Skip to content

Shakti Figurine being weird

So I don't understand why the defense boost the figurine gives seems to be different for each of my characters. The description says -5 to AC but I used it for Haer'Dalis and he got an extra -8 onto his normal AC. Then I try with Viconia and she only gets an extra -4 to her normal AC. Anyone understand why this might be happening?

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    My understanding is that it doesn't give you a 5 point bonus, but rather it sets your base AC to -5, before other modifiers. Armor/bracers also work by setting base AC, so the Shakti Figurine doesn't stack with armor. If Viconia's wearing AC -1 armor, and Haer'Dalis is wearing AC 3 armor (bracers?), that would explain the changes you're seeing to the final value. If not... I don't know.
  • NatenNaten Member Posts: 138
    edited April 2015
    alright I figured it out. So armor does not affect it at all but the things that do are AC bonuses from Dexterity, Shields, Rings, etc. I must be tired not to clue in on that right away :expressionless:

So I believe I found a way to make this thing actually a little bit useful.. well as useful as I can think of anyways. Really its only good for a temporary AC boost and the Haste, but with the right character this can be a significant boost. The +4 short sword is the only real problem and so you need to use the Black Blade of Disaster spell and this will replace the +4 short sword.

Still not a great item by any means but it does have some worth. Sorta. Would be nicer if it lasted longer than 4 rounds...
    Post edited by Naten on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    The main problem with the figurine, to my eyes, is that it comes late enough that very few squishy characters will be made substantially less squishy by the AC bonus. Might be useful on a swashbuckler, or a cleric with a shield, but that's probably about it. It's a cool item, but I've never really found a good use for it.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    In ToB, fighters are the squishy ones :P Casters have buffs up the wazoo and couldn't care less about AC.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Well often, @Lord_Tansheron, and especially if (like myself at the moment) you're taking Wilson with you, since the only thing he can do is front-row melee and he's definitely squishy for that in ToB.

Nevertheless, casters can still be awkwardly squishy if you forget (or deliberately don't meta-game) which buffs your casters will need in a particular situation! For example, I was fighting the Ravager in ToB a few minutes ago, and I omitted to protect Neera against cold damage from the Bone Blades ... with the result that once they targetted her, she couldn't cast because she kept getting disrupted through her Stoneskin by the elemental damage, so suddenly she looked a little squishy.

Nevertheless, though Neera was carrying the Shakti Figurine, I didn't actually bother using it, since the Ravager was taking damage much faster than she was, and went down in about the third (?) round. Magic (except buffs) doesn't seem to be much use in that fight, IMO, since it's high-speed melee against high-MR enemies, and usually all over before you can get much done with spells.

I rather agree with those here who find that the Shakti Figurine isn't as useful as it might first appear, although it's a credible option to have around for a squishy who gets cornered. About the only situation where I've found a real use for it is when I've sent in a squishy Thief to backstab, but then want the Thief to be able to stand in melee after the backstab instead of ducking for cover.

Yes, it only lasts 4 rounds ... but heck, that's long enough in many battles, even some boss battles. I also don't see @Naten's need for re-equipping with the BBoD ... I never use BBoD (except perhaps in the Final Battle), since Disintegration destroys loot. The Figurine's standard +4 sword will hit most enemies.
  • NatenNaten Member Posts: 138
    With a save vs. death at +4 to be disintegrated it is very rare for that to happen but I completely understand.