Skip to content

Monk-y Business

FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
[Yannir, if you haven't done the Rasaad quest yet, you are FORBIDDEN to read this. Nuff said; you have been warned.]

[This means you Yannir! I'm not kidding!]

[Fine; don't come crying to me about spoilers then, its all on you.]

On a fine Spring morning, MC and his buds were walking past the City Gates, when a hardly-at-all-suspicious-looking character passed Rasaad a note. The heretical splinter sect was having a meet at an abandoned Amphitheater out in the hills, and yes, there would be punch-n-pie!

Scenting adventure, MC persuaded Anomen, Jaheira, Keldorn and Neera to join him and Rasaad, and the group wandered off into the boonies. Arriving an hour early at the meet, they decided to explore the area. They met a guy who called himself Mr. Money, who offered, for a ridiculous fee, to see them safely to the place. He also suggested they might have an "accident" if they refused. MC told him to get stuffed. A short while later the group came to a fork in the road, followed by a spoon. The trail split in two here as well; one main road and a barely visible side path. Not being a total idiot, MC had a skeleton summoned, which he had wander down the trail ahead; he would follow it as a scout while the rest of the party remained behind.

Pow! Trap after trap went off; apparently set for living flesh, since Mr. Bones in the lead didn't trigger any. The trail looped around in a big circle, joining with the side trail again! Signalling the others to join him, MC healed up, but was in a serious snit. Going onward, there was Mr. Money in the middle of the road! He cackled about his cleverness, and summoned a huge pack of dire wolves to attack. Seriously bad move.

Dire wolves? Please, give me a break! Dire wolves were a threat to MC long ago, but this was just adding insult to injury. Mr. Money went down fast, followed by his mangy doggies. The woods were also full of bears; and yes, bears do stuff in the woods. MC also hated bears, having been mauled by one in the woods around Baldur's Gate. These seemed more interested in eating groundhogs than fighting, but MC poked and prodded and chatted them up until they attacked. (This actually has a bearing later on, so bear with me).

The group also bumped into a small group of adventurers arguing about a loot split. MC offered to mediate; the clueless fools agreed to abide by his decision. Needless to say, MC was no Solomon, and the end result was violence. Shaking their heads at such folly, MC and pals went on.

They arrived finally at the Amphitheater, where an old style revival meet was going on. It was led by a shark-like dude named Hammerhead, who revealed that there was no punch-n-pie here, but it would definitely be served at some Temple a few miles down the road. MC was a bit disappointed, but joined in the spirit of the meet anyway. His shouts of "Preach it!" and "Hallelujah!" may have been a bit over the top; both Hammerhead and Rasaad ended up giving him odd glances, so he toned it down a bit. Half-orcs have NO sense of subtlety. A few minutes later, the meet adjourned, and everyone headed down the road toward the Temple of Doom.

Comments

• FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited April 2015
    En route to the Temple, the party encountered a group of gals calling themselves Selune's Crybabies. Odd name for a group, but apparently appropriate. They proceeded to berate Rasaad, and accuse him of multiple counts of murder involving some of their friends. We protested his innocence, and for a while it looked like violence could be averted, but then ever tactful MC apparently said something that ticked them off and they attacked. End result? More bodies marking the Bhaalspawn Trail.

Rasaad went into a bit of a funk after the fight, until MC slapped him upside the head and told him to man up. Forming ranks once again, the party marched on.

Arriving at the Temple, they wandered across a bridge and, giving the secret handshake, were allowed to pass on. As was MC's habit, he decided to explore the area first before entering the building; he liked to have all routes of retreat scouted out. The group encountered several instances of animal abuse; the creatures were being used to train monks in the art of hand-to-hand combat. Jaheira was upset, and MC made a note to report this to the local ASPCA. He also found a bear in a cage, and as his wont, proceeded to poke it with a stick and chat it up. Amazingly enough, the bear talked ...errr, growled ... back! WTH? The bear revealed that his name was ... sit down now and take a deep breath ... something that sounded vaguely like Wilson.

MC was flabbergasted; he had spent a full day (well, 30 minutes real time) combing the woods around the Wild Mage hideout looking for this same damned bear a few months back, and he was here all the time? How? This place is about as far from the Wild Mage refuge as you can get! Arg! MC paid off the animal trainer, the bear cage was opened, and Wilson promptly ran off, hopefully never to be seen again, without even a word ... err, growl ... of thanks. And people wonder why MC hates bears.

Having had quite enough of exploring the area, MC led the way into the Temple proper.

edited April 2015
    MC led the way into the Temple, where some smarmy git superciliously informed the group that they would have to undergo rigorous testing in order to prove their worthiness to join the followers of the Twofold Way. Excuse me; you're forming a splinter heretical sect and you're actually turning down applicants? OK, you DO need some sort of screening process to avoid spies and infiltraters ... well, like us, actually ... but no need to get extreme about it. OK, so we agreed to undergo the testing.

First challenge; reveal a secret? The wimp ahead of MC revealed that he had stolen some kid's lunch money years ago, and was met with the appropriate derision from the questioner. MC, on the other hand, proudly revealed that he was the son of Bhaal, and would probably come back some day, rip the guy's living heart out of his chest, and eat it in front of him. Suitably impressed, the proctor waved MC on.

Two more challenges tested MCs combat ability; cleverly enough, the rooms were bathed in bright light and then in shadow. About the only thing half-orc berserkers do well is kill things; there was no contest.

Last trial: MC had to take off all his protective stuff and get whacked around. This guy reminded MC of the sadistic trainee tester in the Shadow Thieve's Guild. He began to beat MC while shouting stuff about recanting his devotion to the two fold goddess. It took all of MC's patience; he managed to endure by entertaining fantasies about ripping the guy's arm off and beating him to death with it.

Half dead, MC finally passed the ordeal, and was allowed to get his gear back. Whew! Tests over, hopefully, MC rejoined his group. OK, MC had certainly been served the punch, but apparently there was no pie left. Damn!
    [This is a good place to break for lunch; that mention of pie made me hungry. To be continued]
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    If you are not done with tests (i.e. One remains), do go outside, sleep and save before taking the last one. You will need it.
    MC sat and pondered, looking at the carnage surrounding him. Heaps of dead monks, the twitching remains of elementals and undead warriors, himself and Keldorn on their last legs, exhausted from combat and pale from loss of blood ... and Jaheira, Anomen, Neera and Rasaad were numbered among the slain as well!

How had it come to this? One final test, that of penance, had been passed by the simple expedience of making up some nonsense about a monk he had never heard of, and ratting her out. Leaving the room, he bumped into the Master of Combat. Together, he and Rasaad planted the seeds of doubt in his mind, by averring that the two men known as Callous and Algernon were in fact one and the same.

While he pondered this, a call to arms was suddenly issued; the Dark Side forces were attacking! To arms! We all rushed outside; the initial defense line of a few monks had already gone down. The leader of the Dark Side, Callous Algernon himself, was there cackling over his own cleverness. There then followed the mandatory exposition, wherein the villain proclaims how smart he is and how his plan was foolproof. MC tossed in a remark saying that he appreciated such cleverness, but that was just so that he appeared to be clever himself. In point of fact, the entire deception had him confused. No matter, a fray looked to be in the offing!

Remembering his old mentor's battle cry, "Now Groo does what Groo does best!", MC prepared for combat most dire. Heck, these were just monks, right? A bunch of pushovers, right?

Umm ... not quite.
    edited April 2015
    Seriously, this had to be the hardest fight of MC's career. The foe were both numerous and well led, with tactics far superior to that moron Firkraag. It was a totally confused mass melee; MC had looked around several times, and it was hard to even tell friend from foe.

Anomen pulled three skeletal warriors out of his hat, Jaheira called up a fire elemental, MC summoned up an efreet and an air elemental and Neera contributed a skeletal warrior and an invisible stalker ... and these were fairly rapidly chewed up by enemy monks. Fists of Fury indeed! In fact, his efreet joined the enemy, having been hit by something or other that our side had tossed. Hard to find loyal summonings these days.

The enemy had spell casters! Priests and sorcerers started doing their thing; Jaheira countered with her patented Insect Plague. but there were a bunch of them, and some spells went off.

Suddenly, assassins, invisible until now, made their appearance and ... backstabbed our reserve line of spell casters for ... 5x damage? Ouch! Neera took a pounding despite her stoneskin, as did Anomen. Jaheira, summoning exhausted, started spreading call lightinings liberally around the battlefield with her staff of thunder, starting with the assassins nearest to her.

Meanwhile, Rasaad was duking it out with old Algernon, and, despite liberal use of flaming sun stuff, was getting the worst of it. The enemy was well supplied with healing potions, and made good use of them. MC recalled, much too late, that he had forgotten to give Rasaad any of his! Rasaad went down before we could toss him some. Sorry guy, my bad!

MC ran back to engage the assassins, but before he could bring them down, both Neera and Anomen were taking dirt naps. MC's revenge was swift but somehow less than thrilling.

Even MC, who had almost forgotten what a real fight was like, was getting pounded by monks and had to take some time out for healing. Keldorn really needs better armor; he was chugging potions like an alcoholic on a Night Train binge. Meanwhile one sorcerer was peppering our one remaining spell threat, Jaheira, with what looked to be magic missiles.

Our monks were all down except for the Master of Combat, who managed to put down old Algie, and then went looking for more foes to whack. Meanwhile, Jaheira had ... fallen asleep? No idea how that happened, but a spell from Mr. Sorcerer put her down as well. Well, not much was left moving; at least MC could finally see what was going on. The Master and the two remaining Dark Side monks had neutralized each other. All that was left were MC, Keldorn, and one enemy sorcerer who somehow had avoided the Insect Plague bugs.

Keldonr and MC both reached the enemy spellcaster at the same time, wound up with their fearsome weapons, and struck! Again! And again! And their mighty blows ... bounced off??

Ahem. This was embarrassing. Apparently, this guy had taken the precaution of casting a protection from magic weapons on himself. Even Lilarcor had no snarky comments to make. Carsomyr can dispel magic, but apparently needs to actually hit something to do so, and since it's a magic weapon ... well you can see the problem here. So, like any good berserker, MC dropped his weapons, summoned up his last reserves of strength, and BEAT THE SMUG BEGGAR TO DEATH WITH HIS FISTS!

Hah! Take that! Victory, such as it was, was ours! Phyrrus would have been proud.

More work for the rod of resurrection; down to 3 charges left. Damn, we'll need a new one soon!
    Post edited by FrdNwsm on
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Note: if you sell the rod of resurrection and re-buy it, it'll be recharged.
    Jarrakul said:

Note: if you sell the rod of resurrection and re-buy it, it'll be recharged.

Oooh! And I suspect that works for other rods/wands as well? Or any charged item, really. Same laws should apply to all such things. Cute.
    edited April 2015
    PS: I figured to go back to the WIld Mage refuge and see if Wilson made it back; turns out he was waiting for us at the map border, and ... wanted to join our party? umm, no thanks; MC is allergic to bears. See ya, pal!

I wouldn't usually bother but in this case I decided to see what Wilson brought to the table. Yes, you actually have to dismiss one of your members to recruit Wilson. Having done so, you now have a level 9 warrior with IQ and Wisdom of 4, a slew of HP, massive strength and 3 attacks per turn, who can't use weapons or armor of any sort, can only communicate by growls, and has a lousy AC of 4. On the other hand, he actually has an experience point value given, and presumably can rise levels. Oh, and he has animal rage ability, which apparently is similar to berserker rage.

So, if that's your idea of an ideal follower (maybe your folks never bought you that Teddy Bear you wanted when you were a kid?), by all means, go ahead and recruit him. I'll pass.

Post edited by FrdNwsm on
    Wilson is actually quite strong a damage dealer lategame, and you may as well protect him decently with some priest spells such as chaotic commands
    Arunsun said:

Wilson is actually quite strong a damage dealer lategame, and you may as well protect him decently with some priest spells such as chaotic commands

He can just go berserk, for that matter. But, do his claws count as magic weapons? If not, he won't be able to hit half the stuff that's out there.

edited April 2015
    He is much like a monk: he gets additionnal damage, attack per round and enchantment on his paws with his level. In the end, he has +5 paws.
    But much like monk, he gets them quite late which can be annoying at first.
    Basically he becames interesting at level 13, and strong at level 19. In the end he certainly has amongst the biggest damage in game because of his 24 str (he gets some with level) and 5attack per round (10with improved haste)
    So, he's basically Rasaad with different stats. Meh, if I wanted a monk I'd keep Rasaad, who can at least use magic items. Amusing concept, though :smiley:
    edited April 2015
    I think we won ...

[Note: This screen shot was taken after using the rod of resurrection and a couple of raises to get the dead back up; I should have taken one just prior]

Good job, this battle is probably among the hardest you will have to face in SoA.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited May 2015
    Arunsun said:

Good job, this battle is probably among the hardest you will have to face in SoA.

:cough: twisted...:cough: rune...
    Seriously, please please go challenge them if you haven't already. I don't want to give spoilers but I will if you want, I really want to see your experience with that fight as a first timer. :) (warning:extremely difficult optional battle with a wonderful item as a reward!)

Fantastic read as always! You could have skipped the tests if you just attacked the monks in the temple, Dark side will still attack and you will have to cease fight with the two fold people to face the coming threat. The tests give some nice items as bonus, IIRC. (You got those gloves that add ice damage to monk fists, right? Very useful. Even more useufl than the fabled Gauntlets of crushing in some situations)

Also, in my last run Rasaad decided to stay with the twofold temple to help them, and promptly left my party. In my current game he did not do so. (We lost Yoshimo to chunking by Dark moon assasins, though.) so there are multiple endings for the quest.

Alorgoth can't be killed in that battle, afaik, he just dims doors away. He is quite an in-famous villain in Forgotten Realms lore, if I am not mistaken. I look forward to do Rasaad's quests in ToB to give him a butt kicking he deserves!

I rescued Wilson too, but he did not come when I was back to the map entrance. I did not speak with him when he was in the cage, though, so that may be the cause?

lunar said:

I rescued Wilson too, but he did not come when I was back to the map entrance. I did not speak with him when he was in the cage, though, so that may be the cause?

Yeah indeed you have to talk to him before freeing him
    I can't imagine why anyone would think to talk to him; I only did so because MC hates bears, but they don't always attack right away. Not wanting to kill peaceful animals (and offend Jaheira), MC has taken to poking, prodding and babbling to bears he encounters; eventually they almost always turn hostile and attack, which lets him kill them with a clear conscience. He also talks to moose (yes, that is actually the plural form also), hoping to find Bullwinkle again, but no luck so far. Rescuing Wilson was pure serendipity.
    Attacking the monks in the Temple sort of defeats the whole "let's infiltrate and spy from within" concept. I figured there had to be a way to proceed without a wholesale free-for-all erupting, otherwise why bother with all that deception in the first place.

Algie dimension doors away? I didn't see that happen but I could easily have missed it; the first part of the battle was a total hodgepodge.
    edited May 2015
    Arunsun said:

I found the battle a challenge for several reasons.

1) The number of combatants involved. We had MC's party plus the master of Combat plus a few monks of our own; the Dark Side had 2 sorcerers, 2 priests, 2 or possibly 3 assassins, Algie and a bunch of monks. (8? 10? Hard to tell the actual number).

2) Confusion; a real "fog of war" developed. With good and bad guys intermingled, even expanding the view left me with a hard time distinguishing which monks to target.

3) The enemy AI was significantly improved. My usual battle plan involves creating what the Romans called the "acies triplex". Summoned critters in front to take the brunt of the onslaught, second line is tanked melee fighters, third line my more vulnerable spell casters. These guys refused to let that happen, and half their monks flowed past my summoned critters, while the rest engaged (and took them out pretty fast, too). The assassins hitting my rear line from ambush was a heck of a surprise, as well. They also had a rear rank of spell casters providing long range fire support.

4) Fighting one critter, like Firkraag, lets you swarm the enemy with sheer numbers, at least initially until he starts whittling your troops down. You only have one target to worry about in a case like that. Here, a computer is quite capable of commanding 20 some odd troops all at once. Even pausing every 5-10 seconds and scrolling back, it was hard for poor, slow human me to keep track of what the heck was happening. I ended up firing stuff like call lightning at random targets while MC and Keldorn just went for one nearby monk after another, chugging cure potions in between kills.

Yeah it s quite hard to manage such a big amount of combatants indeed. You have to kill those coming for your backline, while still dealing with their own backline. And yeah, the AI is improved for all new content, making such fights real pain. Dealing with a small party of enemies with improved AI is not so hard. Dealing with such a big number is really hard.
    The AI used for all the EE content is very similar to the SCS mod AI, which most experimented players use in order to increase the difficulty level.
    Lunar said:
    ":cough: twisted...:cough: rune...
    Seriously, please please go challenge them if you haven't already. I don't want to give spoilers but I will if you want, I really want to see your experience with that fight as a first timer. :) (warning:extremely difficult optional battle with a wonderful item as a reward!)"

If you want any such thing, I need to know who what or where is/are the Twisted Rune. I have never even heard or read about the term/name/group.
    edited May 2015
    It is an optional fight and you will not have any tip on where it is in any quest. The only way to find it as a new player is chance. It is located in the house just north to the southest house of the bridge district. A house with two doors. Both lead to a tough fight, though not the same fight. You will need a rogue stone to enter twisted rune. Oh and one advice, do make a hard save before entering that fight
    So is Rasaad's quest over for SoA? I can't tell. We went back inside the Temple, but all the monks in there would say was "I wonder when the next attack will be". Rasaad himself has been mum ever since the battle.

And why are there monks still in the Temple? Where were these slackers when the battle was raging outside? We could have used their help!
    FrdNwsm said:

Lunar said:
    ":cough: twisted...:cough: rune...
    Seriously, please please go challenge them if you haven't already. I don't want to give spoilers but I will if you want, I really want to see your experience with that fight as a first timer. :) (warning:extremely difficult optional battle with a wonderful item as a reward!)"

If you want any such thing, I need to know who what or where is/are the Twisted Rune. I have never even heard or read about the term/name/group.

Sure. Here is the door entrance, my char (wild mage in the green robes) stand next to it, this is near the Helm Temple in Bridge District.

You need to have a rogue stone in your posession. There is no hint, no quest, nothing about this in the game (maybe cut content?) other than the brief and vague info text in rogue stone that they are used for 'gemjump' spells.

You will teleport to an infamous organisation named Twisted Rune's secret meeting place, and you can not return untill you kill them all. They are eeeeeevil. And that's about it. So I am not spoiling anything, really. I just want you to not miss this.

Looking forward to your thread about this. :) (make a seperate, named save, like 'farewell to arms' before entering. If you can not beat them you can always load back.)
    FrdNwsm said:

So is Rasaad's quest over for SoA? I can't tell. We went back inside the Temple, but all the monks in there would say was "I wonder when the next attack will be". Rasaad himself has been mum ever since the battle.

And why are there monks still in the Temple? Where were these slackers when the battle was raging outside? We could have used their help!

Yeah I am quite sure that's it about Rasaad's quest in SoA. I have yet to play ToB, though. Looking forward to it. You may beat me to it if you keep it up.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I actually find two of the EE battles (the monk attack detailed here, and the battle in the central room of the Red Wizard Enclave if you're brute-forcing Neera's quest) to be drastically harder than anything else in the base game, including the Twisted Rune. Probably because it's a lot harder to take advantage of the enemy AI in the EE fights.
    Jarrakul said:

I actually find two of the EE battles (the monk attack detailed here, and the battle in the central room of the Red Wizard Enclave if you're brute-forcing Neera's quest) to be drastically harder than anything else in the base game, including the Twisted Rune. Probably because it's a lot harder to take advantage of the enemy AI in the EE fights.

You are right @Jarrakul ofcourse, I forget the vanilla game, in scs the rune fight is a nightmare. In the vanilla I guess it may not be quite as difficult. They remembered to not put Revanek completely naked at least, right?
    SCS Twisted rune is indeed one of the hardest fight in the game. It is not a lot harder than the normal one if you are not cheesing it though. It is just that you cannot cheese it.
    Arunsun said:

SCS Twisted rune is indeed one of the hardest fight in the game. It is not a lot harder than the normal one if you are not cheesing it though. It is just that you cannot cheese it.

That's about it right. I just watched a guy's lets play on youtube and he cheesed the hell out of twisted rune battle. It had become laughably easy. Revanek was naked, and the guy was playing ee, so I guess this bug was not fixed in ee. Could have been a previous patch, though.

But you are right, what makes the battle in two fold temple difficult is that the enemies use scs-like intelligence and scripts. Twisted rune is easily more powerful, but they can not play as smart as the Enhanced Edition content.

Neera's quest in SoA was refreshingly difficult too! I found Hexxat's ones a bit dull compared to Neera's and especialy Rasaad's final battles. That monk fight was one to remember. (And I repeat I lost Yoshi there permanently on my current run. Sniff...never forget.)