Skip to content

Another of my crazy late-night ideas - the Merlin run

Hey, I was just considering making a run where I start a character in ToB, then start that same character idea (with whatever stats I can roll and exactly 89,000 xp) in SoA, and then, if I'm still having fun, start that same character finally in BG1 (with whatever stats I can roll), and only six months or so from now, finally taking that character through SoD.

This idea is inspired by two things I was just thinking about in my crazy, weird mind.

The first is that I love the old games Might and Magic 6-8, and I was just considering starting a new character idea in 8, for no other reason than that I've played 6 and 7 to death, and I haven't played 8 in a long time, so starting a new character in 8 might help me stay excited about the new character concept long enough to actually finish at least one game in the series before I lose interest. I know 6 and 7 so well, I can almost play them in my sleep, which makes me highly likely to succumb to restartitis a few times, and then abandon any game I start long before finishing.

The second is the lore of the Arthurian character Merlin. He is explained in the lore of that world as always having perfect omniscience of what is going on, what is happening, and what will happen, because he lives "backwards through time." That is, he is imagined as having had his consciousness born into the body of an about-to-die old man, and then living his life backwards until he "dies" by returning to the womb.

I've always wondered what that kind of existence might be like - I don't think we can really imagine it.

But, I had an idea about a facsimile of that using the BG Trilogy. Just as I've spent the most time in Might and Magic on 6, almost but not as much time on 7, and only once ever finished 8, I've spent the most time in BG on 1, almost but not as much time on 2, and only once ever finished ToB.

So, in my nightly alcohol-induced insanity, I'm thinking that it might actually be kind of fun, as well as a potential cure for restartitis, to just start a new character in ToB, and if that's fun, start the same character idea in SoA, and if that's fun (enough for me to finish the game), start the same character idea in BG1, and then, if that's still fun, start that same character, finally, in SoD.

SoD is only out of order in this insane delusion of mine because it doesn't exist in playable form yet, not until November or December of 2015 at the earliest.

When I eventually wake up in my right mind, I'll enjoy thinking about whether this idea is still as appealing, and/or makes as much sense. In the meantime, since I've put myself out here, I'd be interested in what anyone else thinks. ;)

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    It might be fun, indeed!

I don't know if I could do that, since I'm addicted to raising my characters from level 1 and progressing throughout the trilogy, but the idea is quite interesting and , well, I like the idea of playing BG1 as if it were a flashback .
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    It's an interesting concept that, from a roleplaying perspective, could deal with the problem of 'pre-knowledge' to a certain extent. Scratching through the dusty recesses of my mind I seem to remember that "The Once and Future King" by T. H. White was an excellent book on the subject.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Sounds cool enough. You should do it.