Skip to content

Technical question for the Devs (or anyone else who might know ^^)

MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
Ok as some of you know, there is certain amount of people that enjoys BG1 animations more. @AndreaColombo i'm sure will agree on that! :P

So, my question is, if, let's say, i wanted to use the Infinity Animations mod or something equivalent, in BG:EE, which allows the use of the BG1 avatars for my characters, will the engine automatically upscale and refilter them for high resolutions, like you're doing for the BG2 avatars?

In other words, the graphics of BG are upscaled. Is this something done automatically by the engine for whatever graphics you use, or is it something you do manually to the graphic assets before you use them in the game?

If we use a way to bring the BG1 animations to the game, for those of us who want it (even without dual wielding), will the BG1 animations be upscaled-anti-aliased-refiltered-whatever by the engine and look fine, or is it extra work you need to do to upscale the animations seperately because they're gonna look pixelated elseway?

I'm trying to understand how it works, to see if you need to work extra for it, and thus the request that was made some time ago is extra weight on your shoulders, making it improbable.

Also, have you considered making them available although not used, so we could tweak the option with an editor?

Thanks for reading, and for the AMA you did, unfortunetely, i failed to subscribe and participate, i am getting my ass handed to me as well with exam preparations as we speak >_<

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    I'll tag @nop about upscaling and... well, @ScottBrooks about the inclusion of BG1 character animation to the game resources even if unused (which is something I have already requested, so hopefully there's going to be a yes somewhere in Scott's answer- at the beginning would be nice ;)).
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    i don't think the program will auto upscale. it is possible but typically the process is that one of two things. Either they run it through a program and the results are better but crappy, or they go through and manually do it, which looks better, but takes longer. The passion i've see so far suggests to me that they're doing everything manually, so i don't think that adding anything foreign to the game will auto upscale.

Just my 2 cents, i could be 100% wrong.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, i was wondering about it some time, because if the game doesn't auto upscale everything, and they need to do it externally and manually, well it makes the request of making BG1 animations available more difficult.

We won't be able to use mods like Infinity Animations unfortunately if the anims need to be externally upscaled first. Unless they do everything manually and make it unused but availalbe.

Which is why i'm hoping the engine upscales any graphic you use in game depending on the resolution. I can't imagine they did everything manually for every zoomed version as well, but i have no idea how ti works exactly to be honest.

Either way, it would be interesting to know at least the possibility of such a feature.