Skip to content

Would you like an alignment change feature?

2»

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @bill_zagoudis, those last posts in this thread refeered to a link i previously posted about a system suggestion based on reputation/alignment/status. They don't try to change alignment through a system (what is entirely possible, as PS:T and fallout already did it), but restrict the choices or the effect of those choices based on the triangle system i spoke early.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    I would have to say No, because the alignment is more of a set path you choose.

Alignment is mostly for actual role playing and decision making.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Boaster I've always seen alignment as more of a strong guideline that can gradually shift according to the character's life experiences and how he or she chooses to handle them. That's good roleplaying, IMO. Bad roleplaying is when someone disregards their alignment and makes up justifications for doing whatever they want.

Of course, it shouldn't be easy to change your alignment (that took MANY decisions in PS:T), but it would be silly if roleplaying were limited to making < insert alignment > decisions or if unforeseen situations couldn't influence how your character sees the world or judges the morality of actions. That's like deciding you want to be a good or bad Jedi before you play KotOR and then always picking according to your set path with no actual decision-making or character development whatsoever.
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    edited September 2012
    @bill_zagoudis In that matter the best system was in Knights of the Old Republic. You could done something than explain the motive and either go towards the light or dark side, it only depended on your motives. The same was with pals: even when they didn't like your decisions they could take your side when you explained them good enough why did you do that.

And decisions like: "I am evil and I kill little sheep", "I am good and I kill sheep because peasants are starving", "I am neutral I kill the sheep and eat its meat, I don't care about the sheep and peasants"
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    Not sure if I want this or not. I mean it would be cool but at the same time annoying. I like playing as a pure evil dude, aka, chaotic evil. But if my alignment gets shifted to Chaotic neutral from a simple dialogue choice then I have a problem with it.
  • NouserNouser Member Posts: 53
    edited September 2012
    legion,it is supposed to be a gradual change.

This stuff was included with success in planescape. A game that is old (older than bg2) and has more or less the same engine and was from the same company.
    Post edited by Nouser on
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    I think it might be cool, assuming the alignment change depended on actions you do within the game... It would also be cool if your party members alignment could change, not necessarily on your choices, but your conversations with them, kind of like a romance, only with everybody.... Only completely different.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I'd like it to also penalize people who kill party members to get rid of one they don't like, like sending them out alone naked to fight. So if a party member gets killed by someone in your party, or they are killed alone, apart from the party, you get a minus to your rep/points towards changing your alignment. Because doing that? Evil, pure and simple from the Eighth Dimension! ;)
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    I voted possibly because if it is worth the time for Overhaul to implement (like the excellent virtue mod) then thumbs up. If Overhaul had to prioritize another feature that adds content - such as the flaming fist making a concentrated effort to track down the party if certain actions/choices/circumstances take place then I would vote for that.
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    Nouser said:

legion,it is supposed to be a gradual change.

This stuff was included with success in planescape. A game that is old (older than bg2) and has more or less the same engine and was from the same company.

I see...