Skip to content

Information needed: who are these guys?

FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
In the Marching Mountains, off in a corner, there is an encounter with a weird group of Bhaalspawn, with the unlikely names of Toop the Brave, Tibit, Merlinus and Chinchilla (who is a talking, spellcasting chicken).

Now, the folks who did the BG series do like their occasional in joke. I recall encountering Rocky and Bullwinkle near Adoy's Retreat, and the talking chicken in BG1 who was an inept mage's apprentice. So, I figured this had to be more of the same.

Unfortunately, I had never heard of any of these names before, and a Google search proved fairly uninformative also. I did learn that Tibbits was the surname of the pilot of the Enola Gay, but I hardly think there is any real connection there.

So, if anyone knows what the scoop is on these characters, I would appreciate knowing,

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    FrdNwsm said:

and Chinchilla (who is a talking, spellcasting chicken).

Something tells me that Chinchilla is, in fact, a chinchilla (rodents which are currently Critically Endangered in South America).
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    They are sold as pets here in South Africa, also there used to be a chinchilla farm outside my city where the little beasties were breed and murdered for their fur.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    I do think the group is just a joke, a group of weak monster adventurer Bhaalspawn. I never did understand how they made it that far.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited July 2015

FrdNwsm said:

and Chinchilla (who is a talking, spellcasting chicken).

Something tells me that Chinchilla is, in fact, a chinchilla (rodents which are currently Critically Endangered in South America).

If you look at it, chinchilla IS definitely a chicken. The others look like a kobold, a goblin and something else small and humanoid. Dad was clearly desperate at that point.

@SmilingSword True, but one has to always distinguish between breeded animals in captivity and wild living ones.

@FrdNwsm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBXMUwDZWZQ

Don't know about you, but it sure looks like Chinchilla uses the bunny sprite to me...
    OK, here's another thing I want to know. How the heck do you make a video capture like that?
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Yeah, I always thought Chinchilla used the rabbit sprite, which was probably the best they could do towards making it an actual chinchilla.

But yeah, this encounter is very silly.
    Well, I figured it was an "in" joke, like the Moose and Squirrel = Rocky and Bullwinkle deal back in SoA, or a character named Dorotea Senjak coming up in BG1. I thought maybe these were the names of some characters from a book or movie, but nothing came up on Google search.

My resolution there isn't clear, it may well be a rabbit sprite. Either way, it's clearly designed as a less than serious encounter scenario.
  • BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110
    I think it was Bioware poking fun at themselves. In ToB it seems Bhaal had much more than just a "score" of mortal progeny. And that he wasn't too particular about who and what he laid up with to get them.
    Just think of it that way:

Toop the Brave -> Sir Lancelot the Brave
    Tibit -> Tim the Enchanter
    Merlinus -> Merlin
    and Chinchilla -> the Rabbit of Caerbannog
    That's Caer Ban Og, please.