Skip to content

Judge my custom just for fun potentially silly roleplay system.

NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
edited July 2015 in Off-Topic
I've been watching a series of videos by some guys on Youtube called UR live. I highly recommend them if you need a laugh and enjoy people having fun and enjoyable gaming.

That being said I'm considering doing something like this with friends based off this system and am looking for opinions on how I'd plan to run it. Basically stats would be kept to a minimum. Every action would require the roll of a d20 and the complexity of the action would determine the dice roll needed. Simple as that. A basic hit would need a 10. Crit fails and crit successes are a thing. Crit successes are not always super good as sometimes they can lead to unintended consequences. For example a crit successful fireball might just be really big. Thankfully this is also true for enemies.

The story would be four players would be apprentice mages trying to get into a prestigious mage school after their master died. Any race is allowed as long as they can fit on one tile. 50HP for everyone, 25 mana. Basic attacks do 2 damage, most enemies have less HP then the PCs. The PCs high HP is to help them survive for the long haul.

Every spell (Except D'aww wich I'll get to later) would cost 1 mana, however if you cast that spell a second time in a row it costs 2 mana, a third time? 3. This is to encourage PCs to use multiple spells and not just go with the same spells over and over. All abilities that have a combat duration last the dice roll minus 10 divided by 2. So a roll of 14 is two rounds. 16 is three. 20 indicates great success and will last several hours. The effects may last longer outside of combat depending on how amusing the GM finds it but will always last a minimum of a few minutes. Spells are either instant or have a duration. I've marked the difference with a (D) or a (I). Some spells may be persistent unless stopped by some other means and have a (P).

There are five classes. Each class can only be selected once. Once chosen the player picks 2 out of 4 skills from that class. Whichever class is not picked has its four abilities stretched out randomly over the four players. The classes and abilities are as follows:

Pyromancer- Mage of fire.
Fireball(I): 6 tile ranged attack thats 3x3 tiles wide. Does 4 damage to all caught within it.

Flash Fire(D): Blinds target.

Fire shield(D): Creates a ring of fire around the target. All attacking the target attacking with melee attacks take 2 damage. However the ring is stationary and a creature trying to move when a ring of fire is around it takes 2 damage for going through said fire.

Spread fire(P):Allows you to spread an existing magical or non-magical fire. How far depends on dice roll and how flammable the material you're spreading the fire too is.

Necromancer- Mage of death.
Raise dead(D): Raise an existing corpse from the dead. Requires one corpse. Higher rolls means stronger undead.

Talk to spirits(D): Talk to recently or ancient spirits that have died in the area you are currently in.

Terror(D): Make target view their deepest fears. The usual response is running away however some fears are more complex. The caster also learns their targets deepest fears through this spell.

Rot touch(I): A massive 10 damage melee attack, however if the attack fails the caster takes damage. Don't ask what happens on a natural 1. You do not want to know.

Enchanter- Magical item enchanter/master of mind manipulation. Its never been made clear.
Disguise(D): Disguise yourself as another creature. The more complex the disguise the higher the roll must be.

Charm(D): Control selected creature for a short duration. If you try to make them do something against their nature they can reroll to break the spell's effect. Subtly is a good thing.

Deepest Desire(D): Requires two targets. One target is made to view the second target as the thing they desire most in the world. Like terror, this can have unpredictable (but fun) results and the caster is aware of what the first target is viewing the second target as.

Enchantment(Throw)(I): The only item enchantment you know. Enchant an item to act as a throwing weapon for 6 tiles. It does 2 damage upon hitting. Any object half your size can be effected. Larger or more dangerous objects may do more damage.

Cromniomancer- Onion mage.
Growth(D): Make target grow twice or more their size, doubling their melee damage. Larger sizes increase this bonus more. Does not stack.

You Smell(D): Target smells awful. Anyone wishing to get next to the target for a melee attack or just to hang out must make a d20 roll to see if they can stand the smell.

Drop Onion(P): An onion drops on the targets head for 3 damage...What? Not all spells can be fancy.

Onion Armor(D): Make a armor of onions on your body that absorbs one attack. Weapons (such as onion peelers) and spells specifically targeting onions ignore this armor.

Nekomancer-Mage of cats.
I see what you did there(I): Lets you see the inner character of the target. A bit like a more detailed detect alignment.

Invisible object!(D): Make any non-living object invisible.

D'awww(P): Heals for a small amount of HP. Amount is half of the d20 roll. Caster must OOCly link the group to a cute cat picture to use this ability.

Schrödinger's Box: Summon a box. Rolls 9 and below means the cat within the box is not dead, but is unhelpful and lazy. 10 or above means the cat may listen to orders...Maybe...If it feels like it...Its a *cat*. No cats were harmed in the casting of this spell.
Post edited by Necomancer on

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Uh… A blind spell for the Cromniomancer? Onion Juice to the Eyes? How about a side effect of "You Stink" driving insects away. Eating onions and garlic changes the smell of your sweat and drives insects away...
    Necomancer
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    LadyRhian said:

Uh… A blind spell for the Cromniomancer? Onion Juice to the Eyes? How about a side effect of "You Stink" driving insects away. Eating onions and garlic changes the smell of your sweat and drives insects away...

That'd probably be better then onion armor I admit.