Skip to content

New Portrait Sample (AMAA)

Comments

• MetaSiegMetaSieg Member Posts: 26
    It's a very nice portrait overall I think. I do agree that the style clashes with the other portraits but I almost always use custom portraits anyway so it doesn't really matter to me.
  • neokarnyneokarny Member Posts: 39
    Syntia13 said:

Ahhh, no. No it's not. It's like saying that paintings by Van Gogh are really exactly like the ones by Da Vinci, and people just are hung up about their favorite era. Please take a look at those pictures again. Old ones are all about realism. The new one (1) is all about impressions.
    (And my favorite are still BG2, which are all about kinda-realistic fantasy).

I really don't think your analogy properly parodies my point. I'll clarify.

My point:
    If BG had been released with both styles [or, had been part of their memories], then people wouldn't be as biased about one or the other as they are now. It wasn't released with both styles [or, hadn't been part of their memories]. Thus, people are biased about one or the other as they are now.

Your parody of my point:
    If paintings by Van Gogh are exactly like the paintings by Da Vinci, then people are hung up only because of their different eras. Paintings by Van Gogh are exactly like the paintings by Da Vinci. Therefore, people are only hung up because of their different eras.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I love it, always good to see more IWD style art. IWD's portraits were the best IMHO, then BG1, then BG2.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012
    @Neokarny I'm with you on this. I say if people don't like that style because it doesn't fit with the other portraits, because they don't like the artwork, whatever reason, just don't use them.

If I was honest I'd say any new portraits should TRY to match the originals, just to be consistent. But since they got the IWD guy Jason Manley to do them, I don't care.

They're beautiful and when you make them smaller for the game they look like a NWN portrait. :D

Also @Syntia13 and Neokarny, both of you need to read this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    http://i.imgur.com/N4s6x.jpg

I am lovin' this portrait! Very cool.
  • NancyButtpeachNancyButtpeach Member Posts: 38
    The portrait is okay. I still want the classic wizard with the pointed hat.
  • neokarnyneokarny Member Posts: 39
    @Ward Yeah, ultimately it comes down to "use it if you like it, don't use it if you don't like it."

I don't see where you're going with the Wiki link on reductio ad absurdum. I didn't give that form of argument, and Syntia13 attacked a strawman of my argument.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    neokarny said:

Syntia13 said:

I really don't think your analogy properly parodies my point. I'll clarify.
    My point:
    If BG had been released with both styles [or, had been part of their memories], then people wouldn't be as biased about one or the other as they are now. It wasn't released with both styles [or, hadn't been part of their memories]. Thus, people are biased about one or the other as they are now.

I still have to disagree. They don't clash because one is familiar and the other is new, they clash because they are done in completely different styles. And they would not blend better if they'd been included in the old BG either - and it's not just a stubborn conjecture on my part, this is something I can give you an argument for. There is one picture which had been a part of BG2 from the very start, and it made me go "What the heck is this, and what is this doing in this game?" whenever I saw it. It was Bohdi's avatar. It made me cringe every time it popped up, because (apart from having something really weird going on with her hair) she was so far removed from all the other art in the game. Different proportions, different lines, different lighting, different color palette... It just stood out too much. It bugged me then, and is still bugging me today. Of course, one might argue that this was done on purpose, Bohdi was after all a malicious and powerful undead and she had a reason to stand out from the rest of the world.

However, then came ToB, and with it more avatars for non-joinable NPCs, and they had the exact same "problem" - they plain didn't fit with the artstyle left over from the main BG. I remember Mellisen and the Solar being worst offenders, who made me want to cover part of the screen whenever I talked to them. Thankfully Sarevok had a portrait that look like a blend of BG2 general style and BG1 back-lighting, otherwise I don't think I'd ever use him.

So my point is, nostalgia has very little to do with people saying that the new style on the portrait stands out too much. It stands out because it's very different. People may like it less, equally or more than the original style, but it's doesn't change the fact that it stands out. :)
    neokarny said:

Your parody of my point:

Uhh... it wasn't meant as parody. It was meant as a metaphor/simile/whatever to better explain my point. In other words, I wasn't trying to make fun of you, I was trying to explain what I think in a way that I thought would be easy to understand. I guess it failed. :(
    neokarny said:

If paintings by Van Gogh are exactly like the paintings by Da Vinci, then people are hung up only because of their different eras. Paintings by Van Gogh are exactly like the paintings by Da Vinci. Therefore, people are only hung up because of their different eras.

O_O I know there is some metaphor behind this, but I can't find it, because the literal meaning just broke my brain. I think I'll go and lie down for a bit...
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    edited September 2012
    Any idea how many PC portarits Manley is doing for the EE? Wondering if he is going to try to cover as many PC creation variations as he can.
    Post edited by Risingsun on
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I don't like the style to change not because it's bad but because the other portraits will be in the original style. THAT would be the mismatch.
  • DaveDave Member Posts: 200
    Aosaw said:

Writers rarely sell their characters well enough, if they're doing their job right. @Dave is a solid writer, and I trust him to do his job right.

I also trust @PhillipDaigle to kill enhance all of Dave's jokes. :)

The biggest favor Phil and I usually do for each other is, "I don't get it."

• mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Icewind Dale portraits are the best!! I welcome any portrait in that style!
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    Oooh... a Canadian hero on Toril. Interesting.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I'm really excited for all those portraits. And afterwards, if Beamdog is still bored, re-doing every NPC Manley-style would make a lot of pandas very happy, I guess.
  • unfortunate_oneunfortunate_one Member Posts: 44
    if this pic was just "sharpened up" it would look dead on like a BG portrait.
  • serabietserabiet Member Posts: 52

I'm really excited for all those portraits. And afterwards, if Beamdog is still bored, re-doing every NPC Manley-style would make a lot of pandas very happy, I guess.

Bored haha ;_; Really likely. But yes, that'd make several of this panda's days.

I'm probably very biased as I've fangirled and tried to monkey Manley since forever (the mood, values, colours, technique, all the things gahh!), so love it and everything else coming our way. Sure, doesn't match the original BG portrait style but I don't personally have much of a nostalgic attachment to that anyway, it's a bit too polished clean to suit a dirty sweaty band of adventurers. Certainly not saying that to diss the original artist's work, it is wonderful, just you know, a tad shiny. Welcoming new art with open arms! <3
    Thanks, @JasonManley. Very glad to hear you chime in to our discussion :) Out of personal interest, could you tell us whether there will be female half-orc portraits in the new portrait sets?
  • JasonManleyJasonManley Member Posts: 6
    You are welcome and thanks too. I promised to not say anything about the project when I took the commission, so I will have to refer you to the dev team for that answer. Good to meet you all too btw...

JM
    Ah, what a pity. Thanks a lot nonetheless! :) It's great to have you here on this forum. I love the direction (indie) game development is taking, with so much more contact between makers and customers.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Obviously the game is just about to come out, so this seems a silly question to ask, but..

Are we seeing any more portraits prior to the 28th?

I doubt it. Even so, I totally forgot about this addition to the game. Did anybody else forget? *blush*
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited November 2012
    The beta testers just got their first glimpse at them recently. I think you'll like what you see. The difference at small scale really helps them blend with the originals, and there's some really great variety.

The lizardfolk in the pink dress kind of stands out, though... ;)

EDIT: (Dang, forgot to include the "I heard a rumor..." moniker on that last bit.)
  • DeathMachineMiyagiDeathMachineMiyagi Member Posts: 120
    I find it interesting that some people in this thread dislike that it looks like the Icewind Dale portraits. After Icewind Dale was released, I don't think I ever used any of the BG portaits in BG again; the Icewind Dale portaits were just so much more varied and considerably better done.

More Icewind Dale-like portraits for BG:EE? Bring it on, I say. What is to some a vice, to me is a virtue.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I actually never liked the IWD portraits. I don't really know why, I just didn't. I guess the style just didn't appeal. But then I never really liked IWD in general, I just didn't get on with the 'create all 6 characters' feature. I don't generally like games where you create all the party members.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I hope there's a good new character portrait to suitable to use for a female elf fighter/mage...

I hope there's a good new character portrait to suitable to use for a female elf fighter/mage...

That would be great!
  • Medivh1234Medivh1234 Member Posts: 95
    edited November 2012
    its not baldurs gateish , but still it something that i could see selecting from my char.. still.. its more icewindale.... but thats not a bad thing, i always figured Icewind dale portraits to be more "baddass" that assassin portrait and the warrior with the mask ranking high up
  • shredstallionshredstallion Member Posts: 21
    Does any body know of a place we can download portrait packs for this game?