Skip to content

help with dead NPC's body

Dear all,

I am somewhat stuck at this:
after a fight with that lich at the Crooked Crane Inn, Valygar has not survived the fight. His character icon disappeared, and I found his body together with all his inventory on the ground. I can take up his body into my inventory. Now how can I revive him? Resurrect, stone to flesh, freedom all dont help.. he has not been chunked as I still have his whole body with me..
or has he?

What could this guy have encountered? :)

Thx for any help

Comments

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Have you taken him to a temple to get him resurrected there?
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Valygar's body is a plot item. I'm guessing that it doesn't get destroyed even if he gets chunked because you need it to start a major quest.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited April 2015
    He either got disintegrated by the lich, or suffered massive damage from a meteor swarm or cone of cold. These things cause npc portraits to dissapear forever. It is impossible to revive those characters that die of disintegration, or massive fire/cold damage since their bodies are too damaged. (A nasty critical hit from a golem or backstab attack will also chunk the body into pieces, making raising the dead impossible. Not that a lich can cause that sort of thing, ofcourse.) (oh, death from massive level draining will also chunk the character, shattering the body into pieces of stone)

The game is kind enough to give you his body, though, so you can enter Planar Sphere, I think, which is an oddity for if he was disintegrated, though. Disintegration is final and leaves no body to speak of, just some dust which is blown away and carried by the wind. I would label this as a 'bug' or at least something that does not make sense, if the game gives you off his body when he fails a save against disintegrate spell.

Hmm, if all his items were on the ground, he can't have suffered disintegrate, as it destroys all non plot items as well. Ditto for death by ice. Did you see a charred, blackened body on the ground? (Not an item, but the actual body) that sunburn may be from a meteor swarm on sunfire by the lich. Liches love those things.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @lunar: Isn't simple chunking a possibility?
  • enterconsoleenterconsole Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2015
    Hmm, first thanks for the quick answers! I was checking with NearInfinity, and indeed he has -28hps(!!), speaking for being chunked (though his selection state is not dead yet..). As I still need to finish the final mage stronghold quest, joluv and lunar, your explanation sounds quite plausbile - I just might need Valygars body for completion. I faintly recollect he might have been turned to stone during the fight, and shattered afterwards thanks to the liches friend, the pitfiend.

As for the charred body, I can drop it on the ground, and it looks quite untoasted.

I guess I just take it as some sort of a bug and go through the fight once again, as its such fun

Cheers :)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    joluv said:

@lunar: Isn't simple chunking a possibility?

@joluv ofcourse, but chunking from pyshical damage is beyond what liches can do normally. Pit fiend may have caused it, though. Or you mean chunk by fire or lightning? We should see the charred body then, unless ofcourse, when Valygar dies outside of the party the game script destroys its 'body' (the avatar we see in game) and drops the body 'item' you can carry around? It all makes sense then.

What I mean from the charred body, is not the item you carry around, it is literally the avatar of the character you see in game. When a character is slain by massive fire, lightning or acid damage, the body stays intact but is charred and stays in the spot where the character met his demise. The npc portrait dissapears as if the npc was kicked out of the party. That npc is gone forever.

In Valygar's case, if he dies of chunking while in party, the game may just destroy its avatar and drop the body item in its place. As if he was killed out of the party. Makes sense and actually is an ingenious game mechanic. Because it would be foolish if there was Valygar's avatar body on the ground and you also carry around his body as an item.