Skip to content

Katana one handed only.

MaxxximusMaxxximus Member Posts: 322
I'm suggesting, to make katanas one handed only, without possibility to equip shield, another weapon, or anything else in "free hand", it will be a unique wielding style for such powerful sword as katana, and it will decrease "dual wielding power combinations" (no more Celestial Fury + Dak'kon's Zerth Blade for fighter\mage) :relieved:

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Maxxximus said:

I'm suggesting, to make katanas one handed only, without possibility to equip shield, another weapon, or anything else in "free hand", it will be a unique wielding style for such powerful sword as katana, and it will decrease "dual wielding power combinations" (no more Celestial Fury + Dak'kon's Zerth Blade for fighter\mage) :relieved:

I could go with this but I think dual wielding a katana and wakizashi is very thematic for a samurai character.
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    Actually, katanas are supposed to be two-handed. I learned that the D&D sword terminology is very nonsensical. Now I understand that they weren't obliged to be historically accurate in a fantasy setting, but still.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    This seems more like a restriction you should implement yourself rather than subjecting everybody to your playstyle. Certain class/weapon/spell combinations are very powerful but I don't think they should be nerfed because some people think they are too powerful.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    For me Valygar isn't complete unless he's dual wielding katanas. :)
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    The dumb proficiency system doesn't help. Spend 13 slots to GM longsword, GM Dagger and TWF to be able to fight in a more realistic fashion or spend 8 slots to GM Longsword, TWF and duel wield longswords like the dirty munchkin you are.

It's no contest really. Munchkin wins every time.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I can virtually guarantee this won't be implemented officially. But I'm fairly certain I've seen a mod or two that does exactly this.
  • MaxxximusMaxxximus Member Posts: 322
    edited August 2015
    Dee said:

I can virtually guarantee this won't be implemented officially. But I'm fairly certain I've seen a mod or two that does exactly this.

predictably :cry:
    Can any1 tell me mod name?

This seems more like a restriction you should implement yourself rather than subjecting everybody to your playstyle. Certain class/weapon/spell combinations are very powerful but I don't think they should be nerfed because some people think they are too powerful.

That's not about my playstyle and i don't want nerf something because it's op, I like katanas, my statement is pretty clear
    katana is definitely 2h weapon but devs don't want to make it 2h or reduce dmg ( use mods and...) ok let's find compromise, we left everything 1h 1-10 etc.. and make katana unique weapon(not an obvious mistake and without significant nerfs) by creating unique one hand wield style for it.
    but again who cares after @Dee post thread can be closed. Thanks every1 for sharing your thoughts
    Post edited by Maxxximus on
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    edited August 2015
    Maxxximus said:

Dee said:

predictably :cry:
    Can any1 tell me mod name?
    Item Revisions (on the Gibberlings3 site) has the following component:
    Dual Wielding Changes for Light and Heavy Weapons (*)
    This component alters the penalties for dual-wielding by assigning off-hand THAC0 bonuses and penalties to all weapons based on their size/weight. Daggers, short swords, wakizashis, ninja-tos, and clubs are considered light and give a +1 bonus to off-hand THAC0. Bastard swords, flails, and katanas are considered heavy and give a -1 penalty to off-hand THAC0. All other melee weapons are classified as medium and have no bonuses or penalties.
    I really like it.
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    I think a minimum Strength and Two-Weapon Style requirement would make more sense than a nerf. Possibly even a weapon skill requirement for certain weapons that require a lot of skill to use properly. Then at least people would think about what weapons they'd want to choose for dual wielding, if they can have anything lower than 18 Strength and still dual wield what they want, and deciding if they'd want to put points into weapons that couldn't be dual wielded until you had a full 3 points in Two-Weapon Style or some other skill requirement. Someone who's strong enough and skilled enough shouldn't be nerfed, as it at least gives you reasons and incentive to invest stat points and skills in certain areas or be a certain class.
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    I agree with some of the other posters here; I think what you are after is more of a mod than a developer redesign.

Also, I think you may have your oriental weapons slightly mixed up. I'm no expert so feel free to correct here people! A katana is a weapon that can be comfortably wielded in one hand, however the grip of the sword had room for two hands. When paired with a "companion" sword (I.e. Wakizashi) it was referred to as a daishō (dai meaning long, shō meaning short and therefore using a long and short short at the same time).

Maybe you are thinking of an ōdachi (essentially a great sword).

Again, I'm no expert on swords so take this with a grain of salt. Maybe we could ask some modders for some more exotic items like ōdachi, sai etc...
    Noobacca said:

I agree with some of the other posters here; I think what you are after is more of a mod than a developer redesign.

Also, I think you may have your oriental weapons slightly mixed up. I'm no expert so feel free to correct here people! A katana is a weapon that can be comfortably wielded in one hand, however the grip of the sword had room for two hands. When paired with a "companion" sword (I.e. Wakizashi) it was referred to as a daishō (dai meaning long, shō meaning short and therefore using a long and short short at the same time).

Maybe you are thinking of an ōdachi (essentially a great sword).

Again, I'm no expert on swords so take this with a grain of salt. Maybe we could ask some modders for some more exotic items like ōdachi, sai etc...

It's too powerful for 1h weapon and definitely when u dual wield 2 katanas so i suggested to keep this power but limit it in cool and unique way buy making it one handed only, without possibility to equip shield, another weapon, or anything else in "free hand". Thats all.
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    Maxxximus said:

It's too powerful for 1h weapon and definitely when u dual wield 2 katanas so i suggested to keep this power but limit it in cool and unique way buy making it one handed only, without possibility to equip shield, another weapon, or anything else in "free hand". Thats all.

Too powerful? How many magic katanas are there in the game? Specifically +3 or better? I wouldn't be able to say off the top of my head but I'd say it's less than long swords. The highest enchanted katana is a +4 and many players would argue that it isn't nearly as powerful as other weapons.

Just because a character is able to dual wield two 1d10 weapons at once doesn't mean that the weapons are over powered. There are plenty of other dual wielding combos that would give more damage per round than two katanas.

Again, what you are arguing for is a personal preference. If you want to limit characters to only wielding katanas with one hand then simply don't wear a shield, dual wield a second weapon or do anything else with the "free hand".
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    @subtledoctor Leonardo, but I guess he's a ninja, not a samurai.

Yeah I've never heard of a samurai wielding 2 katanas at once. Not even Tarantino tried that.

But as far as modding, I don't think it's possible to mod a weapon such that it doesn't allow another weapon in the shield slot...

Maybe some1 from high ranking devs would like this idea and there will be new opcode... :wink:
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819

A teenage ninja. I rest my case.

Boom! Nailed it. :tongue:

And he's a turtle. They can do stuff :smile:
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Historically Katana are 2hded. Their 2nd sword, the wakizashi was meant for use in close quarters and as a backup weapon, since a Samurai could not be stripped of his wakizashi but could be asked to leave his katana when visiting a noble.

Most fighting styles involving 1hded katana do so as a single opening strike before resuming with 2hded style.

Musashi did create a school based around dual-wielding, but it was a mostly defensive school that attacked with one hand and defended with the other, alternating depending on which side he needed to attack from.

and as far as I recall, the katana and bastard swords in BG are using their 2hd damage instead of their 1hd damage (unlike most weapons Katana and Bastard swords, and a few others, can actually gain benefit from being used as a 2hd handed weapon in the form of slightly increased damage as a built-in feature of the weapon).

They deal damage just like a longsword when wielded one handed, but have different characteristics (speed, weight, strength requirement), but they deal different damages when used with 2hds. the Katana has a higher top damage when used with 2hds while the Bastard Sword has a higher minimum damage (relative to a longsword).
    edited August 2015
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582

Historically Katana are 2hded. Their 2nd sword, the wakizashi was meant for use in close quarters and as a backup weapon, since a Samurai could not be stripped of his wakizashi but could be asked to leave his katana when visiting a noble.

Most fighting styles involving 1hded katana do so as a single opening strike before resuming with 2hded style.

Musashi did create a school based around dual-wielding, but it was a mostly defensive school that attacked with one hand and defended with the other, alternating depending on which side he needed to attack from.

and as far as I recall, the katana and bastard swords in BG are using their 2hd damage instead of their 1hd damage (unlike most weapons Katana and Bastard swords, and a few others, can actually gain benefit from being used as a 2hd handed weapon in the form of slightly increased damage as a built-in feature of the weapon).

They deal damage just like a longsword when wielded one handed, but have different characteristics (speed, weight, strength requirement), but they deal different damages when used with 2hds. the Katana has a higher top damage when used with 2hds while the Bastard Sword has a higher minimum damage (relative to a longsword).

I think that this actually can be modded.

the katana and bastard swords in BG are using their 2hd damage instead of their 1hd damage

Yes; and spears are doing their 1-hand damage at 1d6, even though they are clearly 2-handed "long spears," which should do 1d8+1 damage per the Complete Fighter's Handbook.

Sigh.
    Are there one handed spear animations in the game? If so, spear switching can be modded as well, I'm pretty sure
    edited September 2015
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,178
    Not from me:) but I'd like to see such animation.