Skip to content

Interjection/Banter for BG1:EE NPCs when you gain or lose reputation.

thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
edited June 2015 in Feature Requests
At present in all the times I've played through the Enhanced Edition for Baldur's Gate 1, none of the 4 new NPCs that are in the Enhanced Edition end up having any interjections or banter when you do something which affects your reputation. Neera, Baeloth, Rasaad, and Dorn never end up saying anything, either in text or voiceovers, while all of the original game NPCs in your party will make their comments about stuff either when you gain or lose reputation, or making passive comments every now and then about your current reputation.

Like for example, here are some comments some of the original NPCs may say.

Coran, Good Alignment, gaining reputation: "I think we all deserve a pat on the back."

Coran, Good Alignment, losing reputation: "I cannot give my approval for what we've just done."

Kagain, Evil Alignment, gaining reputation: "Ya buncha chumps! What the hell did ya think you was doing!?"

Kagain, Evil Alignment, losing reputation: "I like it here."

There are also times where original game NPCs would go ahead and lose their cool if your reputation went too high or too low for them to stay in the party with you, and would make a heated interjection towards you either initiating dialogue and leaving the party or simply becoming hostile towards you and being automatically removed from the party (Ajantis has a tendency to do this, he doesn't like evil player characters or evil NPCs at all). Even some Neutral aligned NPCs like Jaheira or Garrick would end up leaving your party with too low of a reputation (Their behavior seems more like that of good aligned NPCs, but Bioware gave them Neutral alignments so it is what it is). The Enhanced Edition NPCs from what I've experienced, however, don't hold the same sort of behavior, though when they initiate you in conversation there will obviously be that dialogue for them. The Enhanced Edition NPCs do have small amounts of passive banter such as for sitting around and doing nothing for a while, commenting on how you guys aren't doing anything, but other sorts of banter from what I've played seem to be oversights IMO since all the NPCs in the original game had it, despite not being fully voice acted like the new NPCs are.

Some additional banter and interjections from the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition NPCs seems like it's a much missing feature considering how many other lines of voiced dialogue Beamdog put into their encounters, dialogues with the player character, and questlines for them. It's something I would very much enjoy seeing as a free addition in Beamdog's next patch for BG:EE, to add more flavor to the characters and the party when I have Enhanced Edition characters along. It just seems odd that I could go on their questline with all this voiced dialogue, but lose or gain a reputation point along the way and not get any flavor dialogue from them which I get from the original game NPCs.

If my memory is faulty or they do have interjections but for some reason I never had them come up in my playthroughs, then I apologize. I'm just speaking on my experience and memory of previous playthroughs, as well as a character or two I've played with the most recent 1.3 patch.