Skip to content

Static Charge?

I've seen a few comments that this spell does not stack. Has this spell changed at all in IWDEE so that is truly the case? In the post-HoW days prior to EE, this spell was one of the major reasons to take a druid; with multiple static charges going, a druid (or more precisely, a F/D multi or dual) was a great damage dealer as a 2nd or 3rd meleer. 100+ electrical damage every other round was incredible, even on HoF.

If that's no longer possible, I'll be upset. :(

Comments

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    The spell doesn't stack in EE.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Also, if I recall correct it was previously possible to make a charged druid invisible to further exploit the immense power of this spell. However, I noticed that in IWDEE this is no longer possible. Certainly makes soloing HoF with a druid slightly less cheesy and more of an enjoyable challenge.
  • AerichAerich Member Posts: 159
    So I take it that it's not possible to have more than one charge in operation at any one time? That sucks, as it really cuts down on the damage and on the predictability of the damage after the first cast. Oh well, more thorns and waves...

I don't care about having no more invisible druid cheese, I only did that once out of curiosity as to how many HP spectral guards had on HoF.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

Is the description of that dpell correct? Says something like "affects one enemy, and then once again each turn." Each ten rounds?? Most combats don't last more than ten rounds. The way it reads, it looks useless.

It does a large amount of damage every 10 rounds which evens out to a small amount of damage every round. Fire and forget free damage, never a bad thing.
    I will test it out in the next couple of days, as I've finally played a party to the point where I have access to it now. :)

If the way it is now you can only have one in place at a time, it's less of a no-brainer choice at druid spell lvl 4. You used to be able to get several going at once, resulting in your druid doing 100-200 electrical damage about every other round when clearing areas. It was a real perk when loading up the party to burn through a map.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yea activating once each turn makes it pretty meh. Especially given you have to be in combat during that round.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I never had too much luck with this type of spell, it was a strong exploit, but I agree if you DON'T exploit it wasn't that useful. Its not bad, but Animate Dead is clearly a better spell, though it always seemed to work INCREDIBLY well for the computer when THEY cast it. :grimace:
    edited April 2015
    After testing... Static Charge is not useless, but it's also not a given anymore that one should fill up a druid's 4th lvl spell slots with it. It does not appear to "stack", precisely, but subsequent casts while one is active do work at least to the extent that you get the initial charge. In the Vale, I hit about 5 times that I noticed between two charges, at 30+ to 50+ damage each time. Not bad for a 7th lvl druid, but arguably the giant insect summons is of equal or greater value to a HoF party.

Any insights as to whether a second cast replaces the duration of the first when they overlap (e.g. so that a 7th lvl caster could get a duration of ~13 turns), or does the first casting take precedence?

Edit: And a further question, is the range of the spell (sight of the caster) static in the sense that it's from the spot of the original cast? I thought my charge ran out earlier than it should have.
    Post edited by Aerich on