Skip to content

The Way Armor Looks!!!

cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I believe that someone already brought this up in a separate thread, but I do not believe anybody had a definitive answer. What I would like to know is what will the armor that your character/party is wearing look like? In the original Baldur's Gate a medium shield was very simple looking. However, in BG2 a medium shield looked like some weird dragon killer shield. Also, helmets looked strange as well. I do hope that, while enhancing the game, the creators kept the old style of the way things looked. To me it was much cooler. More simple and more realistic.

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    With the implementation of the 1pp graphical mods into BG:EE, shields will most likely be closer to the original BG1 variety, though it remains to be seen how much of 1pp's optional nature will be preserved.
  • cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
    Well if they leave the armor the way it looked in the original ill be happy as a clam.
  • beerflavourbeerflavour Member Posts: 117
    edited September 2012
    I wish one could combine character models and armors. For example I like the BG2 human models better than the BG1 human models. On the other hand I prefer Elves and Half-Elves models from BG1 over BG2. Although the tower shield animation of BG2 looks a tad better than in BG1. Bucklers, small and mdium Shield designs from BG1 are kind of better than those from BG2. I could go on an on...
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I think the main thing for me is that I much prefer the shield sprites from BG1 to the BG2 shields.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Hope they keep it consistent, so that BG:EE does its best to look like the original BG, and BG2:EE looks like BG2 (even if people keep dissing them shields).
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    The BG2 shields looked like pure nonsense to me, with the exception of the large shield. But at the same time, I also loved the Centurion-like tower shield in BG1. With a full plate mail and a shovel helmets (sadly not present in BG1, BUT present in BG2) and a short sword, it made me feel super Roman!
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    i can imagine that the models and armour+ shields will probably be the same as Bg2.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    The armor unfortunately will look like BG2.

There is a request running to allow the use of the BG1 sprites for those who want them ( and sprites means how your armor will look). We have no idea what will happen about that.

We might have some more news soon. Or not :p
    @mornmagor That is disappointing. Like I said in another thread: I love the idea of enhancing Baldur's Gate, however I do not like the idea of changing it. Clearly there are many fans who desire to have the original sprites for the armor. Certainly you could make this an option in the menu???

Also not to be insulting but how do you know this information for sure?
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315

@mornmagor That is disappointing. Like I said in another thread: I love the idea of enhancing Baldur's Gate, however I do not like the idea of changing it. Clearly there are many fans who desire to have the original sprites for the armor. Certainly you could make this an option in the menu???

Also not to be insulting but how do you know this information for sure?

for sure is kinda hard to say, but the thing is that EE will use the options available for BG2, wich include 2 weapons fighting from what i understood and apparentelly BG1 sprite didnt show correctelly 2 weapons fight
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    They are using the Throne of Bhaal engine, and said the character models will be like BG2 in their posts in this forum here and there.

As for the request to use BG1 sprites, it's been running since the early days of the forum.

The only thing we don't know about it is about how the engine works, meaning does it auto upscale the graphics to high resolutions or not? If it auto upscales them, then putting the BG1 sprites for those who want them is no problem, if it doesn't, then the developpers need to do extra work i guess.

The reason BG2 models are used by default, is that BG1 animations do not support dual wielding.
    I'm not trying to sound arrogant, because honestly I have no idea how much work is required to do anything with this game. But it sounds like a lot of Original content is being sacrificed just so we can dual wield.

I'm assuming someone would have tried to test the upscale theory by now?
    I also know very little about the difference between the engines. Which brings me back to one of my original suggestions. Could there be a possibility of a patch that would allow users the option in the menu to choose which sprite they use. I'm assuming that Beamdog/Overhaul will be sending regular patches/upgrades for the game after they release it?
    im sorry i'm sure the team would have offered the OG sprites if they could. And i'm sure i'm one of the 100 fans that has already cried about this issue. I just honestly really didn't care for the sprites from BG2. I was really hoping for an experience as close to the old game as possible. You can't please them all.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Shin said:

With the implementation of the 1pp graphical mods into BG:EE, shields will most likely be closer to the original BG1 variety, though it remains to be seen how much of 1pp's optional nature will be preserved.

That's a relief to hear.
    @quartz yes hopefully. that is a relief though.
  • DemossDemoss Member Posts: 52
    If the mod that restores BG1 animations can be made to work with EE, i do not mind at all sacrificing dual wielding (as no NPC's will, shouldn't be too hard to avoid the crash) well at for a single player run. Best to leave it as a mod until the animations can be fixed to include dual wielding, that way it wont urk anyone who wants to. I should probably request this at Spellhold Studios..
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @nathan any info you can give us about this that isn't a company secret?