Skip to content

Need some help on spell tactics

Which are the best spells to use for mage,cleric and druid?
Which spells do you pick at each level?
Are there some potent combos for 2 or more spells?
Which buffs are the best?

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I don't know much because I'm a scrublord that plays on easy mode. One thing I can say is it appears summons are some of the best spells since they divert damage from your party and can sometimes deal damage themselves.
  • SlotySloty Member Posts: 113
    No experienced one to give me some hints on spell usage?
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    I wouldn't say I'm experienced. But I've played through a decent number of times. AOE spells are very useful in every difficulty level excepting perhaps Heart of Fury. If you have a party that has all three different spell casters, you can combine spells for really fun effects. For example, a low level party playing through Dragon's Eye can obliterate the trolls and lizard men with 2nd and 3rd level spells, which should be easily accessible at this point. Just chain Stinking Cloud, Web, Spike Growth, and Holy Smite in areas with large groups of enemies, then mop up the stragglers with your fighters, for trolls you can finish them off with Burning Hands if necessary. Party buffs are also key in defeating enemies. Prayer and Chant are stack-able buffs, and Recitation and Righteous Wrath of the Faithful can be added on to those at higher levels. Protection from Evil 10' Radius is also standard for battle. I never really bothered with summons in Icewind Dale, besides the occasional Insect Plague, because if you have a full party, you can buff them up to the point where they take little to no damage in even the toughest fights, and you don't need anything to divert damage. High levels make things really interesting, a Mage with Stoneskin, Mirror Image, and Blur is very difficult for enemies to hit, and with Mantle, Improved Mantle, and Seven Eyes at higher levels, good luck finding something that can hit you, and if you've gone with a Fighter-Mage, you can add Tenser's Transformation and Improved Haste to become a killing machine. There is so much depth in the spell selection, it really makes it a blast to decide how you are going to decimate the next group of enemies. Hopefully that's a little helpful @Sloty please let me know what types of scenarios you are facing, and I'd be happy to provide feedback with my favorite combos.
    Thanks!
    So the most important scenarios for me are when I face a big number of enemies at one time.
    I also want to know what are the best buff combos for my characters.
    I have(a little cheatet but fun):

A berserker/druid multiclass

A Kensai/mage/cleric multiclass

A Fighter/mage/assassin multiclass

Are there some good spell combos to use with my little party?
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    edited June 2015
    Summons > Web/Cloud > AoE

Also Mantle and Improved Mantle are overkill.

If you don't need summons (which means either non-HoF difficulty or late game HoF) you certainly won't need immunity to weapons, especially given how short those spells last. Same goes for 7 Eyes. Stone Skin is enough for a battle if you can output enough damage.

And if it's not HoF, damage spells are far better than a short buff spells. If we're talking stuff like Improved Mantle, I really don't see why you don't just blast everything with Meteor Storm, Incendiary Cloud, or Wilting. Monsters with normal HP will just melt when they step into the AoE of those spells or get hit by Wilting.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Meh. Two upfront tank fighters and everyone else ranged. No need for spells ;)
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    Sloty said:

Which are the best spells to use for mage,cleric and druid?
    Which spells do you pick at each level?

That question doesn't make any sense. None of "mage, cleric and druid" pick spells at each level. Priests (cleric, druid) know all spells per spell level once they have advanced to the required level of their class. They can choose to memorize whatever spells they need for the next encounter or situation.

Mages (including bards in IWDEE) need to find scrolls first before they can learn a new spell. How many spells per level they can learn depends on their Intelligence attribute. Once they know a spell, they can memorize it before resting just like priests.

It's only Sorcerers that are different. They may pick arbitrary spells to learn when levelling up and getting access to a new spell level.

Since no Sorcerers are in your party, your mages can only learn spells from scrolls you find or get in shops.
    Sloty said:

Are there some potent combos for 2 or more spells?
    Which buffs are the best?

I still think you won't succeed with what you're doing so far. It would be much more entertaining and satisfying for you, if you actually played the game to gain experience. That would also enable you to refer to specific problems you're facing.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I really like combing Mage and cleric spells in sequencers.
    Debuff minor sequencer: curse+chant
    Debuff sequencer: prayer+recitation+greater malison

Or Polymorph self: sword spider and the minor sequencer DUHM to become a spider killing machine.

Fire resistance on everyone and then throw fireballs everywhere is always good.

Hitting big groups of enemies with some combination of web, grease, stinking cloud, spike growth, cloudkill, acid fog, incendiary cloud etc is always fun.

Generally though if you buff up to the max your guys should be able to steamroll most opponents if you make sure you have good AC and as many other defenses that you can manage combined with strong offense.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Oh and eventually mislead on your assassin will be an amazing spell when you can cast it.
    Which are the best spells for a druid or in my case Fighter/Druid?
  • AerichAerich Member Posts: 159
    Spike Stones/Growth, and summons have the most general application. I find most of the direct damage spells are situational with the F/D (e.g. you have to be off to the side to safely cast Smashing Wave; Alicorn Lance is not clearly better than 2x sling stones for damage (and thus not as good for F/D vs Druid; Wall of Moonlight only against undead; Insect Plague only against casters)
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    Let's not forget ... the question is not important at all, because druids learn all druidic spells that are available as the hero advances in levels. All you need to do is memorize in your spell book those spells you want to use. You can memorize different spells whenever you want to, if you find a safe place to rest. There's enough time to test different spells.

And as it's a Berserker/Druid mod'ed multi-class ... perhaps you want to look into spells that aid the Berserker part of your hero. Or else it will remain a poor fighter, possibly being stuck with a sling. Much depends on how you play a Berserker/Druid.

If you level up the druid and there is the notification that you can access another level of spells, simply look them up in your spell book. The descriptions are not bad. And since you must select and memorize spells anyway, why not read the descriptions?