Skip to content

Anyone else exited by the potential of a having BG:EE available for Linux?

lurimaxlurimax Member Posts: 28
Trent posted on his twitter account that they are in talks to make BG:EE available on Linux. This would be a dream come true for me. Anyone else hoping the talks actually come through with a good result?

Comments

• araxtharaxth Member Posts: 3
    I've noticed that as well. Aside the hardcore fans who happens to be Linux users and that might appreciate playing their fav game on the default OS (i am currently have to keep a small partition with Windoze for gaming purposes), let's not forget that Valve is trying to repeat the MAC boosting performances from few years ago (2010 i think, when they've launched the MAC Steam Client and made MAC gaming a commercial option for dev companies). They are currently close to the Linux Steam client and also close to their very own title Left for Dead 2 Linux launch events. Other companies promised Linux builds for their games as well (see Croteam's Serious Sam 3). Also let not forget that several INDIE studios managed to get their projects enough crowd funded in order to afford a Linux build as well (i.e.Wasteland 2). Oil Rush managed also to surprise the market as well. And big names in game engines are currently available on Linux: Valve's own Source will soon be available native on Linux, same for Unity 4, Unigine is available already and most likely there are other as well.

And if few pioneers (Valve and hopefully Overhaul) will adventure in this expedition, most likely other names (less adventurous ) will consider adding Linux in their development options list.
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    The only reason i use Windows is for games, I`d much rather have Linux on my gaming rig but being a lazy bugger i can`t be arsed to fiddle with Wine.
    I hope Valve gets the ball running so we can chuck Windows in the bin where it belongs.
  • RerelRerel Member Posts: 86
    After the port of L4D2 on ubuntu by valve i hope for a better desktop/games development on Linux too. If A big offerer like Valve goes on Linux I guess a lot more games like BG:EE will be available on it too :-)

Good luck Overhaul! I hope the different platforms/tablets sales will allow you to earn the money you deserv
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I'm not. That's the last thing I need to hear from pretentious Linux users. "Well, it's got Baldur's Gate, so no need for Windows ever lawl."
  • SargielSargiel Member Posts: 35
    I think it'd be great to see Baldur's Gate for Linux. And while we're at it how about a RISC OS port too ;)
  • araxtharaxth Member Posts: 3
    @Schneidend: well, aside the sarcasm, we can't get rid of M$ so fast. There are lots of other important tools running only on Windoze, without a proper alternate on NIX. Think about Photoshop for instance. Or Premiere. People are earning their keep using these toys.

Ofc people should be able to find most of the above mentioned tools available on MAC. While i am not an MAC fan (they are pretty much the Windows PC image in the mirror for me) at a second thought, well...we can actually consider trashing M$ in the recycle bin after all!

And back to the gaming, i suppose we all know Gabe Newel's opinion on the incoming W 8 brr..

Now lets become sarcastic once again :)