Skip to content

post iOS 8.3 saved game import from Mac -> iPad

Hello,

I've been reading up on how to ex- and import saved games from BG:EE from Mac (app store) and iPad, throughout these forums. I've found many posts in the iPad archive section. But almost all of these posts point to using iFUnBox to transfer BG:EE Mac saved games to th eiPad version. But, as BG:EE in the iPad doesn't allow sandbox to access its files and folders (a general iOS restriction since 8.3), tere's no way to transfer Mac saved games to an iPad anymore. Unless I make a local backup of the iPad, edit that backup to include the saved game, and then restore the iPad. THat's too much of a good thing for me.

So, any tips on how to trasfer a BG:EE Mac save game to the iPad?

Comments

• Krød MandôônKrød Mandôôn Member Posts: 4
    Nobody?
    I found this, but the app crashes when trying to open the file:

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition offer a new way to share your saved games between PC and tablet. To migrate your saves, sound sets, or custom portraits, you’ll need a program that can create a zip archive and a way to change the file extension.

You’ll be using the following extensions:
    • .bg1save (used to transfer saved games)
    • .bg1portrait (used to transfer portraits)
    • .bg1sound (used to transfer sound sets)

Place the appropriate files in a zip archive, then change the file extension to the appropriate one from the list above. Then, you can email the renamed archive to yourself and open it on your iPad. When prompted, select to open with Baldur’s Gate; the game will launch, and you’ll see your files reflected in-game.

For saved games, make sure that you include the entire folder for the saved game (the one labeled “00000001-Auto-Save”, for example). You can transfer multiple saves within a single file.

Do not include the entire “save”, “sounds”, or “portraits” folder in your archive, and do not mix sounds, portraits, and saved games together in the same archive.

Portraits must still follow the file format and naming convention described in the game’s included manuals: 24-bit BMP, 8 characters or less, with a standard aspect ratio of 210x330 for the large portrait.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Mac OS X adds a folder to the save that shouldn't be there. Remove that from the save before creating the archive and that should fix the problem.
    thanks, I'll give that a try :-)
  • markgonzales0019markgonzales0019 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    Great tutorial - worked like a charm! This has allowed me access to my character's custom portrait post 8.3!

I do have one question though; has anyone had success using this method to change NPC portaits?

After transferring "IMOENL.bg1portrait" I find it selectable in the "customize" menu of my character, but the vanilla portrait isn't replaced. The file is 24bit and displays properly in game. I'm assuming the NPCs are not switching because the .bmp isn't saving to the Override folder?

Is there another way to transfer custom NPC portraits post 8.3?

Thanks for the help! So stoked to have at least my character looking the same cross platform!