Skip to content

Feature Request: Make it so auto attack scripts don't disrupt a party member from using Turn Undead

thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
edited July 2015 in Feature Requests
This is for BG1EE and I'd presume also BG2EE.

Generally as a basic rule I have my player character and all my NPCs set with the Standard Attack script, which is basically an auto attack function so I don't have to command my party to switch targets all the time after they kill an enemy. Spellcasters are always given ranged weapons to use for this script so they stay out of harm's way when I'm playing, and the auto attack doesn't seem to interrupt or disrupt their spellcasting. Unless using a Thief sometimes, I basically use this single script for every character and manually do whatever else I want someone to do like use abilities or cast spells (having a script cast spells for me isn't my style, and can lead to risky maneuvers or wasted spells on weak enemies).

The issue I've had with the auto attack script is that when using a Cleric or Paladin for Turn Undead in my party, their Turn Undead action ends up getting interrupted by the script to have them auto attack so trying to use Turn Undead doesn't actually end up doing anything as they end up going to attack an enemy a moment later. While it's not exactly all that important from what I've played in BG1EE and not an ability one would miss much, it is an annoyance and would be helpful to still be able to use it in some situations like during some boss fights for example. I also assume more powerful undead enemies would be present in BG2EE (I haven't played Baldur's Gate 2 yet in any capacity), so having this ability stuck in a battle with this script and unable to be used in conjunction with it is a pain, and it'd be nice to be able to utilize both at the same time especially for good aligned parties which feature Paladins and Clerics a fair amount.

I'm not sure why auto attack seems to interrupt turning undead but seems to not halt or disrupt spellcasting (or to another extent, Bard songs I believe), but it is annoying and I'd like to be able to use it without having my Cleric or Paladin return to attacking with their weapon right away after trying to use it. It does sometimes interrupt different thieving abilities like stealth or detecting traps, but there are some useful Thief scripts for when you do need to use those abilities without having them attack on their own. I don't tend to use scripts for spellcasters and stuff just because I want to control how I use their spells and abilities without them using any on their own and not having to worry much about hotkeys or having an ability active much of the time.