Skip to content

What are the weapon proficiency groups in EE games?

I've checked both manuals for both games, I've checked the wikia, I've checked the gamebanshee, I've checked the playithardcore wiki and I've checked the GameFAQs guides.

No one lists the weapon groups. Proficiency bonuses? Sure. What weapons do they actually apply to? Nope. Closest I've got is gamebanshee's weapon lists, which groups weapons SOMEHOW, but I'm not 100% sure if it's by the in-game groups.

I know it's as easy as clicking "New Game" and going to the Proficiences part of character creation, except of course I'm stuck away from home with no game and no means of getting it.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The Enhanced Edition does away with the weapon groups, so each weapon type is its own proficiency, with the following exceptions:

- Scimitar, Wakizashi, and Ninja-to all use the same proficiency
    - Longbow and Composite Longbow use the same proficiency
    - All crossbows use "Crossbow"
  • ojthesimpsonojthesimpson Member Posts: 121
    does away? I thought they werent ever there to begin with?
    Does away with them in Baldur's Gate; Baldur's Gate II didn't have them in the first place, and the Enhanced Edition uses BGII's proficiency list.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Dee said:

The Enhanced Edition does away with the weapon groups, so each weapon type is its own proficiency, with the following exceptions:

- Scimitar, Wakizashi, and Ninja-to all use the same proficiency
    - Longbow and Composite Longbow use the same proficiency
    - All crossbows use "Crossbow"

Also:
    - Dagger and throwing dagger
    - Axe and throwing axe

Also worth remembering that a couple of magic items have peculiar weapon proficiencies like the Staff Spear +2 and Staff Mace +2 which use staff proficiency but act like a spear and mace respectively.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    Cool, thanks.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    Also flails/morningstar.
    Which doesn't make much sense. Despite being both spiked they should be quite different to learn how to use.

• HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Item Revisions and I think a couple other mods move morningstars to mace proficiency which makes a lot more sense.
    If it didn't mean completely altering them for existing saves, I'd want to make Scimitar its own proficiency and move wakizashi and ninja-to onto the Katana. Among other things, it would make all three of those weapon proficiencies more viable.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I believe Item Revisions does that as well. It's a good idea definitely. I think ninja-to went to short swords instead but I can't view the readme right now.