Skip to content

Unique items without +x in name: what's their magical level?

IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
edited April 2015 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)

For instance, Rod of Smithing gives +3 THAC0 and +3 damage, but it does not have +3 modifier in its name.

Does it count as magical items, and if it does, what +x enchantment does it have?

There are items without +x in name and different THAC0 and damage(ex. +3 to hit +4 damage); what about those?

There seems to be some inconsistencies because when I used arrows of piercing it didn't damage monster immune to normal weapon, but items without +x in its name were able to damage them.

Could someone clear it out for me? How do I tell enchantment level of an item/ammunition if it doesn't say it in name and has different THAC0 value from damage modifier?

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I'm sure that information is visible in EEKeeper or something, but there's no way to see it within the game if it's not given in the item description. You're right that it's inconsistent, and it has changed between versions for some items. If you ask about specific items, I think people would be happy to tell you.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    edited April 2015
    [double post]
    Post edited by joluv on
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    edited April 2015
    As a general rule, most weapons operate as if they are enchanted up to their bonus, and most with a situational bonus hit as if they are their best situation, unless specified. Hope that was kinda helpful.

That rod is +3 I'm pretty sure. If it can't hit Adamantine Golems, its only +2.

Edit: Oh, certain weapons (esp bludgeoning) have a +x to damage, usually +1, that is innate and non-magical. A Flail +1 deals 1d6+2 damage, but is a +1 weapon.
  • IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
    DreadKhan said:

As a general rule, most weapons operate as if they are enchanted up to their bonus, and most with a situational bonus hit as if they are their best situation, unless specified. Hope that was kinda helpful.

That rod is +3 I'm pretty sure. If it can't hit Adamantine Golems, its only +2.

Edit: Oh, certain weapons (esp bludgeoning) have a +x to damage, usually +1, that is innate and non-magical. A Flail +1 deals 1d6+2 damage, but is a +1 weapon.

Would that rule look at the THAC0 bonus or the Damage bonus if an unique item has different values in each, respectively?

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I would guess the lower of the two will be a safer bet. With the caveat that a Sword +1 (+3 vs shapeshifters) for example should hit as a +3 enchantment, but only have +1 to hit and damage unless fighting a shapeshifter.

In the case of a flail or mace, yes, its usually the lower value.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    As a rule, go by the THAC0 bonus. However if the weapon has a conditional increase against some type of creature (Kondar, The Burning Earth, Daystar, etc.) it will general use the highest possible bonus for determining what it can damage.

Unfortunately, these are not hard-and-fast rules. I think with the EEs most exceptions mention their real performance in their description, but I'm not sure all of them do.