Skip to content

Alignment Wars Thread: Placing all our favorite fictional characters into little boxes

13»

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @BelgarathMTH - or Elric?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @the_spyder, Sorry, do you mean this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric_of_Melniboné

If so, I haven't read it, so I can't really respond. If you mean to quote that source as fantasy literature with a compelling neutral character, then I'll take your word for it and give you the point. :)
    @BelgarathMTH - LOL. Yes. That was the character I was referencing. I would highly recommend reading the series (at least the initial stuff) not because it makes any point here, but simply because it is among the best fantasy that I've ever read.

Elric is kind of an anachronism. He ostensibly serves the lords of Chaos and Arioch in particular, a particularly bloodthirsty Deity by all accounts. But his own personal internal compass often times brings him in conflict with those same Lords of Chaos. I'd be very hard pressed to put an alignment to the character as he changes quite considerably over the course of the book series. I believe that the original Deities and Demi-Gods actually list HIS alignment (before it got redacted due to the lawsuit that removed that pantheon from the book entirely) as Chaotic Evil, but as I say it is WAY more complicated than that. Yes, he slaughters a LOT of innocent people, but it is as much the fault of that which he serves as it is his own (and yes, he does some bad stuff all on his own).

But more than anything else, the book series and it's author are where the whole Law vs Chaos thing in D&D Alignments originated from. And is a fascinating read from that perspective alone.

I grew up more identifying with the Anti-hero. Among my favorites are Elric, Vlad Taltos and Raistlin. Even in comics I gravitated more towards characters like The Wolverine, The Batman and Vigilante rather than more conventional 'Lawful Good (esque)' characters like Superman and Captain America. Not quite sure what that says about me personally though.
    BelgarathMTH
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Elric is in fact listed as Chaotic Evil in the Deities & Demigods book.

Considering that he willingly serves a chaotic evil deity, seems to fit him just fine. A chaotic evil character can be complicated and still be chaotic evil.
    BelgarathMTHbooinyoureyesFardragon
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    You guys are overthinking it. A neutral character is just someone between good and evil. He doesn't really try to be good, but he doesn't want to be a "bad person". nobody does. Largely a bystander, like @BelgarathMTH said. I.e, Most people.
    When asked questions about alignment they'll probably give a "good" answer, but for different reasons than a good person. A good person really believes in their good cause, a neutral person just doesn't want to look bad. And their not lying either, because if they where in that situation they'd probably do the good thing because they don't want to look like a dick.
    BelgarathMTH

Considering that he willingly serves a chaotic evil deity, seems to fit him just fine. A chaotic evil character can be complicated and still be chaotic evil.

That's a strange definition of 'Willing'. In the beginning he served because that was pretty much what people did in his culture. Later on.... well, let's just say there was a certain amount of coercion to get him on the side of Chaos. Not that he was a 'Nice guy' or anything.

• NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

That's a strange definition of 'Willing'. In the beginning he served because that was pretty much what people did in his culture. Later on.... well, let's just say there was a certain amount of coercion to get him on the side of Chaos. Not that he was a 'Nice guy' or anything.

*shrugs* I haven't read the books. I wouldn't know.
    @Meagloth - I think you are confusing what people want others to think of them and how they actually think.

Never the less, I've failed to explain adequately my stance, but I'm good with that. I know how I play neutrals and I don't pretend to try to tell others how THEY should play neutrals. It's all good.
    Nonnahswriter
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    You missed that Neutral characters can also have friends. They want to help their friend because this person is their friend- another reason to adventure.
    NonnahswriterBelgarathMTH
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    *Casts Animate Dead on the thread*

Steven Universe!!!

Steven Universe: He is a child who doesn't understand a lot about the world and his sorroundings yet. He is very impulsive and makes a lot of wrong decisions. But he is full of love and has a heart made of pure gold. Chaotic Good.

Garnet: Garnet is mysterious and strong. Under her cold fassade is a kind and caring person. Neutral Good.

Amethyst: She is embodied chaos and can be very selfish, but even though she rarely shows it, she cares for those close to her. Chaotic Neutral.

Pearl: A logical thinker and she puts her duty over all else. Though her need for order can sometimes go out of hand, she'll ultimately do the right thing, even if she sometimes needs a nudge in the right direction. What motivates her is her love and undying loyalty for her friends and for Rose Quartz. Lawful Neutral.

Greg Universe: He is easy going and goes with the flow. His heart is in the right spot. Chaotic Good.

Peridot: Thick headed, intelligent, terrible social skills and and utter lack of empathy. What counts is the mission and knowledge. True Neutral.
    SmilingSword