Skip to content

BG1 Spell Sounds

This can be considered a reply to https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/5429/spell-casting-sound-spell-chant-in-bg-ee which is unfortunately now archived. The final post in that thread hinted to an old mod enabling BG1 spell sounds (incantations) in BG2, and I'm one of the people who much prefers the BG1 incantations and was disappointed when they were changed to the BG2 ones in BG1:EE.

So, the good news - the Tutu mod to restore the spell sounds works absolutely perfectly with BG1:EE. I did as follows:

1. Download the mod from http://mods.pocketplane.net/Tutusounds_v4.exe

2. Extract the exe, which is actually an archive. I don't know what would happen if you tried to run it instead of extracting it because I'm a mac person - I actually extracted it with 7zip (you could use winrar on windows). Maybe running it would work? not sure. Anyway, if you figure it out, you should now have a tutusounds/ directory containing wavs, wavs2, wavs3.

3. Copy the wav files from wavs, wavs2, wavs3 to the override folder in your BG:EE installation. On Mac I found that in Applications/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/000777/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition.app (I right clicked the app and clicked "Show package contents"), then Contents, Resources, finally override.

4. Awesome! Now your spells sound more like Gorion and less like Harry Potter.

I'm posting this because I googled extensively and there wasn't an answer, and I couldn't reply to the archived thread. Hope this helps someone who is as nostalgic for the old caster sounds as I am.

Comments

• AlvarnAlvarn Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2015
    Note that you don't want to copy the actual wav, wavs2, wavs3 folders but just the files inside them to override.

Also, I assume this would work fine with BG2:EE as well - though I'll be keeping the BG2 spell sounds for BG2. I just want the games to be as close to the originals as possible! :-)
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    I think this is a component of some other mod too, maybe SCS or BG2 Tweaks? I can't check because the site is down, though.