Skip to content

Should i replace Rassad?

As the title states should i replace Rassad because right now for me hes only level 3 and can hardly take a beating but if you say i should who should i replace him with heres my current party
Me (a gnome lvl 3 illutionist/lvl 4 thief)
Khalid lvl 4
Jaheria lvl 3 fighter/ lvl 3 druid
ajantis lvl 4
nerra lvl 4 wild mage
rassad lvl 3 monk

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    It looks like you are going good or neutral aligned. You may want to look into taking Branwen. You can find her in the Nashkel Carnival map

She's been petrified so you'll need to buy a stone to flesh scroll from one of the temples, or the guy selling them who is near Branwen, if you want to get her into your group
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Rasaad doesn't really do anything in BG1, in terms of gameplay reasons.
    If you want to do his quest and know his story you can keep him, though I would probably change him.

I would go for Yeslick if you want a Good party, perhaps. More tanking and more healing or even Minsc if you want a really heavy hitter that is also funny.

In BG2, Rasaad turns into a powerhouse. In ToB, he turns into a battle god.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Pick him up for his quest later if you want, but I wouldn't bother with keeping him around. He is just plain bad in BG1, in BG2 he is a damage dealing monster by mid game and he basically becomes death destroyer of worlds by end game. It's not really his fault, all monks suck at low level. Monks become strong at level 15, they can be kinda alright before that, but Rasaad in BG1 is more of liability than anything else.

Dudes at playithardcore.com do a much better analysis than me.

Rasaad
    STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA Race Class Alignment
    16 16 14 11 14 14 Human Sun Soul Monk Lawful Good

Special Abilities: None outside of default monk abilities. Equipped with Moonlight Walkers: boots that grant +2 AC wearable only by Lawful Good Human Monks.

Starting HP & Proficiencies: Level 1: 8 HP, one pip in Katana and Scimitar/Ninja-to/Wakazashi. If you pick him up later on, he'll have a pip in slings as well.

Required Actions: Just talk to him. Fulfill his quest line

Ugh. Just ugh. What an abysmal NPC. Monks are really bad at low levels, even at the max level obtainable in BG1. He also has horrendous stats, and if you pick him up pre-level 4 he doesn't even have a proficiency in a ranged weapon so you can keep him safely in the back and at least contributing to fights. He brings nothing to the table outside of new dialogue and a quest line that yields some very good gear. The gauntlets of ogre power are a must so he can actually land a hit in melee and deal some decent damage. If you're looking for a character that's actually useful in battle, skip him because he's bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. As of version 1.2 he has been made into a Sun Soul Monk. I wouldn't recommend using him in a hardcore run still. He now has a few decent abilities like Sun Soulray (which he can use to hit multiple enemies from range) and Flaming Fists. But overall he still comes with most of the problems monks have.

http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php/Baldur's_Gate:_NPC_Rundown
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    It's true that Rasaad doesn't contribute much to your fighting power in BG1ee (unlike BG2ee, where he soon becomes much more impressive). However, he has a good story (which he reveals to you in several stages, at intervals of a few days), and his quest yields decent rewards (and in particular, an excellent item of equipment), so he's well worth taking along at least temporarily for that. However, his quest doesn't start until Chapter 5, and you obviously (from your levels) haven't yet reached that stage, so you might well want to drop him for now and come back to him later to do his quest.

Given the rest of your party, what you're conspicuously lacking is a Cleric. In addition to helping Jaheira with healing, Clerics have some good spells which a Druid doesn't get, and they can wear good armour and stand their ground in a fight. I agree with @elminster, Branwen would be a good choice for you.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I agree that Branwen would be a better fit for your party. Yeslick becomes available much later and is a fighter/cleric. You already have Khalid and Ajantis, Jaheira is a fighter/druid... you're pretty set for the fighting part.