Skip to content

Perilous Journey

Greetings!

I purchased BG1&2 EE recently and am excited to start my epic journey through the universe! Ive played BG1 and 2 many many years ago, never finished it, and don't remember much today. Essentially I am starting fresh.

My approach usually tends to have me exhaustingly searching forums and guides to find just the right fit, but not spoil any more than that! There are so many options, and in doing so I have become hopelessly confuzzeled as to what I should go for. Originally it was going to be an archer, then I read about late game difficulties... My roleplaying side would like to have a natural alignment character. One at home with nature. A mix of bows, magic and two big ass swords for when things get ugly.

Anyone have some recommendations?
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2015
    Stalker sounds like it's what you're looking for. Out of the Ranger classes they're the only ones that can cast arcane spells as well as divine. Although, keep in mind that they only start getting divine spells at level 8 and arcane spells at level 12. In addition, they only get three spells, which are Haste, Protection from Normal Missiles and Minor Spell Deflection.

Out of the Ranger kits, Stalkers are the only ones that can wield weapons like swords effectively as Archers only get proficiency and Beast Masters can only use wooden weapons. Also, they get two-weapon fighting for free.

In short, I'd recommend Stalker.
    joluvJuliusBorisov
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    edited April 2015
    Stalker is a good suggestion, but I wouldn't go as far as saying Archers can't wield swords effectively.

Other than Rangers, your only pure-class options for characters that can use bows and swords and cast spells are Undead Hunter, Blackguard, and Bard (including kits). Dual- or multi-classing opens up more options, but none of them will be as explicitly nature-based as Rangers.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    The Archer is good through the entire saga (just don't go longbows, they're a trap in the long-term), but you'll want to use ranged weapons almost exclusively, especially as the game goes on.

Alternatively, you might have fun with a fighter/mage or a fighter/druid (although fighter/druids can't use bows). Both add some serious spellcasting, and eventually become very powerful without sacrificing a huge amount of physical power.
    JuliusBorisov
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Unless you're planning on only playing the game once, and want the best possible outcome from that one playthrough, may I suggest that you go with your natural inclinations for your first game. In other words; be yourself, make a note of ways in which your character falls short or could be 'improved' (or tweaked more to your taste) and bear these in mind for your next game. Don't forget that if a character doesn't 'work' for you, you can always abort that game and roll a new character. Also there are plenty of npcs that you can recruit to fill any holes in your skillset.
    HeindrichJuliusBorisov
  • erik.erik. Member Posts: 2
    Hey Guys,

Thank you for all the advice! I ended up going with a half-elf, fighter/mage for the run through. Going with two long swords as the main attack, and magic as my defense.

I gave up on the range based on reading about later bosses and enemies being hard to hit with archery, and appropriate ammo being rare. Stalker also didn't vibe well with my rp ideals. Perhaps I read into it wrong, but something about sneaking around isn't my jib.
    dunbarjoluvMhamza
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    You've ended up with arguably the strongest class in the game. I'm sure it will serve you well.
    JuliusBorisov