Skip to content

2 levels of Assassin/Fighter vs. Berserker Kit

Seems like an interesting trade off, I might give it a try! A note about me, I HATE mages. Which is why I LOVE poison. I also don't like the other fighter kits when compared to the Berserker, because of the equipment restrictions. So here's how it stacks up:

Assassin Pros:
2 weapon proficiencies. Limited to thief, sure, but free is free.
A permanent +1 to hit and damage. That sure stacks well with the fighter class.
x2 To back stabbing. This won't be very useful unless your heavily armored fighter is somehow made invisible.
Poison use 1/day. It's a strong venom, and all but instant death if you get the jump on a spell slinger.
Trap use 1/day. If you put everything into traps you could get it as high as 60. Can be used in heavy armor.
Detect illusion. It's worth putting 10% into this, if you're invisible you can just stand next to a target until it works.
Other thief skills. You will be fine for the beginning of BG and wise potion use can get you even further success.

Assassin Cons:
-14 total HP
18 STR until supplemented with potions, tomes, etc.

Berserker Pros:
Rage. Several times a day you can get a +2 to hit and damage and a -2 AC bonus. +15 HP, and immunities to several spell effects.

Berserker Cons:
Gets winded. Annoying but rarely a problem if you time your rages right.
Only 1 pip into range. Not a big deal.

In the very long run, it's a 29 HP swing when you weigh the loss of rage into it. But, it's like you get a permanent rage that is half as good. The +1 hit/dam that assassins get can't be overlooked. Zerks are awesome at seeking out and destroying mages, and a lot of the assassin/vanillas success is contingent upon being made invisible before a battle. While invisible you could walk up to mages that have illusionary defenses up, and wait until you dispel them (detect illusion), poison your weapons, and gain a +4 to hit with a X2 to damage for your first strike. Then, do what fighters do and hit often.

Something to consider!

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Damn I want to try this now...
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Very cool analysis. I may have to try this.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I find it works best with ranged weapons, so you can poison as many targets as possible without wasting valuable time moving between them.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307

I find it works best with ranged weapons, so you can poison as many targets as possible without wasting valuable time moving between them.

Yeah, darts in particular are fantastic for poison.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    I would slog through fighter first then duel at 9. Going Assassin first loses so much of what makes assassin great. Then again I have no problem with EEkeepering a kit onto the class I dual into. If you do have a problem with adding a duel to your second class disregard this, if not take assassin later on the 7x backstabs and timestop trap are way cooler than greater whirlwind. If you want a quick power boost dual at fighter lvl3, a quick extra pip in whatever you want plus the 30 to 40 hp will make your assassin ridiculously OP. You can still achieve grand mastery, albeit at a much slower rate and you get to throw a lot points into hide in shadows and move silently. The major problem with going assassin first besides the HLA's is the lack of stealth you have, yes you can compensate with invis items and potions, but potions are finite and resting every time you want to use a item is a huge mission, plus most of the invis items only show up in bg2.
  • cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
    If you really want to get the most out of the assassin kit you're better off playing them pure in my opinion.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    edited July 2015
    Some further analysis, after crunching some numbers.

Two characters with 3,000,000 XP.

Berserker 9/Thief 22
    167 hp
    base thac0 10
    weapon prof points 14
    thief skill points 565
    rage 2/day
    backstab x5
    weapon mastery
    base attacks 1.5
    traps 4/day
    epic level abilities: thief

Assassin 2/ Fighter 19
    151 hp
    base thac0 2
    weapon prof points 12
    thief skill points 55
    poison 1/day
    +1 HIT/DAM
    backstab x2
    weapon mastery
    base attacks 2
    traps 1/day
    epic level abilities: fighter

The assassin build is vastly superior as a fighter due to a thac0 that is 8 better, .5 more attacks, and an additional +1 to hit/dam. 16 less hp but this build will be wearing the best armor all the time, it's not built to rely on thief skills. And of course, poison 1/day.

The f/t build is a master thief, but that 10 thac0 is really weak, the rages help but not enough.

A pure berserker would have 5 rages a day, 1 better thac0, and 17 more hp. The better thac0 is offset by the fact that you can hit level 20 in 1,250 xp, that also closes the hp gap by 3. So you have to weigh the following things:

rage 5/day + 14hp Vs. poison 1/day, +1 to damage, +1 to hit, minor thief abilities.

Those minor rogue skills don't mean much but it adds a lot of flavor.

Then there's the multi-class f/t with 3 mil xp:

121 hp
    thac0 7
    prof 8
    thief skills 415
    backstab x5
    base attacks 2
    traps 3/day
    weapon specialization

When you factor in everything, the a2/f19 build is far superior with his main weapon(s).

Overall:
    to hit: +8
    damage: +4
    poison 1/day
    extra attack
    better speed factor
    30 more hp

Post edited by Lateralus on
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Kensei 9 or 13 -> thief and then say goodbye to restrictions with UAI.
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    If going for a warrior type kit instead of Berserker I'd probably go with a Cavalier, since their primary draw isn't them being reliant on charges of their abilities like some other classes and kits. I too dislike having to deal with Mages and having poison/acid as an offensive threat is great for dealing with them. What's great with the Cavalier is they can be just as good at dealing with them because of the immunities to battle swaying effects mages try inflicting upon you and having an infinite supply of Remove Fear for your party. The fact you can't use ranged weapons isn't all that different from a Berserker kit only getting basic use out of ranged weapons, as you'll want others plucking away with ranged weapons anyway.

Either offense or defense can be effective for dealing with Mages or getting to them before they can get off some of their useful spells. Blackguards and Assassins both get the poison weapon ability so both could be effective getting a hit in on a spellcaster. The Paladin kits by themselves tend to fair better overall than the Fighter or Thief kits by themselves, except maybe the Dwarven Defender. Dual classing is what makes some of the kits more appealing than playing a Paladin, supplementing different parts of the character. Then again all of the Paladin kits are basically better than the base Paladin class so there's little reason to play a Paladin without a kit, whereas playing a non-kitted Fighter (or dual classing into one) is still a nice choice to have.
    Zerks are way more effective than Cavs. Rage makes them immune to hold, level drain, and almost every mind affecting spell. Cavs are immune to Charm, which is cast by enemy spell caster about never. Sirens cast dominate in melee, even with a pally +2 to saves cavs are susceptible. Zerks get an extra 15 hp which is better than a 20% reduction in fire and acid most of the time. Cavs get the holy avenger later on but zerks get weapon mastery early on. Rage also gives a +2 bonus to hit/dam and AC making them deadly tanks that can shrug off spells while the party deals with mages.

Wowo said:

You need 4,250,000 xp in order to lift the restrictions. Thats a long way to go without enjoying the game.
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    edited July 2015
    Lateralus said:

Zerks are way more effective than Cavs. Rage makes them immune to hold, level drain, and almost every mind affecting spell. Cavs are immune to Charm, which is cast by enemy spell caster about never. Sirens cast dominate in melee, even with a pally +2 to saves cavs are susceptible. Zerks get an extra 15 hp which is better than a 20% reduction in fire and acid most of the time. Cavs get the holy avenger later on but zerks get weapon mastery early on. Rage also gives a +2 bonus to hit/dam and AC making them deadly tanks that can shrug off spells while the party deals with mages.

True, but poison immunity as well as buffed up fire resistance and immunities (which aren't reliant on a sporadic ability) also means a Cavalier could go headfirst into a fray as a spellcaster uses crowd control spells without having to worry as much what's happening to the frontliner in the fray. And they get those bonuses/immunities all the time without getting winded afterwards. Perhaps for a solo run a Berserker dual classed into something would work much better than a Cavalier (having some access to ranged weapons would definitely help), but in a party the Cavalier offers some alternative ways to fight those different groups of enemies and take out those spellcasters.

With a Berserker it's basically using your Berserking ability and hoping you don't run out of charges when you might need one for a battle like for immunity to status effects, as a newer or first time player isn't going to know all the specific encounters it would be useful for. A Cavalier also prevents those Horror spells from causing your party members to flake out in the middle of a battle, so their abilities benefit more than just him/her in combating spellcasters. By the time you reach around level 4 or 5, you basically have an infinite amount of Remove Fear charges at your disposal.

Also generally the Barbarian's Rage ability is better than Berserking, with Berserks getting access to weapon mastery instead. The extra 15 hit points sound better early on but the Constitution boost from the Barbarian's Rage as well as higher hit die for leveling up means if you'd want to go more for how you use your Rage ability then the Barbarian might be a bit better. Of course this thread is more about a dual class Berserker and you can't dual class a Barbarian so it just depends on what kind of warrior you want. Dual classing a Berserker means you'll not have too many charges a day of your Berserk ability later on, and while waiting to regain your Berserker abilities you won't have access to it either while something like a Cavalier wouldn't ever lose access to their bonuses unless your reputation dipped too low (which shouldn't be a problem).
    Post edited by thelovebat on
    Id rather have zerker rage over barbie. There are lots of things that incease str and you add rage on too of that plus weapon mastery is a huge advantage. No doubt barbs get more hp but look at the crappy armor they wear, and they not only dont get an ac bonus, they get penalized!
    Noobacca said:

I'm currently playing through ToB with an "evil ranger" (assassin 9 > fighter 31) and it's seriously the most enjoyable playthrough so far. When I dualed, I put points straight into longbow and got it to Grandmaster. At his current level he also has 5 pips in scimitars, 3 in longsword and two-weapon style, 1 in katana and quaterstaff.
    He deals a ton of damage, whether from a far with his longbow or up close with melee. Add poison weapon on top and most enemies will melt in front of him. I maxed out traps and put the remainder in hide in shadows for the occasional (and minor) damage boost from a cheeky backstab.
    I've also got Wilson in my party for giggles. He compliments my vengeful woodsman quite nicely!

You cant tank with that build, i want a fighter just one thats different than vanilla and the kits are meh. Really would like to go level 6 assassin for x2trap and poison and max set trap akill and a x3 backstab.

But, thats a 42 hp dump that i dont think i could ever recover from
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    Lateralus said:

You cant tank with that build, i want a fighter just one thats different than vanilla and the kits are meh. Really would like to go level 6 assassin for x2trap and poison and max set trap akill and a x3 backstab.

TBH my character isn't the main tank so I was quite happy to trade the HP for extra poison/day and thief points. I have Dorn and Sarevok which I use to tank; my NPC pelts people with arrows or sneaks in afterwards for backstabs.

Overall, I'd highly recommend trying it. It's a lot of fun. I was thinking of trying a "ninja" build in my next playthrough (shadowdancer > fighter). Probably won't be as successful as the assassin>fighter but I'll give it a shot.
    Well I'm looking ahead to BG2 with an all neutral aligned party. Plenty of arcane and some divine casters, Jaheira can tank OK but there's nobody to wade into the front lines and make a serious dent. So I need to be a fighter, but not some ordinary one.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Lateralus said:

Really would like to go level 6 assassin for x2trap and poison and max set trap akill and a x3 backstab.

Oddly enough, I've actually got a character already rolled up for exactly that build, although I haven't yet got around to taking him out for a run. I'm planning to use him as my main front-line tank once he has a few Fighter levels, in spite of the HP penalty of the build. I think he'll still have enough HP to survive, although I'll have to be careful. I'll see how it works when I get around to it.

Lateralus said:

Really would like to go level 6 assassin for x2trap and poison and max set trap akill and a x3 backstab.

Oddly enough, I've actually got a character already rolled up for exactly that build, although I haven't yet got around to taking him out for a run. I'm planning to use him as my main front-line tank once he has a few Fighter levels, in spite of the HP penalty of the build. I think he'll still have enough HP to survive, although I'll have to be careful. I'll see how it works when I get around to it.
    Yeah let us know! Maxed out in BG 1 you could be A6/F8 with 78 hp (assuming 19CON). That's 2 hp below the maximum for an 8th level fighter with a 14CON. If you're a glass half full kind of person, that's not bad! I would pour thief skills into detect illusion and set traps, two things you can use while wearing full plate.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    edited July 2015
    Damn...right now I'm doing a shadowdancer run (I plan to go SD-13 and then fighter for x3 backstab with grandmastery and enough move silently to reliably go invisible whenever). But that sounds awesome.

Given that detect illusion can be done with full plate...I'd be tempted to try a swashbuckler-10 then fighter. So BG1 as a swashbuckler then dual at the start of BG2, when the xp jump is insane. It would give the fighter +2 THACO, +2 damage, +3 AC and the equivalent of true sight with some traps to boot. All he loses out on is the backstabbing, but when wearing full plate that doesn't matter anyways. And with the extra levels, he'd have enough to max out both skills, while being able to put whatever extra there is into pickpockets.
    I made a Priest of Talos named Grom Doom Crow. Effing love that character. Went on an epic run where I killed every living thing I could. Squirrels, Scar, Elminster, Beregost, Nashkel, everything. I mainttained a 1 rep through max level, slaughtering countless flaming fist mercy along the way. Current save game is just outside of Baldurs Gate. After I hit level 11 in BG2 I'm going mage, with a fitting quasit familiar (electricity).

Anyways, I like your name!

Back on topic, I considered 1 level of SB but I feel the assassin is more the feel I want.

I admire you guys going for such high levels in rogue kits, but the HP compensation is too costly for me.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    edited July 2015
    The HP comparison is definitely painful, but I don't think it's game-breaking. In BG1, if you have a 16 Con, there are only a few NPC fighters that'll have substantially more hp than you (since d6+2 is, on average, as good as 1d10, and only a couple BG1 warriors have much of a Con bonus). It's more of an issue in BG2, where hit points start to matter a lot more than AC. Unfortunately, as a thief->fighter, you don't have a lot of good remedies for that, but if you're looking to make a glass-cannon type character, the innate assassin combat bonuses plus poison weapon would make you quite deadly indeed, especially against caster types.

EDIT: Actually, I think this build would make a fantastic non-Archer-kit archer. The hit points wouldn't matter as much on a backliner, and the poison weapon could really help make up for archers' general lack of punch.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Lateralus said:

Wowo said:

You need 4,250,000 xp in order to lift the restrictions. Thats a long way to go without enjoying the game.
    I've actually done the Kensai 13>Thief, and it was one of the most entertaining playthroughs I've had. You start out as a suicidal fighter, then go to a sneaky rogue, finally come into your own with crazy kensai thaco backstabs. Eventually when you get UAI and can slap that black dragon armor on, you feel like you've earned it. You spend a lot of time with each of the individual classes, but still get to change things up.

Lateralus said:

Wowo said:

I've actually done the Kensai 13>Thief, and it was one of the most entertaining playthroughs I've had. You start out as a suicidal fighter, then go to a sneaky rogue, finally come into your own with crazy kensai thaco backstabs. Eventually when you get UAI and can slap that black dragon armor on, you feel like you've earned it. You spend a lot of time with each of the individual classes, but still get to change things up.
    SPOILERISH

Sounds cool when you put it like that. But BG1 is actually very easy for Kensei provided of course that you don't warrant a low reputation that cripples spending. The Shield Amulet gives you the equivalence of scale mail for around 600 gold (and it's AC 2 vs. missile attacks!) and with a +2 Kensei bonus you practically have full plate early in the game. Just keep recharging it and you could solo the game with a Kensei. Factor in an eventual +2 for a ring of protection, +1 for the cloak of Balduran, 18 DEX, and maybe 2 pips into single weapon style and you could be looking at a regular AC of -6! Pretty far from suicidal my friend.

I'm intrigued about the Wizard Slayer for the magic resistance. Consider a level 9 WS turned rogue. at around 3,400,000 total XP you could wield the Holy Avenger (+50% MR) with a base 30% MR. That's 80% magic resistance and what was the kits greatest disadvantage is turned into it's greatest asset. Magic items.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    I don't think it's really worth it.

Trap 1/day is not that useful and you won't get the high-level traps.

The +1 THAC0 bonus is moot. You get much better bonus with a half-orc's 19 STR and an Elf gets +1 with swords and bows on top of STR bonus.

If you want to dual at low level, shadowdancer would be much more effective. With hide in plain sight, you essentially get free invisibility every round with a +4 bonus to you attack. You won't wear heavy armor, but invisibility is the best armor. With boots and shadow armor you should get decent stealth even at low level (maybe wait until Level 3).

If you really want a good fighter with poison, I suggest a blackguard. They also have some permanent immunities (fear, level drain), although not as good as Rage. So they could be seen as the middle ground between assassins and berzerker in that respect.

I've considered these points you have made, and while I would enjoy playing a hobbit/shadow dancer, it's not what I'm looking for. Here's why:
    Francois said:

Even with just 25% in Set Traps you can create devastating ambushes, provided of course that you are patient. The basic run of the mill trap is 2d8+5 each. You can set one a day, for a maximum of 7 traps in an area. That's 49-147 points of damage that bypasses many defenses. You can easily kill Drizzt or Elminster! They can be set while wearing heavy armor, and I can go as high as 60% with just 2 levels of Assassin.

The +1 THAC0 bonus is moot. You get much better bonus with a half-orc's 19 STR and an Elf gets +1 with swords and bows on top of STR bonus.

That 19 STR turns into a 20, but my 18 STR will turn into a 19. So the orc would end up with a +3hit/+8 damage and the assassin would end up with a +4hit/+8 damage. The elf gets a +1 to hit with a few weapons, the assassin gets a +1 to hit and damage with every weapon.

If you want to dual at low level, shadowdancer would be much more effective. With hide in plain sight, you essentially get free invisibility every round with a +4 bonus to you attack. You won't wear heavy armor, but invisibility is the best armor. With boots and shadow armor you should get decent stealth even at low level (maybe wait until Level 3).

I want to be the tank, if I disappear my allies will get attacked.

If you really want a good fighter with poison, I suggest a blackguard. They also have some permanent immunities (fear, level drain), although not as good as Rage. So they could be seen as the middle ground between assassins and berzerker in that respect.

I want to be neutral, not evil.

In the long run the assassin2/vanilla fighter will outclass the blackgaurd in pure melee combat. With weapon mastery and the assassin bonus, you end up with +4hit/+6 damage, a better speed factor and more attacks (important for poison use). The BG will be around +1/+2 and much slower, he does get way more poison uses though.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Lateralus said:

I've considered these points you have made, and while I would enjoy playing a hobbit/shadow dancer, it's not what I'm looking for. Here's why:

Francois said:

Even with just 25% in Set Traps you can create devastating ambushes, provided of course that you are patient. The basic run of the mill trap is 2d8+5 each. You can set one a day, for a maximum of 7 traps in an area. That's 49-147 points of damage that bypasses many defenses. You can easily kill Drizzt or Elminster! They can be set while wearing heavy armor, and I can go as high as 60% with just 2 levels of Assassin.

That 19 STR turns into a 20, but my 18 STR will turn into a 19. So the orc would end up with a +3hit/+8 damage and the assassin would end up with a +4hit/+8 damage. The elf gets a +1 to hit with a few weapons, the assassin gets a +1 to hit and damage with every weapon.

In the long run the assassin2/vanilla fighter will outclass the blackgaurd in pure melee combat. With weapon mastery and the assassin bonus, you end up with +4hit/+6 damage, a better speed factor and more attacks (important for poison use). The BG will be around +1/+2 and much slower, he does get way more poison uses though.
    Blackguard with gauntlets, offhand speed weapon and 13 levels caps the 5 attacks per round (10 with IH) giving maximum poison use.

Blackguard can cast DUHM eventually giving 25 strength and dexterity giving better damage and thac0 with melee and ranged weapons (not to mention better AC and HP). Low levels you have exceptional strength which should translate to at least +1 thac0 and +3 damage.

On top of these a blackguard has plenty of other benefits like the nice Aura of Despair.
    Wowo said:

Lateralus said:

Francois said:

Blackguard with gauntlets, offhand speed weapon and 13 levels caps the 5 attacks per round (10 with IH) giving maximum poison use.

Blackguard can cast DUHM eventually giving 25 strength and dexterity giving better damage and thac0 with melee and ranged weapons (not to mention better AC and HP). Low levels you have exceptional strength which should translate to at least +1 thac0 and +3 damage.

On top of these a blackguard has plenty of other benefits like the nice Aura of Despair.
    It's a neutral PC, not evil.

• FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited July 2015
    Lateralus said:

In the long run the assassin2/vanilla fighter will outclass the blackgaurd in pure melee combat.

That is true, but it's true of any fighter. My main point was that the 2 levels of assassins don't really add anything gamechanging, so you would be better off with a berzerker in my opinion. Traps are useful, but you are probably going to need another thief anyway for locks and detect traps and that one will also get plenty more set traps.
    Francois said:

Lateralus said:

In the long run the assassin2/vanilla fighter will outclass the blackgaurd in pure melee combat.

That is true, but it's true of any fighter. My main point was that the 2 levels of assassins don't really add anything gamechanging, so you would be better off with a berzerker in my opinion. Traps are useful, but you are probably going to need another thief anyway for locks and detect traps and that one will also get plenty more set traps.
    My first post shows my thought on the difference. In comes to preference. Been there done that with the Zerks. In short it's a hp dump for poison use and a permanent +1hit/dam with a few other perks.