Skip to content

Amulet of Power for Paladins in BG2:EE? David Gaider said YES!

GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 267
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Seriously planning out what class to start with in BG:EE and the Amulet Of Power in BG2 is critical to what kit i will choose for the Paladin.

according to this "From the Balderdash read-me: Amulet Of Power Usability Fix

File AMUL21.ITM; a edited version of the Baldur's Gate 2: Throne Of Bhaal item definition for the Amulet Of Power. It resolves the bugs of this amulet being wearable by barbarians and monks, who are not spellcasters, but not paladins and rangers, who are. The amulet should be available only for all spellcasting classes (Mage/sorceror, bard, druid, cleric, paladin, and ranger.) This was confirmed by Senior Designer David Gaider on the Black Isle messageboards, who also confirmed that Inquisitor paladins should have access to it though they cannot cast priest spells as their innate abilities are spell-like and they are members of a spellcasting class. Its protection from level drain will not be useful to an Undead Hunter paladin."

Any idea if this bug will be fixed?

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I've always wanted the amulet of power to be wearable by fighters as well. Prot from level drain is seriously powerful.
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 267
    well its supposed to be for spellcasting classes mage/sorceror, bard, druid, cleric, paladin, and rangers only.
    I dont see why a magic item that effects only mages or clerics should be unwearable by fighter. If I want to give my fighter a ring of wizardry I think that should be ok, and the amulet of power would be useful for a fighter anyway. If rangers and pallys should be allowed it why shouldn't fighters?
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    @ajwz
    My theory, from an RP perspective: the amulet of power requires some sort of basic "magic know-how" in order to activate its powers, thus it makes sense that only spellcasting classes may use it...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited September 2012
    @ajwz Fighters don't really benefit much from protection from level drain, at least compared to spell casters.
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    @elminster

The consequences of level drain may be more serious for a spell caster, but in my experience fighters are more likely to be exposed to it. On the front line fighting vampires, say.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    This would be nice, but my liberal applications of Negative Plane Protection before I ever run into any dungeon where level drain is an issue suggest this is kind of a superfluous thing.

Also, my scrolls of protection from undead say hello.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @SandmanCCL

I think every 4th level spell slot on my Cavalier were filled with NPP
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    Don't attack me but why would you give it to your paladin instead of the partys wizard? Reduced casting time on a wizard/sorcerer is deadly.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @JonIenthlrenicus

Honestly normally I gave it to my pet cleric, so they can cast restoration on anyone else who needs it. Mage would be my second choice.
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 267
    I put it on my Paladin when I'm soloing.

This would be nice, but my liberal applications of Negative Plane Protection before I ever run into any dungeon where level drain is an issue suggest this is kind of a superfluous thing.

Also, my scrolls of protection from undead say hello.

Ah yes, but it only lasts 5 rounds, aka 30secs :(
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    It's going to be (hah!) good fun having a Blackguard PC or Dorn in the party just wade through vampires like they were nothing. Oh no, not 2d8+3 claw/bite damage, anything but that! *stab* *crit* *slash* *vampire bits everywhere* Muahahaha!

As for the Amulet of Power on Paladins, meh. I always give it to Viconia, Aerie, Anomen, or Jaheira.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Let's just say I'm anticipating a high rate of adoption of BG2 Fixpack fixes for BG2EE, and this is one of them.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    CamDawg said:

Let's just say I'm anticipating a high rate of adoption of BG2 Fixpack fixes for BG2EE, and this is one of them.

I believe they've already stated that established fixes are going to be included, so you're probably right.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324

Only problem with this approach is that it sucks up all your level 4 slots. I just love my Defensive harmoney and Poison and Protection From Evil 10' Radius. And Mental Domination's not bad too. Maybe throw a holy Power in there as well...

I'd rather just throw the Amulet of Power on one person (who preferably also has some sort of Charm Protection) and have them dredge up all the level draining crap while I save my spell slots for more entertaining things.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I'm not a fan of Protection from Evil 10' radius. I'd rather load up a bunch of level 1 slots with protection from evil because they last longer and I only ever have just one or two guys taking aggro.

Poison and Mental Domination are not worth a damn against vampires. Doesn't affect them. Waste of a spell slot. If you leave them on when you're plumbing the depths of a vampire den, well. Okay. I don't know why you would. It's all about situational spell selection! :D

Keep in mind by the time you fight the vampires, you should have the Mace of Disruption, and if you get that you should clearly upgrade it to the Mace of Disruption +2. Free negative plane protection right there. Then you've got your Amulet of Power on another guy. Only really need a few casts of NPP on your other potential front line fighters.