Skip to content

Question about Ankheg's Acid Attack

Alrighty, so I was out in the area where you emerge from Mulahey's lair, and encountered some Ankhegs.

I went in for the attack and things seemed to be going fine, but then I noticed Dynaheir was no longer in the party. Now, in my previous encounters with Ankhegs, their acid damage could be severe, even insta-kill. But, Dynaheir's items are not dropped anywhere, and I did not see it happen--the green spray incoming, Dynaheir screaming her death. Can the acid attack vaporize the items you're wearing, or what? Did the game bug out on me?

I'm trying to decide whether this is a legit reason to reload; if not, I'll just accept her death and move on.

Any ankheg lorists out there?

Comments

• hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    In P&P D&D items have saving throws against acid, dragon fire, disintegrate spells, and the like, and I know certain deaths (disintegrate spell for one) can vaporize items in BG. I have no idea how this is implemented in the BG with acid, but it's not outside of D&D canon.

The items are a rough loss, but IMO Dynaheir isn't my top pick for mage so you can replace her easy enough.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Acid damage is not supposed to make items disappear, even if it chunks allies. Maybe her items are hidden somewhere?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Acid damage can perma-kill, but the victim just stays on the ground, with her items. I think Dynaheir and her items are sleeping around somewhere on the map. Maybe she ventured out on her own (pathfinding ai) and an ankheg claimed her.

You may rp that she got eaten by an ankheg:in such case both Dyna and her belongings would be permanently digested, err, lost. Nature, you scary!
    JuliusBorisovDexter
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2015
    Are you sure she made it out of the Nashkel Mines? Its possible she was chunked by an ooze in them. They do 2d8 damage with their ranged attack so its certainly possible for them to have chunked her, especially if you are playing on a difficulty setting greater than core.
  • MenocuMenocu Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the input, guys.
    elminster said:

Are you sure she made it out of the Nashkel Mines? Its possible she was chunked by an ooze in them. They do 2d8 damage with their ranged attack so its certainly possible for them to have chunked her, especially if you are playing on a difficulty setting greater than core.

Actually, I'm back in this area after simply exiting it before. I'm currently between the bandit-camp and the mines, chapter-wise. She was definitely with me as the encounter began. And her death wasn't signaled by Minsc's usual freak-out at Dynaheir's death script.
    lunar said:

Acid damage can perma-kill, but the victim just stays on the ground, with her items. I think Dynaheir and her items are sleeping around somewhere on the map. Maybe she ventured out on her own (pathfinding ai) and an ankheg claimed her.

Well, if what you and DJKajuru say is true, then her items should be on the ground nearby, somewhere. Using [tab] and scanning thoroughly turns up nothing. Since they're nowhere to be found on the map, I'm inclined to think that there's been some kind of bug--I'm at a loss to explain it.

I guess I'll permit myself a reload, though I'm not yet sure I want to take up the privilege; maybe I'll just let Dynaheir have her mysterious disappearance.