Skip to content

IWD:EE - My Theory to Satisfy Everybody

WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
EDITEDIT: Can you guys please give reasons for your vote? No point in voting if you can't speak.

I enjoyed Icewind Dale and I speak as one who is not a regular gamer. I lack such time for playing and the few games I have played are of such quality, regardless of their irrelevant and simple design (most of them being very old).

The story of IWD is one of such quality, but it's not cared for only because of some minor complaints. How do we remedy this now?

So we need to find out what makes a quality game. There are many games on the market now, but they don't serve the purpose they would have 12 years ago. We've reached a height in gaming technology and this allows us to enjoy new features.

These games are highly detailed, articulated and conceived, their programmers are clever in the fields of design and business. These games are marketed for a mass audience, therefore variety is required, as well as artistry which does not conflict with your taste.

This is the mark of a quality game, artistry. Games such as Diablo 3, Dragon Age, Skryim, Call of Duty Series and NWN2 lack artistry, because of their market.

Icewind Dale features:
-> Customly hand drawn area artwork, not generated by a 3D engine.
-> Smooth and sound 2D animations, featuring inbuilt lighting, shading and shadow (rather than a 3D engine's area lighting and plain animations).
-> Attractive 3D effects for explosions and spells.
-> Complete and original musical score devised to compliment gameplay.
-> Voice acting, featuring Jim Cummings (Arundel and Hrothgar). Other superb voices come from Yxunomei, Kresselak, Larrel, the Narrator and Poquelin.
-> Portraits by the wonderful Jason Manley, featuring artwork done in a medium such as watercolour and not 3D generated.
-> "All of these little things, like the story of Everard and understanding Jerrod. The betrayal of the shopkeep in Easthaven. The fisherman drunkard sobering up and you coming home to find him drunk again. The magical sword which you use to defeat the demon. The story of Kresselak, Yxunomei, the Severed Hand, Dorn's Deep and everything from there."

These are things all the games of today lack. Artistry is the foundation of a game, without it, it has no soul. What are the things which IWD lacks, for many of, the players today?

-> Custom six player games are time consuming to create.
-> No NPCs in the game to join, to allow light conversation.
-> Not enough side quests and ability to roam.
-> Not enough kits, items, general build related qualities.
-> Not enough 'main story', the plot is watered out by fighting.

These are all fair enough, despite that I disagree with half of them. What can we do to make us happy?

1. Add more pregenerated characters to import, or entirely pregenerated parties as featured in IWD2. For interactions, add 'generic banter' to the creation process of your characters. This will cause certain characters of your choosing to initate in a set of pre determined banters at random times.
2. Carefully design believable NPCs to place sparingly throughout the game. Due to the size of Easthaven and Kudahar, this limits the number of possible choices. 10 - 20 is not an option.
3. Add more side quests in the towns, such as the 'drunkard fisherman in Easthaven'. Add more areas which expand outwards from the snowy game.
4. Create new kits specific for the setting and borrow some from BG.
5. Don't remove the fighting, add more opportunities for the main story to become relevant during the game.
  1. IWD:EE - My Theory to Satisfy Everybody74 votes
    1. I like these concepts and would like IWD:EE on this basis.
      47.30%
    2. I like these concepts, but would like to change a few things or add something else.
      25.68%
    3. I don't agree with these concepts, but I want an IWD:EE
        4.05%
    4. I don't agree and I don't want IWD:EE
      22.97%
Post edited by Ward on

Comments

• IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    For the most part I agree wholeheartedly, I don't want any NPCs to recruit but if they're added I'm naturally not forced to have them in my party.

Regarding BG kits (as I've said before), I'd much rather have the IWD2 engine applied to IWD1. Including the aforementioned improved/greater two weapon fighting, extend/quicken/empower etc spell and prestiges. If possible. The issue I have with Baldur's Gate kits is that IWD2 - like BG2 has it's own seperate gameplay style, it seems a shame to apply the BG2 format to IWD instead.

Using the IWD2 engine just makes more sense to me. It may be harder to implement but I stand by it. It also seems the more natural option, BG1 gets the BG2 benefits and IWD1 gets IWD2s.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012
    Isair said:

The issue I have with Baldur's Gate kits is that IWD2 - like BG2 has it's own seperate gameplay style, it seems a shame to apply the BG2 format to IWD instead

I definitely agree with this. I wouldn't be annoyed if they added some BG kits, but people are asking for entire engine conversions to BG2. I don't want that at all. IWD is a game of it's own and it operates under a different IE build.

The only issue I have with IWD2 is the GUI, which sucks HARD. Plus I prefer 2nd ed. I never played IWD2 purely because of how bad the GUI and how 3rd edition application was.
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    @Ward IWD2 GUI wasn't THAT bad. I really liked the option to set up up to four different weapon combinations (left hand right hand), so you could switch between them quickly.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I enjoy the plots of the IWD games, I don't think that was ever an issue.

The problem, at least for me, is that in the absence of actual characterization, you don't feel any particular attachment to your party members. I mean, this is the same studio that made Planescape Torment, where I literally had tears in my eyes at the end when your party members start dying one by one. But IWD 1 and 2 doesn't allow that - no banter, no relationships, no personality quirks, just six generic adventurers doing exactly what you tell them to do at all times. The game is what it is, but I wouldn't object to having characters you can actually care about...
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    I think subraces are a must for IWD:EE. One of the most awesome things in IWD:EE was having the NPCs react specifically to my race. Really felt personal - they need more of those elements.
  • hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    Very nice.
    If one would add a few (not necessarily many) NPCs of a quality of BG2, then alone
    this game would double in awesomeness.
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    I really don't see how the banter culd be implanted coherentelly in the game....
  • beerflavourbeerflavour Member Posts: 117
    edited September 2012
    My personal oppinion is to keep IWD as is. Adding class kits from BG2 would only make character creation a longer process due to the increased options. What could be added of course is an integrated random party generator (for those that can't do it by themselves).

If they should release an IWD EE then as Add-On, which contains bug fixes (e.g. negative hitpoint increase on level up is very annoying). The add-on part could either be a new low level, mid level or high level campaign. That would be up to the designers to decide. Of course the OPs suggestions could be considered for this new content.

After all IWD would offer more options for additional (either short, medium or long duration) campaigns. Probably as DLC? Create a party and play the level appropriate campaigns you like with the same party.
  • Rush_that_speaksRush_that_speaks Member Posts: 36
    Don’t waste time on iwd:ee. Bring on bg3.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    name generator. hardest part of 6 chars is coming up with names for them all. i have bjjorick, maybe name one after my wife......my sons........uhhhhhh.......

one of the things i loved about disgaea was that it had auto names. They were generic, but that's fine. i suck at naming things. when i write, i usually name them char 1 char 2 fchar 1 flovechar1, and then later ask people what i should name them. it's a pain, but we all have our faults.

Other then that, i 100% agree :)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited September 2012
    @Shawne and @Talvrae, did you guys know that there are NPC mod packs available for both IWD1 and IWD2?

Jason Compton (Kelsey, Dungeon-Be-Gone) was one of the modders involved in their creation and voicing. (Yes, they're fully voice-acted, not perfectly, but pretty well). You start the game with the party already together in East Haven, and you use them by importing their saved character files onto the game creation screen.

The only drawback to the way they had to do it is that the PC must stay in the party leader position for the whole game in order for the NPC's to run their comments to the player. That means it's really hard to play any non-tanking class. They will still run their banters and interesting stories with each other even if you don't lead, though.

I can find and post links if anyone is interested.

PS - Click "like" if you know and love Olver, Teri, Nella, Severn, and Korin; or Sir Nord, Hildury, Valeroo, Jamael, Rizdaer, Salomeya, Diriel, Nikosh, Peony and Prachi. ;)
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Random party generator would be gorgeous. It can't be that hard to implement, can it?
  • GarmGarm Member Posts: 67
    Talvrae said:

I really don't see how the banter culd be implanted coherentelly in the game....

The beauty of banter is that there's no need for context or coherence. IWD would definity gain with the inclusion of joinable NPCs.

@Talvrae and @Garm, the IWD NPC Project characters comment on events throughout the game, and recognize and have history with game characters like Arundel. What I'm trying to say, is that what you're talking about has already been done. Been there, done that. It's pretty good dialogue, too, written and acted by master modders. I won't play IWD without it, just as I really don't want to play BG1 without the NPC Project, so I hope they get it adapted quickly when BG:EE comes out.
  • GarmGarm Member Posts: 67
    @belgarathmth: Actually, as I stated in my post, I'm all for NPCs in IWD.
  • RabainRabain Member Posts: 39
    Ideally if we could assign banter to our own pregenerated characters it would be a huge step forward.

@Shawne and @Talvrae, did you guys know that there are NPC mod packs available for both IWD1 and IWD2?

I did, but setting aside the mechanical/gameplay issues needed to use them, I wasn't overly impressed with the selection of characters or how they were written. Something just seemed "off" about them...
    edited September 2012
    @Shawne, fair enough. I'm also not completely enthralled with the cast. But even with their imperfections, the experience of playing IWD is so much better with them, I'll take them. And I give a massive thumbs up for the modding teams for their creativity in overcoming a myriad of soft coding problems to provide a better roleplaying experience.

I do wish they had chosen more logical weapon proficiencies for the characters - most of them don't come with ANY ranged weapon proficiency, which is suicidal for low level characters. So I always use Dalekeeper to tweak them just a bit into tactically useable characters.

You can get a *little* bit of rpg feeling by using the vanilla voicesets and your imagination. Some of the lines are quite memorable - "A little fire and lightning should liven things up!" "(Lilarcor's voice): Welp, it looks like I'm going to have to go on a killing spree!" "(Deadpan and ironically sultry and flirtatious female voice): You should fear a woman's wrath."

@Shawne, fair enough. I'm also not completely enthralled with the cast. But even with their imperfections, the experience of playing IWD is so much better with them, I'll take them. And I give a massive thumbs up for the modding teams for their creativity in overcoming a myriad of soft coding problems to provide a better roleplaying experience.

I have a healthy amount of respect for anyone in the modding community, regardless of how I may feel about their various contributions. These are people who, like the folks at Beamdog, put a lot of work into adding to a game they love. I can find fault in the result, but not in the intention. :)

Still, I'm at peace with IWD's deficiencies - it's just one of those things you accept when you pick up the game. That's not to say I wouldn't be thrilled if IWD:EE had NPCs, but... it is what it is, I guess.
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    @ward, IWD2 was pretty buggy to say the least but I still enjoyed it, I found it a good transition from IWD2 to NWN. Having an EE of both IWD & IWD2 would be a chance to fix issues with them both.

I actually had a grand old time creating my party, a day well spent ensuring that they were all ubermensch.

I probably enjoyed IWD2 more than the first, just because it was completely different to BG/BG2/IWD1. Great battles, impressive eye candy and the weapon system was great too. Good story as well, despite what some people say.
    edited September 2012
    Talvrae said:

I'm no programmer so I can't guess. But if they can do what I said, create 'generic banter scripts', generic personalities to set to party members of your choice at the start of the game, which makes them say predetermined lines at random points, easy.

My personal oppinion is to keep IWD as is. Adding class kits from BG2 would only make character creation a longer process due to the increased options. What could be added of course is an integrated random party generator (for those that can't do it by themselves).

I agree with you Beef. But see most of the people here don't like IWD without all the fancy BG stuff glued on, so we get outvoted. The only compromise is to give them SOME of it.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited September 2012
    It's funny, a lot of ppl are afraid IWD:EE or Torment:EE will delay BG3. People would rather see BG3 than other EE game. Many would rather have BG:EE than sleep, food, shelter, fame and fortune (including myself).

It's a very different poll if you assume no delay in BG3.
    @Silence I have no interest in rushing into BG3. I think it would be financially against their favour to immediately work on a game so big when they're barely recognised in the industry.

Make good IWD:EE, Torment:EE (I don't like Torment, but I think they should do it) and THEN do BG3.
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    I really liked IWD as a game. And ofcourse I would like to see an EE version with alot of improvements :)
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    IMO, IWD is fine as it is, a quick refresh and engine update is all it needs, as with BGI. The suggestions in the OP could all be done by mods. Keep IWD a hack'n'slash! That is what it does best!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    I played it once or twice all the way through the game. Either way there was not enough special about it to warrant me wanting to play it again. Even if enhanced.
  • beerflavourbeerflavour Member Posts: 117
    edited September 2012
    The question is if there will be similar legal restrictions for an IWD EE as there are for BG EE. If there are it would simply be better to add new campaigns for IWD. At least then they would have a free hand in what to do and how to do it.
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    I would buy an IWD:EE if they implemented something similar to IWD NPC Mod (except please make some potential evil party members) or IWD2 NPC Mod. I don't want generic NPC interactions, and I don't want to make an entire party. I like to make my character, and then have companions with personalities who sometimes like or dislike each other, and like or dislike me. A couple optional romances would be appreciated to.

That said I agree with you, more side quests, and more kits/races would be nice.
    @beerflavour Yes that is right, it's possible they can't even get permission to make it in the first place.
    I'm actually not sure at this point that the powers that be want us to discuss non-Baldur's Gate IE games in here. I guess it does say "Baldur's Gate" at the top of the forum.

I mention it because I just had a thread shut down by a moderator because I said something about IWD in it. Ironically, I was thanking them for letting us discuss IWD.

I guess I won't talk about it any more unless I see some kind of clear green light that it's okay to discuss IE games in general.