Skip to content

He who laughs last ... probably didn't understand the punchline. But, laugh this one off!

FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
Hah! You all scoffed when I dualed Sarevok over to mage. Behold the end result!

Well, OK, this is my all evil party; I couldn't justify sticking Neera or Imoen or Jan in with this crew, and I wanted a second evil mage type, so Sarevok was drafted. Took a while, but it worked out in the end though.
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    What about going for black blade of disaster and enjoying how hard you gut your enemies?
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited July 2015
    Arunsun said:

What about going for black blade of disaster and enjoying how hard you gut your enemies?

I've looked at it but never actually used it in combat. I've usually been content to let my two Whirlwind tanks do most of the melee fighting. I have to confess I have never even used any of the weapons spells; Black blade, whazzisname's sword and the like. When I find something that works I tend to go with it. I probably should experiment more. Also, I don't know if he will reach that level, we're right at the end of Ch 9. Not sure how much more experience there is to earn.

Good Guys: MC, Keldorn and Jaheira have whirlwinds
    Bad Boyz: MC and Dorn. Sarevok will never have this, of course, but can cast improved haste on himself. With the gauntlets of specialization, this gives a decent APR with the upgraded Sword of Grief; he also has the silver sword from SoA for the occasional vorpal type effect, although that is a mere +3 weapon.

Sarevok was OK in combat even as a mage, since, unlike most mages, he actually had enough HP to make Tenser's Transfomation work; 312 after casting the spell. I only had him do that a couple of times, when things were looking sticky, but it was workable. Usually used him that way against the drow once all his summoning spells were cast, since their MR makes using direct damage spells chancy.

It did take a bit of work getting him to level 18 mage before Ch. 10. A couple of times I had him and MC farm fire giants and the like for experience, letting the others hang out in the pocket plane. Unfortunately, he doesn't appear at all in SoA, so you can't work him up gradually. If you want to dual him in ToB you have to do stuff like that.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I think one thing that helps is to plan for Sarevok at the start, and completely avoid Watcher's Keep until ToB. This also helps with an xp disparity - finally got round to beating SoA with one of my many PCs queuing through the game, and despite getting to only the maze level, we were closing on 5Mxp at start of ToB.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited July 2015

I think one thing that helps is to plan for Sarevok at the start, and completely avoid Watcher's Keep until ToB. This also helps with an xp disparity - finally got round to beating SoA with one of my many PCs queuing through the game, and despite getting to only the maze level, we were closing on 5Mxp at start of ToB.

Heh; I went through most of that in SoA. Who knew that the extra experience would come in handy for training up that bad boy later on?

GreenWarlock
    @Frdnwsm you already have enough experience. You are level 18, you can cast Black Blade of Disaster. Very best weapon in the game, I swear you should try it.
    JuliusBorisov
    You have to know the spell in order to cast it. We don't.
    You can buy it in Amkethran at your pal Lazarus Librarus.
    JuliusBorisov
    Odd, I didn't notice it. Have to try shopping with him again, although at this point a massive melee breaks out whenever we try to re-enter Amkethran. Balthazar seems to carry a grudge just because we trashed 100 or so of his monks and 30-40 mercs. Some guys can't take a joke.

Still, we've put an end to Sandy so he's next on the hit list in any event.