Skip to content

Interplay Reopens Black Isle Studios

2»

Comments

• kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    edited September 2012

Something sounds stranger there, I'm going to keep my eyes on them.

• spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    Uh, has Black Isle appeared because BG has components that are still owned by "Black Isle" in name, and seeing as the company had been disbanded allowed overhaul easier access to the rights?

Now "Black Shill" is back will we be seeing a future lawsuit? They don't appear to be doing anything other than announcing the studio open a few months before BG:EE's release. Never thought Id see the day where I'm nervous about Black Isle coming back.
  • DemossDemoss Member Posts: 52
    Didn't Interplay loose a lot of licenses when they originally went down? I can only think of them still owning maybe Icewind Dale..
  • ThorailenThorailen Member Posts: 1
    If Black Isle is back working on what they do best which is RPGs, I'm hoping that they give Bioware a run for their money. Lately Bioware has disappointed with the quality of RPGs that they've made. The last great RPG Bioware made was Dragon Age: Origins which was said to be the "spiritual" successor to Baldur's Gate, and then they made DAII which turned off a lot of people. The reason why Origins was good is because it kept the Baldur's gate formula. Let's see if Black Isle can carry on the torch again and bring back some good old fashioned D&D style games.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    @Thorailen Dragon Age 2 had its faults, but deviating from the formula wasn't one of them. One could argue with some success that DA2 was the first Bioware game since Baldur's Gate that didn't strictly adhere to the Bioware formula of "You are the [Jedi/SPECTRE/Spirit Monk/Grey Warden] and only you can save the [galaxy/empire/world] from [the Sith/the Reapers/Death's Hand/the Blight], but first you must find [the Starforge/the Conduit/a team for a suicide mission/allies/the spirit amulet/allies] by going to these three or four places we will tell you to travel to. Can't speak for NWN, but that was more of a toolset than game, anyway.

Dragon Age 2 actually is closest to Baldur's Gate thematically, as it really is about someone coming from nothing and adventuring their way to greatness. It just also happened to be horribly rushed, which caused a lot of surface flaws that were difficult to ignore.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    Jalily said:

It's in name only. It won't involve anyone who was actually a part of Black Isle and made it good. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Agreed, but sadly, not everyone may be aware that it is in name only. Thankfully, I know people (myself included) who will be more than happy to clarify upon overhearing another mention the reformation of Black Isle.