Skip to content

can you change your proficiency points when importing to BG2ee?

Been several years since exporting and importing a character from bg to bg2. Can you redo your weapon proficiencies etc.? I'm wanting to play through bgee as a fighter talented with greatsword and longbow, but once I get to bg2 thinking about using two weapons if I dual to thief or mage.

Comments

• VigilarkVigilark Member Posts: 50
    also, does Gate Keeper (think that's what it's called. the program that lets u modify your character and party members) work with enhanced editions? Really don't want to reroll if I screw up. I have a character that rolled a 90 at the beginning :) Highest I've ever seen. Think 85 or 86 was the previous highest total points I've seen.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    You can't redo your proficiencies normally, but there is a version of Gatekeeper that works with the Enhanced Editions. It's called (appropriately enough) EEKeeper. You should be able to manage your proficiencies with it.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    When importing from original BG1 to original BG2, yes, you could re-assign proficiencies during import. This was allowed because they didn't use the same version of the Infinity Engine, so original BG2 had different weapon-categories from original BG1, and manual re-allocation was necessary because the program couldn't know how to translate some categories between games. (For example, the original BG1 category of "Large Swords" included Bastard Swords, Long Swords, Two-Handed Swords, and so on, which are separate proficiencies in BG2, but original BG2 had no way to know which of these was the right one to grant when importing a character.)

In the Enhanced Editions, both use the same engine, so manual re-allocation is unnecessary, and it was therefore disallowed (because it was open to all sorts of ridiculous exploits).

In original BG1, there was an editor called Gatekeeper, and in original BG2, the similar editor was Shadowkeeper. For the Enhanced Editions, both of those are replaced by EEkeeper, which can edit either game (and also IWDee). You can find download links to it on this forum - look in the Mods section.
    k, thanks. looks like I will be using eekeeper then.

Can someone tell me at what level you are allowed 3 and 4 points in a proficiency (fighter)? I want to go by the games rules. I noticed in my previous play through I couldn't spend 3 points in a category (even tho I played a fighter) so there's a level restriction it seems.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2015
    If you are level 3 you can have 3 points. At level 6 you can have four points. At least when it comes to a pure fighter. Dual classing works a bit differently. In that case you just have to be high enough level to dual class. At which point your second class would determine when you can have more points in a proficiency type.
    k. I'm not going to dual class until bg2.