Skip to content

BG2:EE SCS bug with Maevar's Guildhall Quest

LockjawLockjaw Member Posts: 3
Hi guys. Long time Baldur's Gate player, first time posting in this forum.

I've run into a bug initiating the Maevar's Guildhall quest. I am running BG2:EE on a Windows 8 machine with a large amount of mods installed. I can give the list of mods on request. The one I believe that is creating my problem is SCS (v. 29). If you need any more details (level, party members, current quests, whatever) I can do so on request.

During Chapter 2 I went to visit Renal Bloodscalp so I could start the Maevar's Guildhall quest. This is primarily because I want to recruit Edwin. When I speak with Renal the conversation starts as usual, with him asking me to perform a task for him and telling me about Mae'Var. We go through five or so lines of dialogue, then when he says "But without proof of betrayal, this would anger the other guildmasters and then I'd have a war on my hands and, well, just let it lie that I don't want that" I press the continue dialogue button and the conversation abruptly terminates. The game terminates the conversation as though I had pushed an "end dialogue" button.

I can initiate dialogue with Renal again and we repeat the process as many times as I like. He tells me he needs my help, I ask him questions, then when I ask "what do you want me to do?" he gives me five or so lines of dialogue and then the conversation abruptly cancels. I can't get to the end of the conversation where the quest is actually initiatied. As a result, I can't enter Maevar's guildhall because the doors are locked and the storekeep doesn't recognize me or let me in, and I can't recruit Edwin.

Has anyone else had this problem with SCS? Can I use the CLUA console to set the status of the quest to initiated?

Comments

• ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    1. For having best and proper install order, use BWS http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/624623/#Comment_624623
    2. SCS 28/29 had some problems, use new version.
  • LockjawLockjaw Member Posts: 3
    I used this post to guide my mod install order: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23726/bgii-ee-compatible-mod-list/p1 . This post is stickied on the forum and the recommended order, so I think that should take care of it.

I'm pretty sure I'm using the newest version of SCS. I downloaded it five days ago and installed it. If you go to the Gibberlings3 website and download the newest version of SCS you get version 29.

Do you really think it's worth uninstalling everything and reinstalling the mods with BWS? That's a big time commitment for what appears to be no change at all.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    After reinstallation you game saves would be incompatible so indeed maybe it's better to try to fix this via variables manipulation.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    It's definitely version 30 on the G3 site. I've got no idea about your issue though sadly. Someone might spot something wrong in your weidu log if you post it.
  • LockjawLockjaw Member Posts: 3
    Okay I fixed my own problem and I know what was wrong.

The issue wasn't with SCS. The problem was created by the Banter Packs mod (http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=95&Itemid=78)

Evidently, whenever you are engaged in a conversation that would trigger mod-added comments/banter if that NPC currently is not in the room, the game fails to find the NPC and terminates the conversation. When I talked to Renal, I had some NPCs downstairs shopping and searching containers while my main character was upstairs talking with Renal. Because Korgan wasn't on the upstairs map, the banter pack checked for Korgan's presence, couldn't find him in that room, and so aborted the conversation at the moment of the failed operation.

To solve the problem, you have to make sure you have all of your NPCs in the same room whenever you talk to a quest-related NPC. I've had this problem repeat itself several times in other quests and circumstances and fixed it by bringing the entire party into the same room. Spreading people around to run errands in different parts of the Docks region, for example, creates real problems.

What is a weidu log? And how do I post it?
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    It's a text file named WeiDU located in your main game directory. It details the mods you've installed, which components, and in which order. It's sometimes useful to spot a conflict.

Now that you mention how you fixed it, I think I did run into that one a couple of times. Can't remember where now, but it definitely sounds familiar.