Skip to content

Titania: the infamous Solo Fighter/Mage (advice?)

I have heard too much about this MC build and therefore I'm thinking of giving it a go.

These are the conditions/limitations I will be setting for my main CHAR:
1) Solo (except during NPC sidequests) till TOB
2) Level cap off
3) SCS mod
4) insane difficulty at the start? (not sure if I can survive in the beginning)
5) Minimal Reload (only upon death)
6) Who she is: A Chaotic evil Elven female Fighter/Mage.
7) Personal fetish: to inflict a slow and torturous death on her adversaries

Biography: Titania is a contemptible person even during her early years as a kid in Candlekeep. Despite her foster father's continual and patient teachings, Titania never fails to rebut and rebel against every single person she meets. Her depraved nature also extends to her abject treatment of all things living. Once, she was caught by Gorion torturing a poor rabbit with a peculiar flesh-eating poison in one of the mangy storehouses near the Candlekeep Inn. When confronted, she simply laughs and scuttles away. Titania loves duelling with all kinds of weapons. On sunny days, one never fails to see her out on an open grass patch wielding her dagger and long sword, or sometimes even an axe, with both hands. Although her passion lies in swordsmanship, she has an innate affinity to magic - an inherited trait from her Elven mother whom she never knew and vehemently detests. As a result, she abhors magic users especially and has a love-hate relationship with Gorion whose only redemptive virtue was being her only closest kin. When facing her enemies, Titania prefers using crafty stratagems such as a weapon dipped with fatal poison to slightly harm them so that she can relish seeing them whimper agonisingly and suffer a slow and painful death. When she chooses to use her magic, she only uses it for the sole purpose of furthering her sadistic gratification. Her greatest pleasure comes from delivering the greatest agony to any living creature affiliated to magic. One does not need to speculate the true motive behind her sudden interest in axe-wielding after she becomes privy of the existence of a certain weapon found in the chilling Durlag's Tower.

I hope you guys enjoy my brief description of my intended main CHAR. I have a few questions though regarding my character and build as I have never done a solo run before.

1) As a solo character who is not a thief, how do you guys deal with traps, especially in Durlag's Tower?
2) I am thinking of slaying Drizz't (because you know Drizz't uses magic <-- excuse) for his armour. If i'm not mistaken, his armour allows for casting of magic right?
3) I will be putting a few pips into dagger and axe (for the dagger of venom and Bala's axe) at the start and slowly working towards putting a few more into katanas/scimitars in the future. Any advice on this?
4) Any more details I should look into or be aware of?

Thank you! :))

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited August 2015
    I wouldn't remove the XP cap, playing solo you'll end up with around 1 200 000 experience in BG1 if you do all the side quests. That's a massive boost in BG2 and will make the game feel strange and remove most of the challenge. It also makes BG1 a lot easier as you'll be able to reach high levels in both classes, while with XP cap on you'll have to sacrifice a few spells and proficiency.

1.) Traps aren't a problem most of the time as with spells and items you can get immune to the effects (except a few rare instant death traps, like getting crushed between walls, just ignore those). Stoneskin and mirror image remove any physical damage from traps, you can cast spells to gain resistance from the elemental damages, protection from lightning will prevent you from dying to a lightning bolt striking you 10 times while in a hallway. You just need to know what traps to expect and then prepare accordingly.

2.) Drizzt armor does not allow spell casting. Either get one of the archmage robes and buff up with blur and improved invisibility for a high AC while casting spells, or just buff up first and then equip your plate mail.

3.) Daggers are awesome, the dagger of Venom is the best weapon in BG1 and the throwing daggers in BG2 are amazing because of the 2d4 base damage. Not worth going for axes and you should pick something else. Longswords, hammers and flails are a good alternative.

4.) Remember to pick Find Familiar as one of your starter spells, cast it once and then remove it from your spellbook. Keep the familiar in your inventory for the HP boost. Sleep is the most powerful spell in BG1 and should be what you'll put most of your level 1 spells on. Both Blur and Improved Invisibility will give you an AC bonus, if i remember right they give +3 AC each and some bonus to saving throws.
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    SionIV said:

I wouldn't remove the XP cap, playing solo you'll end up with around 1 200 000 experience in BG1 if you do all the side quests. That's a massive boost in BG2 and will make the game feel strange and remove most of the challenge. It also makes BG1 a lot easier as you'll be able to reach high levels in both classes, while with XP cap on you'll have to sacrifice a few spells and proficiency.

The reason I am thinking of removing the XP cap is because I wanna mimic some of the enemies who are way higher level than I am when I meet them, such as spell casters who usually have access to spells way above our levels. Perhaps because I am soloing I can afford to be slightly overpowered as an individual? (and also because I will be playing SCS mod and insane difficulty)
    SionIV said:

1.) Traps aren't a problem most of the time as with spells and items you can get immune to the effects (except a few rare instant death traps, like getting crushed between walls, just ignore those). Stoneskin and mirror image remove any physical damage from traps, you can cast spells to gain resistance from the elemental damages, protection from lightning will prevent you from dying to a lightning bolt striking you 10 times while in a hallway. You just need to know what traps to expect and then prepare accordingly.

Problem with this is that if I am going for minimal or no reload such traps might kill me even before I find out what to expect, especially in Durlag's Tower.
    SionIV said:

3.) Daggers are awesome, the dagger of Venom is the best weapon in BG1 and the throwing daggers in BG2 are amazing because of the 2d4 base damage. Not worth going for axes and you should pick something else. Longswords, hammers and flails are a good alternative.

I was thinking of wielding Bala's axe (aka Wizard Slayer) because of my character's inherent hatred for wizards. So it's not worth putting even 1 pip into axes?
    SionIV said:

4.) Remember to pick Find Familiar as one of your starter spells, cast it once and then remove it from your spellbook. Keep the familiar in your inventory for the HP boost. Sleep is the most powerful spell in BG1 and should be what you'll put most of your level 1 spells on. Both Blur and Improved Invisibility will give you an AC bonus, if i remember right they give +3 AC each and some bonus to saving throws.

Got it, thanks! :)
    I still wouldn't remove the XP cap, as it makes a huge difference in BG1 and removes most of the early challenge in BG2. It's up to you though, but the challenge has been done with the XP cap on, even with SCS and no reload, so it's possible :smile:

If you're going to do a no-reload or minimal-reload then the only way to work around the traps is meta knowledge of the game and where they are, or you will eventually die, it's not that difficult in BG1 as most traps aren't lethal, but in BG2 you'll see a few reload screens unless you know where they are. So either use your knowledge of the traps, prepare to load a few times, or run two games with one as a normal game that you explore the area first with, and then when you know the traps, what they do and their location, you can clear the area on your no-reload save.

Nothing wrong with putting 1 pip into axes at all, there just aren't that many good ones. But it could be a wise thing to do as you'll be able to pick up an elemental axe in BG2 pretty early that will solve your troll problems, so go for it :smiley:
    SionIV said:

2.) Drizzt armor does not allow spell casting. Either get one of the archmage robes and buff up with blur and improved invisibility for a high AC while casting spells, or just buff up first and then equip your plate mail.

Are you sure Drizzt's armour does not allow spell casting? Because I vividly remember him casting dire charm (or domination) and a host of other spells such as dispel/remove magic on my party when I murdered him during my previous games. Or is Drizzt so obscenely powerful he can negate his armour's restriction? :neutral:

Alternatively, regarding armour, there is also an Elven Chain Mail which can be obtained from a cleric in the fight against Simmeon. Is that preferable over the archmage robe?

johntyl said:

SionIV said:

Are you sure Drizzt's armour does not allow spell casting? Because I vividly remember him casting dire charm (or domination) and a host of other spells such as dispel/remove magic on my party when I murdered him during my previous games. Or is Drizzt so obscenely powerful he can negate his armour's restriction? :neutral:

Alternatively, regarding armour, there is also an Elven Chain Mail which can be obtained from a cleric in the fight against Simmeon. Is that preferable over the archmage robe?

I'm 99% sure that you can't cast spells while you have it equipped, it doesn't mention it in the item description either. Both the Elven chain and Robe of Archmage have armor class 5, but the robe have bonuses while the chain doesn't. If you play a certain alignment you'll be able to pick up a robe from the very beginning, otherwise you'll have to wait a bit to get one.

SionIV said:

I'm 99% sure that you can't cast spells while you have it equipped, it doesn't mention it in the item description either. Both the Elven chain and Robe of Archmage have armor class 5, but the robe have bonuses while the chain doesn't. If you play a certain alignment you'll be able to pick up a robe from the very beginning, otherwise you'll have to wait a bit to get one.

This is what I got from Baldur's Gate Wiki:

"This is the armor of Drizzt. It is one of the best sets of armor in the game as, despite being as strong as Full Plate Mail, it is lighter than any other armor available. The armor is navy blue when worn. As it is technically Chain Mail Armor, it is unquestionably the best armor for Bards."

If Bards can wear this armour and still cast spells, does it mean Fighter/Mage will be able too?
    Okay never mind, I just realised Bards and Mages work differently :open_mouth:
    Nowhere in that quote does it say that you can cast spells, what it does say is that this is the armor that grants you the best possible AC on a bard :smile:
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Tips? Be a Fighter/Mage/Thief ;)
    SionIV said:

Nowhere in that quote does it say that you can cast spells, what it does say is that this is the armor that grants you the best possible AC on a bard :smile:

Ah, I see what you did there :dizzy:
    decado said:

Tips? Be a Fighter/Mage/Thief ;)

Did thought of that, but I would probably leave that for another time :)
    johntyl said:

SionIV said:

I apologize, i really wish you could cast spells while having it equipped, but I'm almost 100% positive that isn't possible :kissing_heart:
    SionIV said:

johntyl said:

SionIV said:

I apologize, i really wish you could cast spells while having it equipped, but I'm almost 100% positive that isn't possible :kissing_heart:
    It's alright. It just means that Drizzt was fighting my party without equipping his armour and was still breezing through it (I only managed to kill him cheesily), that pompous arse!!!
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    If you're removing the XP cap might as well go full F/M/T. No worries about the traps and plenty of extra shenanigans possible.

If you're removing the XP cap might as well go full F/M/T. No worries about the traps and plenty of extra shenanigans possible.

I've been convinced by @SionIV that removing the XP cap might be too overwhelming... for my enemies :smiley:
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I'd choose Gnome Fighter/Illusionist over an elf.
    - shorty saves will keep you alive
    - 19 base int will help scribe scrolls on no reload
    - +1 spell per level means you can often cast just as many spells as a pure Mage
    Wowo said:

- +1 spell per level means you can often cast just as many spells as a pure Mage

What about Elf's natural resistance to sleep and charm spells? Wouldn't those spells be especially fatal when you play solo?
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    johntyl said:

Wowo said:

What about Elf's natural resistance to sleep and charm spells? Wouldn't those spells be especially fatal when you play solo?
    It doesn't come into play that often. I think the Sirens are about the only time in BG, whereas shorty saves come into play all the time. Elves are definitely better if you want to do longbows or longswords, plus being able to hit 19 dex is helpful for any ranged weapon. A 19 Dex elf with 2 pips in longbows is very formidable even at level 1. So there are trade offs vs gnomes, so if you want to do elf or even half elf for flavor, I wouldn't stress about it.

There are some nice scimitars in BG1, especially the one you can actually use when you kill Drizzt, so it might be worth going with them earlier over axes. A robe of the archmagi is the best piece of armor you can wear, as good as the elven chain, but gives some extra bonuses, plus you have to do Dorn's quests to get the Elven chain.

I'd agree that F/M/T is the way to go if you want to play without the xp cap on. You can always mitigate the extra XP somewhat by just not being a completionist. Maybe skip werewolf island or durlag's tower or some of the quests around Baldur's Gate. The thief aspect adds a nice twist of using (improved) invisibility and backstabbing, with actually being able to land the hit due to the fighter thaco. You can even do that one after a fight's started, and it doesn't require putting points into hide/move silently. Traps and luring enemies to them are also a lot of fun when you're solo. But it's really up to you, as johntyl said mirror image and stoneskin will at least keep you alive around traps (but might require some rest abuse), and you can use knock to open up chests. If you really just want to be that spellsword without the thief aspect, go for it.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2015
    i would go for fmt and remove the cap reason being fmt is already 3 classes in one so you will end up with twice the exp in each which is about 1-2 levels more, not a big deal, especially for bg2.

uncapped solo 1200k xp 9/11/12
    capped 3ppl party 8/9/10

1 thaco difference, no new mage spell tier, thief is there just for fun anyway. Its basically the same char with a bit more health and utility.
    edited August 2015
    Roller12 said:

i would go for fmt and remove the cap reason being fmt is already 3 classes in one so you will end up with twice the exp in each which is about 1-2 levels more, not a big deal, especially for bg2.

uncapped solo 1200k xp 9/11/12
    capped 3ppl party 8/9/10

1 thaco difference, no new mage spell tier, thief is there just for fun anyway. Its basically the same char with a bit more health and utility.

We're not talking about 1-2 levels in each more.

Fighter : 3 levels (6-9)
    Mage : 5 levels (6-11)
    Rogue : 4 levels (7-11)

A F/M/T with the XP cap on can reach 6/6/7, without it (1 200 000 experience) you'll be 9/11/11 if you play solo. That is a HUGE difference in BG1.
    edited August 2015
    SionIV said:

A F/M/T with the XP cap on can reach

Its only 1-2 levels at best. You should compare it to a party, not to a capped fmt. With an uncapped fmt there will be NO new spells NO overwhelming thac0 boost , NO new thieving mastery. The total power level will stay about the same there will obviously be a difference to a capped fmt but thats because solo is 6x times less than a full party, and an uncapped ftm is twice as much, but it still is 2 times less than a full party. And in bg2 a solo char will reach 8million very quick so none of that even matters.
    edited August 2015
    Roller12 said:

SionIV said:

A F/M/T with the XP cap on can reach

Its only 1-2 levels at best. You should compare it to a party, not to a capped fmt. With an uncapped fmt there will be NO new spells NO overwhelming thac0 boost , NO new thieving mastery. The total power level will stay about the same there will obviously be a difference to a capped fmt but thats because solo is 6x times less than a full party, and an uncapped ftm is twice as much, but it still is 2 times less than a full party. And in bg2 a solo char will reach 8million very quick so none of that even matters.
    If we're talking about solo characters, we're talking about a F/M/T that reaches cap which is played solo, and a F/M/T without cap which is played solo. Not comparing one to a party while both of them are solo. An uncapped F/M/T will gain much more HP, more APR, more spell slots, getting level 4 AND 5 spells which isn't possible with the cap on. There is a huge difference in thieving skills between a level 7 and 11 rogue.

So no matter how you turn it around, the difference between 6/6/7 and 9/11/11 is massive.

2 level 2 spells
    2 level 3 spells
    3 level 4 spells
    3 level 5 spells

100 thieving points (25 per level)

½ APR and 3 Thac0

HP for several levels
    edited August 2015
    @SionIV
    Im talking about power. The game expects certain abilities and level, breaking the game would be playing with a group that exceeds those expectations. Like a solo sorcerer for example. Playing an uncapped fmt grants nothing a simple party consisting of a fighter, a mage and a thief wouldnt bring to the table, therefore a fmt is within the boundaries of what the game expects and is perfectly playable, unless we consider a 3ppl party overpowered since they have the same abilities.

uncapped ftm solo==3ppl party == legit.

But yes on an absolute scale anything uncapped is more powerful than anything capped, the question is merely does it break the game or not and thanks to the exponential leveling curve it in most cases doesnt so im not sure where you come from with an idea about removing challenge, unless we consider "removing challenge from playing a solo char" which may be true(or not).
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Given the very specific bio. FMT does make sense (as does putting a pip in axes), also given the intended difficulty level I would also remove the XP cap (or re-write the bio, forget about axes and go F/M).
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Roller12 Simply put if the purpose is to increase the challenge by going solo, removing the xp cap is counterproductive.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Capped is much more fun. You really strategise more and make use of consumables with a capped FMT. Still a very easy class to solo with considering that you can kill drizzt with traps so easily.
    edited August 2015
    Wowo said:

Capped is much more fun. You really strategise more and make use of consumables with a capped FMT. Still a very easy class to solo with considering that you can kill drizzt with traps so easily.

What level and number of traps are you looking at to kill Drizzt?
    Post edited by johntyl on