Skip to content

GoT: Valyrian steel, just how heavy enchanted is it, in BG terms?

SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
edited June 2015 in Off-Topic

How heavily enchanted do you think they are?
Are we talking +1,+2,+3 or even higher here?

What we know:

Valyrian steel is spell forge, so it has to have some magical proprieties. Even if those proprieties are only that they are really really sharp and that they never lose their edge.

they were manufactured with Dragon Fire, don't know if this actually adds anything to them or it was just for show.

Valyrian steel blades are lighter, stronger, and sharper than even the best castle-forged steel.

Jon kills one of the others with his Valyrian steel bastard sword Longclaw in the show.

There are 10 Valyrian steel blades who's whereabouts and owners are known in Westeros and a further 7 who's fates are unknown and the blades considered lost.

What we don't know:

If with the return of Dragons and thus magic to the world, whether or not Valyrian Steel will grow in strength as all living magical beings have.

If different blades had different proprieties from each other.

If reforging Valyrian steel loses any of the original magic the blade possessed.
  1. GoT: Valyrian steel, just how heavy enchanted is it, in BG terms?8 votes
    1. Just really good swords, nothing magical about them
      12.50%
    2. +1
      25.00%
    3. +2
      25.00%
    4. +3
      37.50%
    5. +4
        0.00%
    6. +5
        0.00%
    7. +6
        0.00%
    8. Different sword had different enchantments
        0.00%

Comments

• SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Throwing a +3, simple because of what happened in the show. The White Walkers shatter any weapon they touch with their ice swords and Jon not only blocks a Walker's attack, but then proceeds to one shot him. Must of been one hell of a crit, silly Walker should of been wearing a helmet :wink:

But seriously Walkers are not minor magical creatures, they are not some second rate undead, they are in fact very much alive, just alien. Beautiful and terrible is how Martin described them to the artist drawing the comic. Anyways I'm guessing you need some serious magic to damage one of those, that or fire or obsidian.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I'm guessing the walkers just have 'Immunity to normal weapons' or at least damage reduction.

With the low-magic world Martin made, a +1 sword is already leaps and bounds above a normal one. We never see one cutting through stone or any, it's just 'better' and 'sharper' so anything more than +1, +2 at most seems superfluous.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Drugar said:

I'm guessing the walkers just have 'Immunity to normal weapons' or at least damage reduction.

With the low-magic world Martin made, a +1 sword is already leaps and bounds above a normal one. We never see one cutting through stone or any, it's just 'better' and 'sharper' so anything more than +1, +2 at most seems superfluous.

I totally see where your coming from, but is the world still truly low magic? At the start sure there was little to no magic, now we have red priests and the others both raising the dead, prophets prophesying, alchemist finding it extremely easy to make wild fire, all manner of warlocks and mages gaining arcane power and dragons flying through the sky.

But yeah maybe a +3 a the sword was a bit extreme. I really do wonder if Valyrian steel will gain more power as time goes on and the dragons get bigger?

• CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I'll say dragon glass is a +1, and white walkers just have a weakness to it. Valyrian steel is strong enough to cut normal steel in half, so I'll say +2.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    The White Walkers' blades must be at least +1 with their ability to shatter normal steel, so V.Steel must be at least better than that.