Skip to content

Evaluate my 1st party

Well yes, another thread about party composition. For my 1st run I decided to play a full party, mainly because there are too many nice classes and don't want to leave any on the bench. After reading some threads I decided to run a low arcane magic party, with only a bard casting arcane spells. Swashy will dual to fighter when maxed traps/locks and specialize on long bows (or short ones are better in IWD?)
Do you think it's a well balanced group or is too much focused on melee? Would you change something?

Comments

• HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Looks good to me. Melee is strong in Icewind Dale. Since you seem to be optimizing ability scores, I'd have gone for 18 con on the barbarian maybe. I'd generally agree I found better long bows than short bows too.
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    Drogon : I don't see any need to skill Warhammer ++ early. Sword and Shield is more useful. And if you may have planned going Two Weapons ++, there are axes for the offhand ... and flails for the offhand would be the better choice, too.

Ygritte : WIS 18 instead of CON 18 is pointless. Barbarian's don't need any WIS.

Missandei : Here, too, I think that Clubs are okay, but they are rare, and you depend a lot on whether one is found within the random loot. Conlan only sells a +2 one (+4 vs. spiders). For a Fighter/Druid I still favor spears ... safe to get ... two-handed and longer range and attack from second line because of poor AC for a very long time. Darts are a matter of taste ... Slings there are multiple good ones.

Hodor : Weapon skills choice is okay for a pure priest.

Obara : CON 18 on a Rogue? Two wasted points. With CHA 18 it would be a second leader. Longbows are clearly the better choice in IWDEE.

Theon : Forget dagger early on. Crossbow for bards is okay. There are good ones to get ... and there are enough longbows to find, too. If you let the bard learn the Knock spell, you can dual your Swashbuckler earlier ... it will become a better fighter.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Drogon: Looks great to me. I agree with Merina in dropping the warhammer ++ and getting either shield or two weapon fighting. I'd go shield, personally. Because there are some really juicy physical resistance shields which will put the dwarven defender into a 'must have' category. I'd also go for axes over hammers. You are guaranteed to find a axe of defense +2 in dragon's eye, and there are two really good axes in Dorn's Deep. There are no guaranteed excellent hammers.

Ygritte: Drop 2 points of wisdom and push Con up to 18. And it may just be personal taste, but I'd rather have my barbarian have two weapon fighting. She can only get ++ in any kind of weapon, so there will be plenty of proficiency points to go around. This will let her pick up different types of weapons which might otherwise go unused. Longswords are always a good choice.

Missandei: I agree with Merina. Though sword + board isn't bad for fighter druids, as they can switch to slings/darts quite easily.

Hodor: Looks good

Obara: Keep her stats as they are, and dual her to fighter once she gets 100 pick lock/detect trap. The other thief skills aren't really needed, as she can't backstab, and while traps are fun, they aren't required. Getting swashbuckler bonuses with fighter levels? That is fun.

Thoen: I like it. He gets to use the free dagger you find in easthaven. And let's be honest here, he should be singing all the time. I'd drop crossbow and give him single weapon fighting for the +1 AC. Then just let him do his bard song. Eventually give him the bard sword, or a weapon of defense, to help keep him alive. Then sing, sing, sing.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    If it's your first play through is recommend to include a Paladin, Druid and Bard. You're almost there as it is but there's some nice Paladin only dialogue and xp available.

Your stats look heavily optimised but then with some mistakes. Warriors (fighters, paladins, rangers and barbarians) should have 18/91+ str, 18 dex, 18 con (including multiclasses). If you have the points available then always put intelligence to 9 on every character to be able to use scrolls.

Weapon proficiencies wise I can advise that there is almost no worthwhile two handed weapons in the game compared to dual wielding options. Always try to have a ranged weapon available. Never put points in sword and shield style. Roughly speaking the best weapon types are flail, long sword, flail (again), axe, mace. Scimitars get a mention but only on a Druid (you have an opportunity to craft one somewhere cold, don't miss out). Longbows are the best ranged weapon available but to get the best one you have to kill an innocent.
  • FregasegaFregasega Member Posts: 45
    Hudzy said:

Looks good to me. Melee is strong in Icewind Dale. Since you seem to be optimizing ability scores, I'd have gone for 18 con on the barbarian maybe. I'd generally agree I found better long bows than short bows too.

Barbarian 16 CON is my fault, dunno why I thought only fighter gain HP bonus over 16...

Merina said:

Ygritte : WIS 18 instead of CON 18 is pointless. Barbarian's don't need any WIS.

Like said previously my mistake.
    Merina said:

Obara : CON 18 on a Rogue? Two wasted points. With CHA 18 it would be a second leader. Longbows are clearly the better choice in IWDEE

If I dual at 6 lvl into fighter, doesn't she gain + 4 hp/lvl from fighter 7?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Fregasega She will indeed.
    Wowo said:

If it's your first play through is recommend to include a Paladin, Druid and Bard. You're almost there as it is but there's some nice Paladin only dialogue and xp available.

If I put a Paladin for Barbarian, I think the party got too much divine spell casting...or am I wrong?

• MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    Oopps ... I read about the dual Swashy and had forgotten it already when commenting on the CON value when watching the attachments. :blush:

Both Paladin and Barbarian will be hit a lot. Paladin may wear heavy armor, but that doesn't help much if not using a good shield. Whenever I played a paladin in IWDEE it was with two-handed weapons (sometimes crossbow later) and attacking from behind the blocker.

Else, if you like what the Barbarian class offers ... he happy.
  • GenryuGenryu Member Posts: 372
    edited June 2015
    I second that taking a paladin will add a unique flavour to your playthrough. You get ton's of unique dialogue options, and they are also the only characters who can wield a particularily awesome longsword later on! :wink:

Just be warned that there is a trade off, using a Paladin the can also restrict your dialogue options, by forcing you to take the noble path. Their Detect Evil also plays a part in dialogue, sometimes forcing you into confrontations earlier than you would like, or even making you skip potential side-quests.

On the topic of weapons, I also agree with giving someone a flail or two, especially early on. Without giving any storyline spoilers, there are lots of enemies (Especially in chapter one) that are resistant to slashing and piercing weapons, taking reduced damage. However these enemies are often more vulnerable to crushing, taking bonus damage when using these weapons.
    Fregasega said:

Wowo said:

If I put a Paladin for Barbarian, I think the party got too much divine spell casting...or am I wrong?

Paladins gain spells slowly and in limited number. Also they tend to benefit more from memorizing the self buff spells that will help them on the front lines, armor of faith, call on holy might, righteous magic etc will turn your Paladin into a little juggernaut of destruction.

If you prefer Barbarian then by all means go for one, I love them too, and from an role play point of view they fit nicely into an IWD party.
    Fregasega said:

Wowo said:

Can never have too many divine spells as they are so strong in IWDee.

Paladins make good early tanks with access to heavy armour and good tanks later as well with Armour of Faith and damage resistance items. In contrast a barbarian only becomes a decent tank late game.

Damage wise it's pretty even, DUHM and Rage are pretty comparable.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Wowo said:

If you have the points available then always put intelligence to 9 on every character to be able to use scrolls.

I was going to make this very same suggestion, especially with regard to spellcasters.
  • LohengrammLohengramm Member Posts: 16
    It kind of sounds like from what people are saying in this thread that going 2H Warhammers is a bad idea? I was going to do that with my Dwarven Defender, assuming I would benefit from having a source of Crushing damage, and that their inherent traits would provide enough defense to play the game on Normal mode. Should I re-evaluate?

It kind of sounds like from what people are saying in this thread that going 2H Warhammers is a bad idea? I was going to do that with my Dwarven Defender, assuming I would benefit from having a source of Crushing damage, and that their inherent traits would provide enough defense to play the game on Normal mode. Should I re-evaluate?

Warhammers are good and a Dwarven defender can get them and axes to 4 pips which are two strong weapon classes.

Then dual wield whichever good ones that you find as your weapon proficiency.

Starting with warhammers is a great idea to crush all of the skeletons.
    Wowo said:

Warhammers are good and a Dwarven defender can get them and axes to 4 pips which are two strong weapon classes.

So dual wielding is always better than 2 handing a big weapon? It sounded like 2 handed weapons in this got better enchantments to make up for the lack of an offhand / shield. I was really asking if 2 handed weapons are viable in this.

Wowo said:

So dual wielding is always better than 2 handing a big weapon? It sounded like 2 handed weapons in this got better enchantments to make up for the lack of an offhand / shield. I was really asking if 2 handed weapons are viable in this.
    They really aren't better. Dual wielding is almost always the strongest choice by quite a large margin.

That said, early game going with sword and board is often worth considering for a tank.
    So when you first make your Dwarven Defender is it better to do 2 pips in Axes and Warhammers, or pick Warhammers and 2 pips in Dual Wield? I kind of figured 2 in each weapon would be fine since it would take you a while to find 2 really good weapons. I have to say I'm surprised they didn't improve the balance such that 2-handed weapons would be more competitive.
    I would put 2 in each weapon at 1st level.
    How many pips total do you get by level 9~ ? Would it be possible to max out Warhammers, Axes, Dual Wield, and 2 Handed? (since DD only goes to 4 pips in the weapons)
    There would be no point in maxing both dual wield and 2 handed IMO. Choose one and go with it. Dual wield is mechanically more powerful, but if you want to go with 2H that's perfectly fine as well.

As for the number of pips, you may refer to http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php/Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts
    By level 9, you will gain 3 additional pips in addition to the 4 at 1st level.
    Hey thanks.
    By level 9 I would recommend:
    Warhammer***
    Dual wield**
    Axe**
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited June 2015
    I would go:

Paladin kit (any is fine except Blackguard)
    Thief kit (Swashbuckler most likely)
    Fighter/Cleric or Cleric kit
    Druid kit or even pure. It actually works in IWD
    Dragon Disciple Sorc (for the style, some needed fire immunity, fire breath and no scroll dependency)
    Bard kit (Blade perhaps, for the scrolls, some RP options)

The rest are details and you can adjust. And the stats as said above.
    edited June 2015
    Archaos said:

I would go:

Dragon Disciple Sorc (for the style, some needed fire immunity, fire breath and no scroll dependency)

I was thinking:
    Fighter (Dwarven Defender, tanky tank tank)
    Paladin (some kit, tank and buffs)
    Cleric (some kit, heals etc...)
    Ranger (Archer, tons of ranged damage)
    Assassin or Swashbuckler (trap spotter and damage)
    Sorcerer (Dragon Disciple, damage and debuffs)

You'd go Druid and Bard over Fighter and Archer? I was under the impression this was a much more slug-fest oriented game and straightforward ranged damage dealers and tanks would be useful.

Archaos said:

I would go:

I was thinking:
    Fighter (Dwarven Defender, tanky tank tank)
    Paladin (some kit, tank and buffs)
    Cleric (some kit, heals etc...)
    Ranger (Archer, tons of ranged damage)
    Assassin or Swashbuckler (trap spotter and damage)
    Sorcerer (Dragon Disciple, damage and debuffs)

You'd go Druid and Bard over Fighter and Archer? I was under the impression this was a much more slug-fest oriented game and straightforward ranged damage dealers and tanks would be useful.
    Druids and bards both have unique dialogue and quest experience available that is well worthwhile.

Additionally, vanilla bards and all Druids are significantly buffed making them much stronger than in BG.

Honestly I'd avoid a sorcerer as they completely circumvent an entire experience of scroll scarcity that the game developers tried to offer.

Perhaps something like:
    Druid (kit, dual or multi)
    Bard (vanilla)
    Paladin (undead hunter or cavalier)
    Cleric (Tempus kit for the dialogue)
    Assassin (dual to Mage if you like)
    Barbarian (or Dwarven defender)
    My problem with Bards is that they can't do anything while singing. This strikes me as a really boring party member to lug around, like an invisible constant party buff rather than a whole member if scripts are set up properly.

My problem with Bards is that they can't do anything while singing. This strikes me as a really boring party member to lug around, like an invisible constant party buff rather than a whole member if scripts are set up properly.

In IWD singing breaks invisibility and the range of the song is more limited. Luckily the AI is so basic that they usually go for who they see first.

Vanilla bards get a number of new songs that have a variety of uses and all bards get spells up to 8th level.

My bard tends to mostly stand around and sing sure but is ready to throw a disabler or damage spell if needed and has a few important buffs to share around augmented by that high relative caster level.

Yes the bard is the least active party member but with 5 others to keep track of I don't mind honestly.
    Well I didn't mean literally invisible so much as "why are you here? you are just a party buff given humanoid form".

Well I didn't mean literally invisible so much as "why are you here? you are just a party buff given humanoid form".

lol well I'm pretty sure that in BG the song doesn't break invis so excuse my misinterpretation.

Anyway, the point stands that with the spells available like Web, Chromatic Orb and Skull Trap that the bard is adequately active even if the least active, at least for me.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    I think it's good, except I would have used a mage or mage-multiclass instead of the bard. Or maybe dual your thief to mage instead of fighter later on (but INT is too low).

I think it's good to vary weapons proficiencies at first (like axe + warhammer). Unless you know the game well you never know which weapon will be the most usefull. I just bought IWDEE yesterday, and I don't remember all the weapons from the original game. But I do remember that blunt weapons are very usefull in some early dungeons.