Skip to content

Editing Baldur.ini.

I installed the game on my windows 8 lenovo laptop and it works fine on its own so far. When i decide to aplly the cheats by editing the baldur.ini, it launches fine but when it start loading game or starting a new one... it blacks out and crashes. took off the edit and it started playing fine again. I dont know what is going on... is it some sort of patch that removes the cheat system or am i dong something wrong.... PLEASE HELP... the same situation goes for the BG2:EE as well.

Comments

• BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110
    If you are using Windows Notepad to edit the file, then try using another program like Notepad++. I'm not sure how fiddly the EE version of the game is, but some programs look for a specific type of text file character encoding and I've had Windows Notepad screw with such things before.

Also, paste exactly what you are adding to the file here. It could just be a simple syntax error.
  • bwbraunbwbraun Member Posts: 3
    I tried Notepad ++, and it stilll does the same thing. Maybe this will help.... when it blacks out and crashes it give me these errors.....
    .\sql_complier.c(1021): [not exists] Cannot find 'time_recieved' on table 'quests'
    and i click ok and it shows
    .\sgl.c(38): sql: attempting to call NULL statement
    and then it send a crash report to beamdog.... hope this helps
  • bwbraunbwbraun Member Posts: 3
    nevermind i have figured out the problem myself thank you for your help @Bulcher i appreciate it
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Blucher said:

I'm not sure how fiddly the EE version of the game is, but some programs look for a specific type of text file character encoding and I've had Windows Notepad screw with such things before.

For the record, I've used Windows Notepad to edit, and the BG games appear to have no problem with it.
  • caramello12caramello12 Member Posts: 6
    When you save the .ini file, make sure you save it as ANSI or unicode from the encoding box, otherwise it may not save all the text in the proper format, had the same problem.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    And to be sure if something goes wrong take a backup of the ini file. Then you can always use the original one again.

Also you have to have started a game before editing. At least I have. Otherwise you can't put in the line needed.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    yeah, make sure your spacing and your commas and do-hickies are all in the right places or else weird things might start happening