Skip to content

Seaside Vacation

FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
MC and valiant associates (Anomen, Keldorn, Neera, Yoshimo, and Jaheira) embarked on a cruise ship chartered by Aran of the Thieve's Guild, and sailed off to the seaside resort town of Burning Law. There they could not only rest up, but apparently good old Imoen was already there, taking in the rays. Accompanied by a gal named Sime, the crew made good time; the ship's captain, a certain Seaman Semen, hereafter referred to as SS, cleverly managed to evade any trouble from pirates en route. Unfortunately, he hadn't been totally aboveboard with us, and upon disembarking, several vampires attacked the group, apparently with his connivance. These proved easily dispatched, with only 1 restoration being needed post fight. SS himself was apparently a mage as well, and promptly dimension doored away from our just retribution.

We headed for the local bistro where we expected to find a local contact who would give us information. Two seconds after we met him, he was promptly assassinated! The killer was immediately dispatched, but that left us with few clues. Apparently, he had been seeing a local gal who was a worker in the local House of Ill Repute, and got on the bad side of the madam there. This place would merit a visit, but first we decided to explore the vicinity.

We found a gal who was being forced into a less than desirable profession by a cad named Chremy. Turns out there was an easy way to help her out; kill the swine! No sooner said than done. Walking through town later, we witnessed a pirate duel; apparently such things were common, and no one blinked. It seemed that there was little or no law in Burning Law. This gave the schizophrenic MC an idea; he could pander to both his good and evil side at once! Returning to the tavern, he proceeded to kill every pirate in sight; as anticipated, no one so much as blinked an eye. Hmm, better leave the barkeep alive, we may want drinks later.

This was pretty much the basic MO; anyone or anything that so much as looked like a pirate got the axe. The town was apparently run by a pirate Lord, the Dread Pirate Roberts, whose idea of law enforcement was pretty vague, and boiled down to "don't tick me off and you might just live".

We headed to the bordello; someone offered to give us a sleeping potion to knock out the guards.
Bah! Much too peaceful! Guards in the corridor? Kill 'em! The head bimbo and her pet wizard are keeping a gal prisoner in the cellar? Kill 'em! A cowled wizard has a day pass to the Asylum? Kill 'em!

Gee, things go so smoothly when you have a simple, consistent SOP. En route to the loony bin, we passed by Dread Pirate Robert's town house. The guard at the door offered to let us in for a visit for a small fee. We agreed and paid the guy off; the door was opened. Umm, wait a minute, the guard's a pirate? Kill 'em! Inside we found the pirate Lord himself; we turned down his offer of aid. A few minutes later, the Dread Pirate Roberts was now the Dead Pirate Roberts.

Having slaughtered half of the inhabitants of Burning Law, we pressed onward into the hills above town.

[I'm sorry! But as a fan of the Princess Bride I just HAD to use that terrible pun.]

Post edited by FrdNwsm on

Comments

• NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    Beware, the dread pirate Roberts takes no prisoners ! Ooops, too late. I hope you won't be this bloody with Saumon Avarié.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited May 2015
    Getting ahead of myself; but apparently someone used a rod of resurrection on him. He didn't stay dead. Unfair!

Saumon who?
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited May 2015
    I got confused by the title, seeing it in the BG2 subforum, as in my playthroughs I always refer to the visit to the coastal areas between Candlekeep and the Gnoll Fortress as 'going on a seaside vacation' especially when romancing Branwen and her talking about longing for the sea.

But Brynnlaw seems good enough a seaside vacation as well. A pity there's so much pirate blood on the beach chairs now. Luckily you let the barkeep alive. I'll have a tequila sunrise please!

*edited for less bossy language. No need to be rude to the barkeep after all.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    @Noon being French myself, the "Saumon avarié" pun was the first thing I thought about when I met Saemon.
    For our dear english-speaking pals:
    "Saumon" stands for Salmon (somewhat similar to Saemon in english as well)
    And "avarié" stands for rotten
    And here is the pun, Saemon being related to a sea and rotten to the core
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    I rather suspected it was something about salmon, although I thought "avarie" might be greedy (avaricious); wasn't certain since I don't speak Froggish. Seaman Semen has a nice rhyme to it, although a bit more vulgar. But hey! Seamen use salty language, yes?