Skip to content

Would you like BGEE to use the sprites for armor and weapons from the original, or BG2?

cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
As you know the shield styles, helmet styles, and general look of all the weapons and armor changed significantly in Baldur's Gate 2. It is said that BGEE will use the look of the Armor and Weapons from BG2. My question is why? I was expecting a purely ENHANCED rendition of Baldur's Gate 1. Not CHANGED. What do you think? It might be too late now if the game has been made to use BG2, but could we possibly at least have a menu option to use BG1 sprites over BG2
  1. Would you like BGEE to use the sprites for armor and weapons from the original, or BG2?74 votes
    1. Original BG1 Sprites
      63.51%
    2. BG2 Sprites
      36.49%
Post edited by cloakanddagger on

Comments

• cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
    I realize that it is most likely too late to change it either way, but I also know that the creators plan to update the game with patches. Could a menu option not be included as a patch?
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012
    @cloakanddagger I think this is in the wrong forum. It should be in BG:EE - General, this is in Volunteering - General.

1PP is going to be used. Erephine is working on it with the beta team and the guys at Beamdog. @AndreaColombo can explain it more in depth than me but I'll give it a shot.

In order to use the original BG1 sprites, new animations have to be drawn for duel wielding (as it wasn't in BG1 originally). There are coding issues which don't support the use of this original set in the BG2 engine.

Somebody mentioned that they could just rip the duel wielding animations from BG2 or 1PP and then draw matching ones later, but instead they're just going to replace the originals completely.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/153/bugfix-game-crashes-when-equipping-off-hand-weapons/p1

Can't say I'm enthusiastic, but I just hope they make a patch/mod to put them back after.
    @AndreaColombo I'm reasonably confident 1PP is just a 'what you get when you buy the game' thing and they'll address the dual-wielding error later. I don't reckon they were happy to release it using the BG2 sprites so 1PP was just a way of making a big problem marketable.

I wish I knew what inveterate meant.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    edited September 2012
    According to the authoritative Dictionary.com,
    in·vet·er·ate [in-vet-er-it]
    adjective
    1. settled or confirmed in a habit, practice, feeling, or the like: an inveterate gambler.
    2. firmly established by long continuance, as a disease, habit, practice, feeling, etc.; chronic.
    ;-)
    edited September 2012
    @AndreaColombo Since this is a PG-13 forum and breasts is a very dramatic word for the younger audience here, I'll use a different word.

I support the vanilla BG sprites because the females had 'more in the front', if you know what I mean. In fact, the maille and plate looks very good. Aside from the lack of sleeves and odd shoulder pads on the male fighters, pretty accurate. You can see the little hauberk and the leggings clearly.

BUT WHY IS THEIR POSTURE SO BAD? I thought Bodhi's was until I remembered these.

Then Erephine came along and gave them 'more protective' modest armour. BAHUMBUG. How am I meant to enjoy this game when all the boobies are covered up?
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited September 2012
    Give BG1 sprites damnit!! /yelling face

Sigh, if only dual wielding was implemented in BG1, we wouldn't have to put up with the sorry excuses for avatars that the BG2 sprites are -.-

I hope the stars align correctly and we are able to use BG1 animations as an option in BG:EE /wishful :]

P.S. I mean come on! If you put the BG1 animations in BG2 through Infinity Animations, you can see them side by side with the BG2 animations. BG2 sprites were more pixelated in the same resolutions, had less frames per animation, were mirrored, and looked like sh... er, something bad.

Since Erephine is putting in 1pp in BG:EE, why not put Infinity Animations if it's possible as an option?
  • beerflavourbeerflavour Member Posts: 117
    No clear answer from me.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4283/the-way-armor-looks

"I wish one could combine character models and armors. For example I like the BG2 human models better than the BG1 human models. On the other hand I prefer Elves and Half-Elves models from BG1 over BG2. Although the tower shield animation of BG2 looks a tad better than in BG1. Bucklers, small and mdium Shield designs from BG1 are kind of better than those from BG2. I could go on an on..."
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited September 2012
    I think the avatars from the original are much more detailed, especially in the ways the armor draws (sparkling chainmail, for example.

I don't think the BG2 avatars have enough contrast between the colors and the blacks that outline stuff, so they tend to look like bunches of colored blobs in some lightings instead of real armor and robes.
    Reading this makes me depressed that a: BG2 sprites blow and b: 1PP is being included and therefore a chance that originals won't ever be restored.

:( Time to go play vanilla BG.
    Vanilla BG1 had (still has) lots of charm. More than you'd think.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    The original sprites were just great, having the game anyother way wont make it baldurs gate 1, it removes an important aspect of the game which makes you feel like your playing the original baldurs gate.

Imagine Quake live being replaced by quake 4 graphics and gun designs, I would cry.
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    edited September 2012
    @AndreaColombo

I wonder if Overhaul would at least double the side sprites of the character looking either left or right and make them independent. This way the character still looks mirrored by default (therefore not touching original art), but would give modders the chance to re-draw new sprites.

Of course I'm assuming that the mirroring effect occurs because the character's left/right sprites are bound together and share the same animation when looking both sides. Is that correct?
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    They are still being really unclear on what exactly is restored and what isnt. How much of 1pp have they included? What armour/helmets are in? I think the one thing that will annoy me is the mirroring
    @excalibur_2102 That's right, 1PP doesn't fix mirroring either. :\
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I much prefer the BG2 sprites overall, but I liked the BG1 shields.

BG2 plate mail on male and female human warriors, which is my predominant choice of CHARNAME, just plain look ten times more awesome. Also, a two-handed sword isn't tiny in BG2.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Ward said:

I support the vanilla BG sprites because the females had 'more in the front', if you know what I mean.
    BUT WHY IS THEIR POSTURE SO BAD? I thought Bodhi's was until I remembered these.

Their posture is so bad *because* they have 'more in the front.' Trust me man those C cups are pretty heavy.

BG2 plate mail on male and female human warriors, which is my predominant choice of CHARNAME, just plain look ten times more awesome.

Funny. I think the exact opposite.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    While I'm not to worried about the animations (though mirroring is lame), I do like the BG1 shields a lot better than BG2.
    edited September 2012
    @AndreaColombo lol me too, i always hated the fact that in BG1 i can make out the shinguards from the sabatons even but in 2 it looked like skin tight with this liiitle knee cap ;x , although waist up it's ok.

Well to each his own of course :p

Gief option for BG1 sprites! ~_o the evil eye is watching!
    @Mornmagor - the upper part is actually my favorite in BG1 avatars donning a plate mail! LOL

@bigdogchris - BG1 shields are going to be in BG:EE, courtesy of @erephine.
    /Starts casting a mass scale voodoo curse

Leeeeeeeeeet's incluuuuuuuuuuuuude Infiiiiiniiiiiityyyyyyyy Aniiiiimaaaaaatiooons tooooooo ~_o !

~_o <- evil voodoo eye
    Quartz said:

Ward said:

I support the vanilla BG sprites because the females had 'more in the front', if you know what I mean.

Their posture is so bad *because* they have 'more in the front.' Trust me man those C cups are pretty heavy.
    Only C cups? They look bigger than that. Check out Shar-Teel, she's packing it in!