Skip to content

New renderer (or something, lol)

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything more on the new renderer or way they are rendering the pixels etc for the Infinity Engine in SoD?

The characters seem to look a bit smoother and nicer with the slight outline in those screen shots. Just wondering if anyone knows what they did? And also will it be applied to BGEE and BG2EE?

I think it looks really nice and is a bit of a graphical improvement :)

Comments

• cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    I think they just applied a smoothing filter to the original character sprites to make them look less pixelated when fully zoomed in. These new sprites will likely be ported to all the EE games.

I think the only new assets that were rendered were the new areas. Given Trent's comment during the live stream that "every pixel was new" I am going to guess that they either found the original assets for some of the Baldur's Gate maps or recreated the source art for those maps. So the new maps, the few reused BG maps, the newly smoothed sprites, and the new UI makes "every pixel new."
    GallowglassjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    Ahh cool that makes sense about the smoothing filter. Looks like a nice improvement to the character sprites to me :D
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    edited July 2015
    Yeah I really hope they will apply this smoothing thingy to the other games in the series. The character sprites look nicer this way, I like it!
    JuliusBorisov