Skip to content

Haer'Dalis or Hexxat

Current party is Berserker 9> Mage, Korgan, Edwin, Jan, Dorn.
Never really used any of them before for an entire run, would like some opinions.
I realize Jan already got the thieving skills covered but oh well, more traps and backstabs are always nice and I prefer to have him ranged at all times, Hexxat could go for a more melee thief route.

Comments

• billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    It sounds like you want Hexxat. Haer'Dalis is by default more powerful and versatile due to spells. Pick what's more fun for you.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    I would take them both and drop Jan. Hexxat doesn't really work well as a melee, even if her stats are epic. Her AC and HP are poor, and there's really no good way to improve those. (potion-reliance is never good in my books) She's best used as a ranged combatant, but that strength makes her a pretty good backstabber as well. No lingering in melee though, as I said earlier.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited August 2015
    Haer'Dalis is stronger, funnier, more likable and by far the more interesting character. Hexxat has some quests and extra micro management with her cloak. If you haven't done Haxxat quest line before, take her for the extra content, otherwise Haer'Dalis is just better.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited August 2015

Haer'Dalis is stronger, funnier, more likable and by far the more interesting character. Hexxat has some quests and extra micro management with her cloak. If you haven't done Haxxat quest line before, take her for the extra content, otherwise Haer'Dalis is just better.

Pretty much this. Haer'Dalis is more powerful and he comes with an awesome quest and interesting dialogue.

Jan -> Haer'Dalis -> ???? -> Hexxat.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Hexxat is pretty good with slings.

Right now I have a lvl 28 Hexxat with 1 pip in slings, The Dale Protector (+2 THACO) and the Pale Green Ioun Stone (+1 THACO). She also has the sling of Everard.

So she has a -1 THACO and hits for 11-14 damage. Putting that Str20 to good use.

Furthermore, as a pure class thief she is pretty useful, given her plethora of normal traps and spike traps.

Sure, Haer'Dalis gets spells. But Hexxat sets traps! Add in her immortality and ability to use scrolls, and she's a really versatile character who makes a decent ranged fighter.
    edited August 2015
    Grum said:

Hexxat is pretty good with slings.

Right now I have a lvl 28 Hexxat with 1 pip in slings, The Dale Protector (+2 THACO) and the Pale Green Ioun Stone (+1 THACO). She also has the sling of Everard.

So she has a -1 THACO and hits for 11-14 damage. Putting that Str20 to good use.

Furthermore, as a pure class thief she is pretty useful, given her plethora of normal traps and spike traps.

Sure, Haer'Dalis gets spells. But Hexxat sets traps! Add in her immortality and ability to use scrolls, and she's a really versatile character who makes a decent ranged fighter.

Dual wielding Haer'Dalis will be dealing much more damage than Hexxat while having better defenses as well. The only thing he loses out on are certain thief skills and traps. It all comes down to Blades being better than Rogues for combat.

Mirror image
    Stoneskin
    Fireshield
    Protection from magic and normal weapons
    Tensers Transformation
    Improved Invisibility
    Blur

Awesome tank with good damage.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Aye, he can be a beast. Though as a counter point...

Hexxat brings new quests.
    Hexxat has plenty of undead immunities. Throw on the cloak of mirroring, and she is actually immune to anything beholders can throw at her. Except elder orbs though...who can cast imprisonment. But normal beholders and gauths? Can't touch her.

My point...Haer'Dalis is tanky. He's cutty. He slices, dices and looks good doing it. He can do it all!

But Hexxat brings in new quests, is a great thief, sets traps, and as far as vanilla thieves goes, she doesn't completely suck in combat.

Oh...and she's immortal. Which is a nice perk for someone who only 'doesn't suck' in combat.
    edited August 2015
    Grum said:

Hexxat has plenty of undead immunities. Throw on the cloak of mirroring, and she is actually immune to anything beholders can throw at her. Except elder orbs though...who can cast imprisonment. But normal beholders and gauths? Can't touch her.

My point...Haer'Dalis is tanky. He's cutty. He slices, dices and looks good doing it. He can do it all!

But Hexxat brings in new quests, is a great thief, sets traps, and as far as vanilla thieves goes, she doesn't completely suck in combat.

Oh...and she's immortal. Which is a nice perk for someone who only 'doesn't suck' in combat.

Can't argue with that, It really does come down to personal taste.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Neither...?

Forget those losers and pick up a cleric or a druid. You're lacking in the divine magic department.
    Neither...?

Forget those losers and pick up a cleric or a druid. You're lacking in the divine magic department.
    Neither...?

• FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    It can be useful to have 2 thieves, one for stealth and one behind with detect traps. With yourself, Edwin and Jan you already have plenty of magic so I would go with Hexxat. Since you have no cleric, an immortal that regenerates is a good investment.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    I would reconsider this decision and discard them entirely. Pick up Viconia.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Took Hexxat once and she was fine... Quest were interesting enough and she never felt a burden... Buuuuut, I'm not sure if I'd take her again...

Haer'Dalis, on the other hand is great.

(But Jan beats both)
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Grum said:

Haer'Dalis gets traps, the most important traps, timestop and spike traps. Oh and improved bard song.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Haerdalis gets the HLA Bard song, that automatically makes him a top pick. If we are not talking about Song, i would pick the thief. Thieves are useful and haerdralis is a wannabe mage multiclass of which you already have enough.
  • JaskoJasko Member Posts: 31
    If you use her carefully like one would a pure kensai, I don't see why she couldn't melee. Slings seem a good choice also, as mentioned. Just make sure she's the one with the boots of speed and you can backstab and melee or switch to ranged... or just have her hide somewhere for more backstabs. Add lum's machine +1 dex for more ac, unless you have another char like a dwarf frontliner with Dex 17.
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    Hexxat
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited August 2015
    You'd be better off with one of the clerics or druids given your party make-up. Probably Cernd, Jaheira or Viconia.