Skip to content

Solo HOF mode options

Hello all. I'm trying to do HOF mode with a solo character. It's a lot of fun. What character do you think is best suited for this?

I've found summons to be extremely helpful. Here are the options I've thought of:

Half elf FMC
Half elf FD
Half elf CR
Human Fighter 3 > Cleric (***** in Sling helps support your skeletons)
Swashbuckler 5 > Cleric
Gnome CT

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    You can add FMT to your list.

As for your question, I would say the FMC and FMT are best suited.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I find thieves overrated in IWD, but then again I haven't played it nearly as much as BG2.

Considering the fact that Grand Mastery adds a whole +1 APR in IWD, it might be a waste not to have it. That means you'd have to dual a fighter to get it, which begs the question of dual into what. Clerics are strong in IWD, but if you're solo I think that mages may just have the more important buffs. You have decent defensive options to tank with, decent summons, and most importantly the best offensive buff in Improved Haste.

So my choice would probably be a Berserker 9 -> Mage dual.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    IMHO, summons absolutely rule HOF mode. The problem with arcane summons is you need a scroll to learn them from. Making it to a respectable level before dual classing is going to make life very difficult.
    That's an argument for sure, however I find that summons are best earlier in the game when you don't have that much to work with. Once you start having the better abilities at your disposal, I find summons largely superfluous.

Though I suppose one argument would be that HoF is in general harder in the beginning, so it makes sense to focus on that.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Lord_Tansheron How would you pull off the solo dual, though? HoF mode requires good dmg potential, which a mage dual does not have before regaining abilities.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I'd have to go FMT simply because I hate not unlocking everything I see. Traps somewhat make up for cleric summons for me.
    FinneousPJ
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Wich level are you starting from?
    If you start from level 1, any mage type will be useless without the proper spell scrolls.
    Clerics, druids and sorcerers may be good choices, so:

A sorcerer can handle it, but you'll need to summon as soon as you can, and this means you HAVE TO pick level 3 Monster Summoning 1, and I'm not sure you'll be able to reach level 6 before fighting anything.

Other than that you'll need a multi F/C or F/D or C/R or a single class C or D.
    Maybe a single class fighter type can survive as well, but... it's not going to be an easy task.

Any other options is going to be a real PITA!!!

Things are different if you start from a higher level (with an already full spellbook).

I tried a trio:
    Berserker 9 dual to mage
    Multi C/F
    Sorcerer

It was a good choice.... but as always, I get bored of the HoF mode.
    You need too much time to kill any single monster.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    I made it pretty far with a FMC on my iPhone.

I got sick of the small screen (and it's a 6 plus).

I just got an iPad and it's running great. I can't figure out transferring saves, so I decided to start over.

The Fighter 3 dual Cleric is nice, and I think I might have a chance at turning undead with him (I had no chance with the FMC). With DuHM, locks aren't a problem.

The Swashbuckler 5 dual Cleric is nice too, as he can kind of fight, and can handle pick pocketing and locks/traps as well.

The FMC could really do it all. I rarely used the M side though, except to summon or throw up a mirror image, and then put armor back on. The familiar helped, because the ferret is a decent pick pocket.

I was thinking of trying a Druid or Fighter/Druid, but I think the Cleric summons might be better.

@Lord_Tansheron How would you pull off the solo dual, though? HoF mode requires good dmg potential, which a mage dual does not have before regaining abilities.

That is also a consideration for sure. I imagine it would be somewhat tedious to get through early levels, but with a lot of kiting it's just a matter of patience. Solo with HoF xp you'll get into usable levels quickly, and you should have at least some sort of summon once you get to Kuldahar iirc.

It's a world of trade-offs. You'd have an easier time leveling early on with a different combination, but trade off late-game power.

On the other hand, you do have the option of TWO Long Sword of Action+4, meaning you could dual-wield those and make up the lost APR with a F/M/T or F/M. As I mentioned, my experience in IWD is nowhere near BG2, it's very possible something else entirely is a better option.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I'd recommend FMT or FMC too.

Runner ups go to Druid and Sorcerer.
    RAM021