Skip to content

No sound and extremely slow cinematics

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this, since I've already fixed the problem, but I couldn't find anywhere that seemed more suited to it.

I was having two problems with BG:EE, specifically that the cinematics (except the one with the Beamdog logo at the very beginning) ran extremely slowly (to the tune of a couple frames per minute), and there was no sound at all (in the game, in the menus, anywhere). The game had run fine on my old computer (both this one and that one ran Windows 7 Home Premium), so I was stumped.

I tried all the solutions I could find on various forums (reinstall, get OpenAL, try different versions of OpenAL, compatibility modes, etc), until I decided to install my non-enhanced copy of Baldur's Gate onto this computer and see if the problem existed there as well. It didn't, and when I went back to EE the problem had been solved.

tl;dr something (I don't know what) that gets installed along with the original Baldur's Gate doesn't seem to be coming with EE and it's absence was messing with my cinematics and sound.