Skip to content

Would you want to see PvP in the BG:EE series?

immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Personally I do not understand the desire of this...it seems completely...not in sync with what the game is and is about.
  1. Would you want to see PvP in the BG:EE series?178 votes
    1. Yes
      20.22%
    2. No
      54.49%
    3. Wouldn't minde but don't really care.
      25.28%

Comments

• Rush_that_speaksRush_that_speaks Member Posts: 36
    @Schneidend That’s right it’s already there but If pvp means creating some crazy arenas like Black Pits then I’m definitely against it – devs should focus on quests, story, interactions, locations, romances and other stuff that constitutes true bg.

And yes @GueulEclator there are exactly 50 of us ;/
  • GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    It just MEAN ALLOWING 6VS6 MATCHES AND NOT HAVING TO CLICK ON THE ATTACK FUNCTION JUST TO HIT AN ENEMY.

Stop being against it, it's fucking moronic. It shouldn't be something hard to implement and would be of great help for those who like PvP.

I mean, accept some changes, stop being so conservative about this game. If it was up to this core of nay sayer, there wouldn't even be a BG EE.

PVP is exactly the kind of thing that Black isle would have added in BG 3, and also one of the ost popular multiplayer mode amongst gamers.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2012
    There is already another pool for PvP possibility:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/3137/should-there-be-an-introduction-to-pvp-in-the-baldurs-gate-series/p1

But since you added the "don't care option", lemme put my vote here :)!
  • Rush_that_speaksRush_that_speaks Member Posts: 36
    @GueulEclator Yes Sir, I’m stopping right now! Now I support you and I will tell my 49 friends to join you as well! ;/

Hmm so this is this new “there is only a like button culture”…
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200

people always end up killing each other to see who is the strongest.

I have to disagree here. To me, PVPing just to see who is the strongest or has the strongest char/party won't justify its existence in an infinity engine game. PVP has to offer something really competitive, and give incentive to the player to outperform the opponent. Just building a stronger char/party isn't enough, you have to actually 'play' to win. With this I mean using various equipment, spells, and party tactics to compete against others, and has to be done so in a fair way in a fair system.
    "Stop being against it, it's fucking moronic...."

@GueulEclator i can't be against it?

"Ok my lord, i bow to your will..." Do you truly think you have the right to rule ppl desires? you're very arrogan Anomen, ops i mean @GueulEclator :)!
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    edited September 2012

I mean, accept some changes, stop being so conservative about this game. If it was up to this core of nay sayer, there wouldn't even be a BG EE.

Ummm, what? This "core of nay sayers" clearly consists of people who are interested in BGEE, hence their presence here on this particular forum. I think you're confusing a group of people who would prefer to see the devs make more quests, dialog, etc, rather than PvP, with a group of people who don't want the original game to change at all.

As you can see by my vote, I don't feel strongly either way, but I do find the rationale for people to vote "No" easily understandable.
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216

With that out of the way, stop being butthurt just because your Bards thread didn't turn into a circle jerk of people agreeing with you.

Laugh of the day for me.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    edited September 2012
    The interesting thing is, i have yet to see the naysayers come with a valid reason why it shouldnt belong in the game. Although it is ofc not required. Also

• KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    BG is intended as a single-player experience, despite the multi-player option (which allows up to 5 more people to join the host's game). Pray enlighten me, what's the point and purpose of PvP in a single-player game?
    Hey, lets fight for the right of a PvP Chrono Thrigger and Final Fantasy VII!!!!! Maybe a dragon quest VIII PvP should exist too!!!

But jokes apart, maybe the Black Pit feature already add this PvP possibility, i don't care too much anyway, but who knows.
  • harvman11harvman11 Member Posts: 33
    I'm torn here, because while I'd like to see a PvP mechanic (even if it's just a relatively simple arena like the Black Pits seems to be), it puts me on the same side as @GueulEclator, who puts thread titles in all caps and calls even who disagrees with him "fucking moronic".

...Back to the topic though, for those who say we have PvP right now, the problem with current "PvP" is two-fold: it's only 3v3, and certain mechanics don't work properly. The one most glaring example is thief skills, hide in shadows, traps, and backstabbing don't work particularly well when both players can see exactly what the thief is doing at all times. I also seem to remember (from my brother and I trying it out long ago) that there's problems with targeting of certain spells, which would likely be fixed by implementing proper PvP.

The thing I've always wanted is for both players to be controlling a party in the same world, with each party competing on quests, running into each other (can be friendly or not), etc. I know this isn't going to come from the devs, but if there's a 6v6 PvP system, then there's the chance that it can be done with mods. Perhaps I'm just dreaming, but that's my true hope for MP in this game.

Essentially what I'm saying is that I don't want PvP to be a major focus for the dev team, but I want it to be there as a tool for modders who might be able to make something awesome out of it.
  • jpierce55jpierce55 Member Posts: 86
    They could do pvp, but I would not play in pvp.
    If they make PvP don't expect me to play nice, i will ctrl+Y everyone mwahauhuahuah!!! XD!
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    edited September 2012
    As long as I can play LAN...

There already is PvP. Just attack each other and see who wins.

But... but... I cast Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting to him and he didn't care!
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    There doesn't have to be a specific PVP for players to duel and see who is the best, hehe. Any multiplayer game that can be done. And it isnt who has the toughest character... it's who has the best script and the most opcode resistent PC. Back in the old days (gah, I am old) of BG and BG2... there were plenty of groups that pitted their scripts against eachother in Dueling. I remember the Vamps and Venom... awesome script writers, still have some of them laying around on an external somewhere. Will dig them out if someone wants to try me:D
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    Cuv said:

There doesn't have to be a specific PVP for players to duel and see who is the best, hehe. Any multiplayer game that can be done. And it isnt who has the toughest character... it's who has the best script and the most opcode resistent PC. Back in the old days (gah, I am old) of BG and BG2... there were plenty of groups that pitted their scripts against eachother in Dueling. I remember the Vamps and Venom... awesome script writers, still have some of them laying around on an external somewhere. Will dig them out if someone wants to try me:D

Never knew SvS (script vs script) was a thing, but count me in for this in BG:EE, sounds very geeky and interesting.
    Shadowkeeper can be used to change the character @g314, so you could put 3 characters in the monster group type (only the hide not too well in shadows would persist).
  • Arabus13Arabus13 Member Posts: 102
    I don't really care one way of the other. What I do mind is when PvP players start complaining about how they got killed becuase they failed their saving throw and got held/paralyzed/put to sleep/imprisioned/etc. I've seen far to many games (MMO's mostly) that start mucking around with character abilities in order to "balance" PvP. For me (and me only) D&D has always been a social event where friends (or family) formed a party to overcome impossible odds.
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    kamuizin said:

Shadowkeeper can be used to change the character @g314, so you could put 3 characters in the monster group type (only the hide not too well in shadows would persist).

Nay, 'tis too contrived for me. I'd rather avoid ShadowKeeper when playing with my friends. SK is good for single-player.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Roller12 said:

The interesting thing is, i have yet to see the naysayers come with a valid reason why it shouldnt belong in the game. Although it is ofc not required. Also

You aren't looking very hard. My "VALID" reason for not wanting it is clearly stated. it is "VALID" because I like all adult human beings have the right to my opinion.
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    Baldur's Gate wasn't designed for PVP. However, the Black Pits could create a sort of 'setting' for some PVP action. A special mode could be set up where you import your game in and fight the opponent or work in some kind of competetion using your character (meaning that you only play one character unless you find someone to co-op with). There could be a survival contests (endless wave of increasingly difficult monsters) or a race (complete a randomized dungeon before the opposing party) or just an outright brawl (Insect Plague!).

Starting this mode would likely be a separate game, like how Throne of Bhaal was separate from Shadows of Amn. You wouldn't transfer in anything other than your character (any equipment he gets comes from the PVP). Every item in BG:EE is obtainable in here by winning gold and purchasing it. Experience and statistics (ability scores, thieving skills, ect) remain. Experience can be earned here but it will be based on party size (if anyone joins or if you let them join you) and what you defeat (wasn't that a beholder in a black pits screen shot?). The experience cap will remain in place though.

This PVP arena could act as a place for players to take their characters in between BGEE1 and BGEE2, giving them something to do as well. You don't have to bring in a character of course, you could make a fresh new one. Since any equipment from BG:EE is available here, that character can potentially get just as outfitted and decked out as someone who waited till he beat Saerevok to import his character. As mentioned before the only thing that you can bring in is experience and statistics. However a special shop-keeper could be set up who only sells your equipment that you had when you transferred (and he sells it at a discount price too!). Special Equipment (like what Drizzt drops) would require completing special challenges.

I... I think I just described an MMO. Maybe... maybe BG3?
  • GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    Roller12 said:

Indeed, a lot of them seem to have an irrational hatred for PVP. Fortunately, the vast majority of the people that lurks on these forums are the too often hardcore fans of the series, fervent too death and extremly conservative when it comes to their favorite games. They do not represent the majority of player who will buy this game. Why?

Because developer have stated that they target a 500K sold copies : this game is targeted towards a large audience. PVP has become the most popular multiplayer mode today. The average gamers often consider it a must. This game is targeted much more at the wide gamer audience (but not the casual one) who likes PVP and probably wants to see a PVP dimension in most game they play.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    You use the word "irrational" Not sure you know what means or how to apply it. Having a particular gaming preference is not irrational, it is a personal taste. I don't like Broccoli, do I have an irrational distaste for broccoli? or perhaps I just don't like the taste? As for being a lemming and following the crowd just because something is popular....that can be considered irrational.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    YES I WOULD LOVE THIS!!!

The only mmo i really enjoyed was Ultima Online where it was always pvp. Not that people ran around killing each other, but you had the option. And people who went around killing others got bounties put on their heads.

I remember being out hunting once for some deer (i was a tailor skill warrior with slight mage), and a char that was built around pk came up and tried to attack me. He got off 3 hits in a row and i was down to about 10% hp, and didn't stand a chance, and i was carrying too much gear to outrun him. Was far from town and would never get off the recall spell in time. I hid in shadows. I had a decent hide score and could move in shadows but not well, so i carefully moved away slowly while he hunted for me. I popped down the camp fire as far away from me as i could (required to log out, otherwise my char would be defenseless). He got mad when he saw the camp fire, and started raging trying to find me. It takes 30 second to camp (logout and save). Was the most tense 30 seconds of my life, and right at the end, he found me, revealed me. His sword swung back and i was d/c'd.

I didn't log in for 2 hours. When i did, wasn't sure if i was dead, but my char had made it out safe. PvP is awesome when implmented properly. :)