Skip to content

Jasper and Bassano [Spoilers?]

So, I got to the "riddle cage" subquest in Rasaad's quest, and I have to wonder: How did you all figure it out? I personally would have just asked, "Does 2 + 2 = 4?" instead of the options they gave us -since it seems that you could literally ask any question- but I suppose that would be too easy... :|

I would love to hear your reasoning!

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited July 2015
    You can only ask one question though. After learning who was truthful, how would you have found out which cage was trapped?

This was my reasoning when I was asked the riddle in real life: Since I didn't know who would lie to me, I wanted a question that would have the same answer regardless of whom I asked. If I asked one person what the other would say, I was guaranteed to get a "wrong" answer—since one and only one would lie. Because there were two possible answers, that would tell me the right one.
  • DLiteDLite Member Posts: 53
    It's bugged I think. It's a classic 'ask the other one what he would've said, and do the opposite' -riddle.

The riddle goes:
    There are two men, and two buttons, right and left button. If you press the correct button you get ice cream (right button). If you press the wrong button you die (left button). One man lies, one doesn't, but you don't know which one lies. You can ask one man one question.

Correct answer:
    Ask one of them what the other one would've said, and press the opposite button.

Explanation:
    If you're talking to the liar, he will tell you the honest man would've told you to press the left (kill) button
    Hence press the right.
    If you're talking to the honest man, he'll tell you the liar would tell you to press the left (kill) button.
    Hence press the right.

Problem is, it doesn't work in BGEE.

I spoke with Bassano in the right cage first. Jasper is in the left.
    I asked Bassano 'what would Jasper have said'.
    Bassano said - he would've suggested the 'other cage', i.e. Bassano's cage to the right.
    So, the left cage should be the correct answer.
    I open the left cage, Jasper's, and they both die.

So, it's bugged, or the word 'other' in Bassano's view is Jasper's cage, rather than 'other' for Jasper, which is Bassano's cage. It's messy either way. Not only is the riddle sorta difficult, but you don't know if Bassano's 'other' is Jasper's cage, or the reply Jasper would've given.

J.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I find it obvious (in the context of the exact wording of the question you can ask) that each speaks from his own point of view when describing the other man's cage as "the other cage", so it works fine for me.