Skip to content

I ain't got no Bodhi (and no Bodhi cares for me)

FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
After getting out of Drowville, MC and Co. had a nice chat with Elrond, the leader of the surface elves. He was suspicious at first, but warmed up when we told him we thought Irenicus was lower than green slime mucus. He then told us a rather confused tale about how Irenicus had made an end run around the elven army while they were distracted by the Drow, and had then ducked into the Elf Capital (a city with a real jawbreaker of a name that MC didn't even try to pronounce), taken control, and sealed them out with powerful illusions that totally concealed the way back inside.

Apparently, the only way to break through the concealing illusions was to use a powerful magical item, a lantern of some sort, that would reveal the way in. It would seem that the standard True Sight spells were not powerful enough. This magic flashlight had been taken all the way back to Athkatla, by Irenicus' undead sis, who was camped out back in her old haunts in the graveyard. Elrond then explained how, for various (fairly bogus sounding) reasons, he couldn't go get the item himself, and gee, could we please get it from Bodhi and bring it back?

Right; MC had heard it all before. Let the dumb half-orc do all the work. Fine; he had other business to take care of back in town anyway. Among other things, he wanted to tell Guildmaster Aral about what a lousy guide he had picked for the trip to Burning Law. One ticket to Athkatla please. Hmm, on second thought, considering how the last sea voyage turned out, maybe they had better walk.

On the way back, Keldorn, our resident expert on military strategy, professed himself mystified by Irenicus' actions. Irenicus had proven himself an able opponent till now, but this decision made no sense. Dividing one's forces in the face of the enemy was never wise, unless for specific tactical reasons; a flanking maneuver, opening a second front, etc. Here not only was there no good reason to do so, but it left a potentially fatal flaw in his plan.

1) Entry to the city of Sulda-whatsit is sealed off.
2) The only way in is via using the magic light bulb.
3) Ergo, logically, if he had taken it into the city with him, his position would be unassailable!

Instead he gives it to his sister, who seems to be far weaker in power, and she heads back to Athkatla, where she takes up residence in an old former hang out of hers, which is far more poorly defended and has already been trashed once by attackers! The mind boggles. But what the heck; maybe he's starting to get senile. He's apparently lived for quite a while. Or maybe his egomania is getting out of control and he thinks he is infallible. Whatever. The course of action was clear.

Back to Athkatla the stalwart heroes headed.

Post edited by FrdNwsm on

Comments

• FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited May 2015
    During the trek back to Athkatla, the party ran into an old acquaintance, the Drow ranger Drizzt. Gosh, we hadn't seen him since helping him trash some gnolls outside of Baldur's gate! After reminiscing about old times, we mentioned that we were going vampire hunting, whereupon he offered to join us. Hey, we won't turn down any offers of help! He would meet us at the Tomb complex. Onward back to town; the Copper Coronet first, then the Thieve's Guild.

A minor obstacle appeared as soon as the group neared the CC doorway. Yet another Git approached, demanding that the Sacred Butter Knife of the Gods be returned. This was going just a wee bit too far; how did this moron even know we were back in town, anyway? And we had already returned the damned thing once, only to be attacked regardless! Did this guy think we were totally stupid? We told him where he could put his butter knife, at which point a whole passel of his cronies jumped out of holes they had been hiding in and assaulted us. It took a bit of hasty buffing up, but the party soon turned the tide. Amongst the loot was the hilt of their holy sword. That made several projects that we had for good old Cromwell. Next stop would be the docks area, where we could kill two birds with one stone.

First stop was Cromwell's forge, where the party spent pretty much every copper they had. Weapon after weapon rolled off the assembly line. Equalizer. Wave. Silver Sword. Hmm, hang on. We had found the string to the Gesen bow but ... where had the shaft gone? It had vanished! Yes, we had really gotten shafted here. After winning it way back in the Bridge District, we had misplaced it somewhere. No telling where it was now. Umar? Trademeet? The sewers? Sahuagin City? Watcher's Keep? Lost forever in the deeps of Time.

Well, that was annoying but not fatal; we had a number of powerful missile launchers already. We also opted, for various reasons, not to construct Crom Feyr.

On to the Thieve's Guild. MC had fully expected to be told that the Guildmaster was unavailable, but to his surprise, they were granted an interview. Aral apologized for what a lousy guide SS had turned out to be, and offered to lend us the services of his best assassins for the attack on Bodhi. OK, that will make up for it; apology accepted.

Time to plan the graveyard shift attack.

edited May 2015
    Now, in addition to giving us stakes and holy water, Elrond had indeed advised us to seek allies for the attack on Bodhi; we had already gotten help from two totally unexpected sources. Could there be more people waiting in the wings that we could recruit? We went to all the major Temples in town. Helm, Lathander, Waukeen ... no help appeared anywhere among the godly. A visit to Ilmatar's temple did provide an unexpected benefit however. A remark dropped by the priest there led MC to realize that he was still carrying Yoshimo's heart around. (It was sitting in the bottom of a bag of holding, and we had totally forgotten about it). Turning it over to the priest for proper burial made the party feel better about themselves. A LOT better.

A last visit did prove effective; the Order of the Radiant Heart offered to provide Keldorn with several companion paladins. Cool beans! We would meet all of our allies at the tomb complex. When we got there, the various groups were already engaging some lesser vampires in combat. Our arrival rapidly turned the tide. Most of the allied forces turned back after the upper level was cleared out, but the leaders remained.

The final assault on Bodhi's lair was a bit of an anticlimax. We had the allied leaders, some summoned undead of our own, and a ton of firepower. MC finally had a reason to call up a Sunray from Daystar and then berserked, Anomen was packing two more Sunray spells along with a false dawn, while Keldorn waded with a protection from undead and improved haste in effect. A couple of level drains occurred, but nothing crippling (Jaheira lost 4 if I recall). Bodhi ended up staked, although not before the obligatory
    "villain's last defiance" speech, in which she revealed that she and Irenicus were both related to the elves. Odd, they didn't look elvish.

End result? Imoen got back the missing piece of her soul, and we got the mystical lamp that would enable Elrond to get back into Rivendell.

• SampieroSampiero Member Posts: 31
    Dude.... that title xD
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    You got the killing blow for Bodhi? She is worth 91k xp, the highest in the game, and sometimes Drizzt kill-steals. (Regular Bodhi is weak, but Improved Bodhi from scs shreds him, most of the time, though.)
    edited June 2015
    Actually I didn't keep track of who killed her. And how does SCS help her out? I mean, I would just use the improved AI if I used SCS, not give the critters any odd powers. Obviously you can amp up any critter any number of ways with the appropriate mod. But we had a lot of firepower; I am not sure that just modifying her response algorithm would have helped that much. Given the fact that she is Irenicus' sister, we went in loaded for bear, and threw everything at her, including the kitchen sink.

For that matter, I wasn't aware that the experience given was modified if a non-party member did the killing, provided we got in a hit. It doesn't work that way?

Also, I assume you mean she is the highest Kill experience, since Yoshimo's heart gives you 200,000.

When I created MC way back in BG1, it just seemed like "OK for one combat I can get a bit tough". Nice but hardly OP. I'm up to 6x a day now and with HLAs like greater whirlwind and all the immunities berserker rage gives, it's pretty whacky at times. I'm wondering how to get through some of the harder scenarios with my non-berserker. I suspect that after the Asylum I'll be using the Slayer form a lot with that party. So far, MC has used it exactly once, during the fight with Kangaxx. It's not something you want to do too often. :open_mouth:

According to the character information sheet, MC's THACO using Wave is -13. Is that actually possible?

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @FrdNwsm Can you rephrase the question? A THAC0 of -13 is possible, but I don't know if it's possible for your CHARNAME wielding The Wave.
    edited June 2015
    I was just curious if I were reading it right. It seemed excessive. If these screens are accurate, with buffs I can get it up to -15 image
    edited June 2015
    This poses another question. Is there any point to going up to an AS of -15? I mean, does anything have an AC of -20 or so to make it worthwhile? And is there any way to know what defenses an opponent has?