Skip to content

Is there a deity of home and hearth in the Forgotten Realms?

My question is the thread title.

In most mythology, there is such a deity, usually female.

Bastet from the Egyptian and Hera from the Greek come immediately to mind. Heck, even St. Nicholas deified into Santa Claus qualifies as a mythological deity of that portfolio.

So, which deity in FR is the deity of home and hearth? I know that Sharess is supposed to be Bastet reborn into the FR. So, is Bastet the appropriate deity? (Remember, the deity of home and hearth is also the deity of making children happy, healthy, glad, and thriving into adulthood, or at least that's a responsibility of the portfolio in my estimation.)

The only reference I can actually think of from FR lore is that Helm is the protector of children, and "Kind to children" (Neera, NWN2).

Heck, could Helm be the FR version of Santa Claus?

(If you know your history of real world lore and mythology, Santa was originally considered a "deity" of punishment as well as reward - he had a helper, "Black Pete", who would kidnap and kill unruly, disrespectful children. "Black Pete" was probably the source of the "coal in bad children's stockings" myth. Originally, that was meant to frighten unruly children as an omen that "Black Pete" was about to "get them"; that is, Black Pete was "the Boogeyman", and the earliest creators in history of our modern day Santa myth (mostly advertisers who wanted to sell CocaCola, and advertisers who wanted to sell retail goods by early 20th century department stores), created the "coal in your stocking" idea in place of the scarier, psychologically traumatizing "Black Pete" idea from European cultural history. )

Anyway, the childish part of me has always worshipped good old Santa (or Saint Nicholas, or Sinterklaas, or Father Christmas, or Dickens' "Ghost of Christmas Present") as a god, which led me to want to play clerics and mages (and druids) in fantasy games.

So, which deity in the FR corresponds? If the deity of home, hearth, and safe warmth for children is missing in FR, then I think that's an oversight on Ed Greenwood's part.

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Cyrrollalee

All I could find.
    2e Portfolio
    Friendship, trust, the home, the hearth, honesty, hospitality, crafts (especially weaving and needlework)

3e Portfolio
    Friendship, trust, the hearth, hospitality, crafts
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Vallmyr, wow, thanks, friend, she sounds like my kind of gal. Now, if only I had ever heard of her before, or she were included in any of our FR games (BG, NWN 1-2).

It's interesting to me that my values in real life correspond to halfling and dwarf values, but I am just below being defined as a human "giant" at 6'4" and 300 pounds in real life, such that I have trouble identifying with either of those "races".

I usually try to be some kind of Gandalfian cleric or mage in my games who has a soft spot in my heart for the dwarves and halflings.

What I am really looking for is a deity from the human pantheon that I could roleplay as a cleric or mage or druid of in the FR.

Oh, I was just thinking of the current Order of the Stick storyline about the "Northern Pantheon", so Freyja would qualify. But again, who (in the human pantheon) in the FR would qualify?

It doesn't help me for my "who's my god?" searching that most of the deities of home and hearth in mythology are female, while I can really only truly identify with a male deity. (I'm kind of a Santa Claus worshipper, remember. I know he doesn't exist, but he is the symbol of someone I would accept as @God if he were to ever bamf into existence right in front of my eyes and say the right things.)

I keep getting back to Helm as the only deity who ever gets mentioned in actual games as having the welfare of children in his portfolio.

At least through Helm, I would also have a connection to Tyr, and the trinity he represents, which includes Ilmater and Torm. Heck, that even solidifies a fantasy connection with real life Christianity, of which the Santa myth is also a part.

(Hmm, I guess my paladin-like true self is emerging here.)
    edited August 2015
    LOL - I just had an afterthought to all of this:

The thought of Silvanus is making me sing to myself "O, Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree, your branches green delight us!"

So, maybe Silvanus is the FR deity I want to be a devotee of. But, does he even take non-druid clerics or mages into his following?
    Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Found another one, this time it's a dwarf female though. Couldn't find any deities in the main human list. I'll look for sub-cultures and stuff now.
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Berronar_Truesilver
    @Vallmyr, thanks again, and shoot, what the heck is *wrong* with humans and their thrice-durned pantheon structure in FR? LOL
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    There is also Yondalla, head goddess of the halfling pantheon, best summed up by her title "the Protector and Provider".

Apart from that, there really is a conspicous lack of a "hearth" deiry in the Faerunian pantheon, but perhaps that is not so strange given it was developed for/alongside a game of adventuring. Eldath, a druidic nature deity of "natural pools, peace, and quiet places", has Family and Community as Domains, for some reason, but doesn't strike me as an otherwise "hearthy" deity. The closest related in concept, I would say is Chauntea, a nature, agriculture and fruitfulness goddess, but that may be bias on my part.

As for a deity of children in a Santa-esque way, that's a bit hazy as well. Ilmater might fit in a "protector of the weak" kind of way, and Lathander is the deity of Youth, but that is in a more "young, healthy adults" kind of way rather than concerning children. Liira, as the goddess of Festivals, Happiness and Joy, might fit the more jovial aspects of Ol' Nicky and the giftbringing stuff, but not the less savoury parts of his history. She also counts money and trade among her aspects, so she's got the X-mas capitalism covered too, heh. Liira also have Family among her domains, for what it's worth.

Lastly, about Bast/Sharess - she is pretty much just a hedonism goddess in FR lore, so family and hearth really isn't her thing. I looked through the rest of the Mulhorand pantheon and there's several there that might be relevant to the discussion. Isis is the most "hearthy" of their gods, counting agriculture, love, and narriage in her sphere of influence, and Family as one of her domains. For the "god of children" role, Nephthys is "the Avenging Mother" and "the Protector of Children and the Dead". Hathor is called "The Nurturing Mother" and "She Who is There For Those in Need", has Motherhood in her divine portfolio, and counts both Family and Community among her domains.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Luthic, wife of Gruumsh, is another goddess of Home, Family, and Fertility.
    Like all Orcish deities, the Cave Mother also regrettable changed her alignment with every single (A)D&D edition. From Lawful Evil (AD&D second edition), to Neutral Evil (D&D 3rd/3.5th edition), to frigging Chaotic Evil (D&D 4th edition). So depending on your take, a Lawful Neutral Half-Orc for instance might be compelled to worship the Blood Moon Witch.

• cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    I thought http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Chauntea handled the whole home and fertility "Goddess of Harvesttide" role - but the wiki leaves out anything but actual agriculture and Earth Mother referent.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NaveenNaveen Member Posts: 81
    edited August 2015
    There isn't one, as far as I know. But that shouldn't surprise, many FR deities (the humans, anyway) seem to me more like ascended superheroes than real gods as our cultures usually understood them. That's why there are many with martial & adventuring aspects, and a lot of evil ones. I'm not even sure if there is a "family" or "mother" portfolio/domain/sphere.

OK, I have investigated more and there is a family domain: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Family_domain_deities

For humans Hathor is the closest thing but, of course, it is not really a FR deity. Halflings have Yondalla and Dwarves have Berronar. Both are very close to what you want (family, children, protection, etc.)

edited August 2015

I would go with Lathander.

1) He's the god of the sun/dawn, and the Christmas holiday stems from the ancient pagan holiday for the Feast of Sol Invictus which was a pre-Christian middle-eastern sun god ("Sol Invictus" = "the unconquered sun" so the holiday was just after the winter solstice when the days began growing longer again. I know Sol Invictus and St. Nicholas are two separate traditions, but they have been combined in our modern secular Christmas holiday.)

2) From what I understand, Lathander is also concerned with something like "goodness and peace achieved via civilization and law" which, if you squint enough, is akin to the sphere of hearth & home.

@subtledoctor , Interesting, you just gave me a new avenue of research into our contemporary tradition of Christmas and all the myths surrounding it. I knew about the Saturnalia connection between Christmas as we know it and the early Holy Roman Imperial attempts, under Constantine and his immediate successors, to Christianize the beloved festivals of winter solstice of the people of the time, in that region. But I had never heard of "Sol Invictus". At first, I wanted to challenge your assertion, but, after a quick web search, I see that Sol Invictus is a thing. I'll have to research that whole connection some more. (Heat Miser-Snow Miser?)

However, as far as crpg's and Forgotten Realms, I have to say that I associate good old Santa Claus a lot more with winter solstice, the nadir of the sun and summer, snow and ice, home and hearth with warm fire to survive the snow and ice, yule logs, festivals of lights to brighten the dark winter solstice, reindeer and other freezing northern fauna, and evergreen Christmas trees.

That last tree connection, combined with my interest in druids, leads me to currently believe that my most personally harmonius FR god is Silvanus. I connect from there with sympathy to Chauntea, Mielikki, Lurue, Eldath, and even Selune.

Sun gods like Lathander, Amaunator, and real-world equivalents like Ra and Apollo just don't do it for me. I rather don't like the sun. I prefer the night, the moon, the stars, the winter, the evergreens, the snow, the cold, the nocturnal animals like cats, and all that.

So, for the time being, I'm going with Silvanus, Chauntea, and Selune as my greater deities of the essence of Christmas and Santa/Father Christmas/ Ghost of Christmas Present/ Father Time/ Old Man Winter.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    You know, the Dutch folklore "black pete" or "zwarte piet" is challenged to be racism rather than folklore/tradition. that is sooo weird to me...
    @Iroumen, hmmm, that's interesting. I had only been aware of the medieval tradition of "Black Pete" being a demon captured and subdued by Saint Nicholas, and I thought it might have evolved into the idea of Santa's elves in the American tradition. I was not aware of the tradition in the Netherlands, and the controversy surrounding that. That particular part of Christmas mythology has never been present in the United States, and I didn't know about it at all until I studied the history of Christmas traditions as an adult.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Iroumen - Not "rather than". To be a tradition featuring racism.