Skip to content

Shadows of Amen help

Before I explain I have a quick question. I completed the first baldurs gate. I didn't do the black pits because I thought that was stand alone and I didn't want to confuse myself. Now I'm into baldurs gate 2 but I started with shadows of Amen. Should I have done that or started with baldurs gate 2?

In shadows of Amen, I've escaped the prison but imoen was captured. I knew this was unavoidable. Now I'm working for the shadow thieves. I'm on chapter three already and I feel so lost. The journal doesn't seem to have the same in-depthness that it did in the first baldurs gate.

If you need me to explain it better I can try. I'm so confused and lost anyway. XD

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Yes, the Black Pits (included with BG1ee) and Black Pits 2 (included with BG2ee) are separate, stand-alone games. (They use the same game engine, and it is therefore possible to transfer characters between BG and BP, but BP is not part of the BG continuity, so if you're playing through the BG story then ignore BP.)

BG2ee is in two parts. The first part is "Shadows of Amn" (SoA) and the second part is "Throne of Bhaal" (ToB). So you're fine, you've started in SoA, and that's where you're meant to start. (At the end of SoA, you'll get an automatic transfer into ToB, but ToB is also available on the starting menus because (if you wish) it's possible to go directly into ToB and play it as a stand-alone game.)

The journal in SoA can be confusing because there are so very many quests. However, it sounds like you're making good progress, and working for the Shadow Thieves is generally the right choice (unless you're playing Evil). You'll get the option to go rescue Imoen after completing the several quests you get from the Shadowmaster ... but first you can (and probably should) carry on doing some other quests until you've built up some decent equipment, cash, and experience.
  • Meri20098Meri20098 Member Posts: 31
    Thanks so much for your reply. Very insightful, helpful, and appreciated
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    I have always thought the transition between BG1 and BG2 was a little hard troubling (The first game ends in a city below earth and you are Baldur's Gate hero, miles from Athkathla, and then you seem to wake up in Athkatha in that prison for no reason), and that's what SoD will try to explain and I think it is much needed.
    Gallowglass got it all though
    Thanks @Arunsun
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I remember feeling a little overwhelmed the first time I played Shadows of Amn as well. You are hit with so much all at once. It sounds like your doing great though!
    Does it seem kind of rushed in a way? The chapters seem to speed by and I don't play long maybe an hour every other day.

Also how do you know when a quest is timed? Is there a clock visible somewhere on the screen? I've never had a timed quest but I don't want my party to accidentally sleep through one
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    edited July 2015
    Once you get to chapter two you really have access to the entire world. But the prologue-1-2 jumps are very quick, considering that the only chapter one area is Waukeen's Promenade.

Re:timed quests, there is no indication. NPC quests are usually the timed ones, and they will bug you about hurrying up. Besides that, the majority of quests are not timed whatsoever. Rescuing Imoen is not timed, but promising to help Nalia and then taking her along will be. But you don't lose the quest, you lose Nalia until you do her quest.

In short, first two chapters are fast, only party NPCs will really bother with timers.
    Thanks!
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    The only quests that have a strict timer, are in a certain part of Chapter 5. It's only 4 or 5 quests, that come from the same source, so watch out for those when you get there.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Chapters 2, 3, and 6 are very open. You can run around doing a lot of content, but the actual main plot of those chapters can be dealt with very quickly. Chapters 4, 5, and 7 are much more plot-heavy.