Skip to content

So

So like um I'm assuming I have to buy the Enhanced Edition or whatever in order to play this upcoming expansion. But once I buy it, can I just transfer my old saves from the original over to EE or do I have to play through it all over again??

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    The original saves are not supported by the Enhanced Editions.
  • johnpaul88johnpaul88 Member Posts: 18
    NOOO! It will take up so much of my life to play through again! Haha, I guess it's not realyl a bad thing. I was just hoping to pick up the adventure from the middle section that it is meant to take place in. To give a sense of being thrown right back into the adventure with old familiar friends, rather than have to paly through the introductions again.
    Oh well it will be realyl fun to play through it again and see how the Enhanced Edition is, anyways. Maybe I'll even try out a new character!
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    edited August 2015
    From what I've read SoD will provide you with a premade party (by that I mean you will be assigned a group of BG NPCs depending on the alignment of the PC you start the game with) if you want to jump right into it. And, you shouldn't have too much trouble recreating a character from vanilla by assigning the same stats, name, etc. to a newly created character file.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    kcwise said:

And, you shouldn't have too much trouble recreating a character from vanilla by assigning the same stats, name, etc. to a newly created character file.

All the vanilla (and non-vanilla) NPCs will be in SoD anyways (and playable to some extent) so I don't think there will be any need to re-create characters.

OK, to be fair all the devs said was you can *import* any of the NPCs you like, but I think it is likely you will also be able to get each of them in the expansion.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    edited August 2015
    cmk24 said:

kcwise said:

And, you shouldn't have too much trouble recreating a character from vanilla by assigning the same stats, name, etc. to a newly created character file.

All the vanilla (and non-vanilla) NPCs will be in SoD anyways (and playable to some extent) so I don't think there will be any need to re-create characters.

OK, to be fair all the devs said was you can *import* any of the NPCs you like, but I think it is likely you will also be able to get each of them in the expansion.
    What I meant was that it wouldn't be hard to recreate a favorite PC from a vanilla game, not that you would need to recreate NPCs.
    Interesting. I wonder if one of those premade parties you mention will include the canon party who starts off in the dungeon in BG2 with you?

Which NPCs are you gonna take? For me I'm gonna use this as a chance to show how Xan and Safana parted ways with my party and to transition nicely using the party you start with in BG2. But I will very likely try some other characters (as I heard there are new ones in Enhanced Edition) and reconfigure my party a few times before getting to the ending of SoD.
    I'm gonna buy BG:EE today.... so excited to return!!!!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited September 2015
    kcwise said:

Recreating is not even necessary. If you create a character file in vanilla BG using the Character Record page>Export function, the same character can be imported in BG:EE using the New Game>Create Character>Import function. Though you might want to take a new portrait, the old portraits have lower res than the EE ones.

Vanilla: exported character files can be found in the character folder inside the main game folder

Enhanced Edition: character files you want to import should be placed in a folder named characters inside My Documents\Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition

Just export a level 1 character from the start of your vanilla campaign to maintain the challenge in the game, as the new EE game will start back from Candlekeep and won't be a challenge if you export your character at a time she or he is already halfway the adventure.

*edit: folder to import characters should be named My Documents\Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition\characters
    (plural)

Thank you very much for that information! But... If I just wanted to import my character from the end of BG1, and into the beginning of Siege of Dragonspear, that would make sense, right? Considering that would be how powerful (high level) they should be for that point in the story, yes?
    edited September 2015

Thank you very much for that information! But... If I just wanted to import my character from the end of BG1, and into the beginning of Siege of Dragonspear, that would make sense, right? Considering that would be how powerful (high level) they should be for that point in the story, yes?

If it is possible to import a character to the point where SoD takes of, yes. But that's not at all sure, perhaps not even probable. SoD is an expansion to BG:EE, not a separate game, so the way it's meant to be played is as a continuation of the story. If it's possible to create a game starting at the beginning of SoD, hasn't been revealed by the devs. I wouldn't know.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    You can import a character into the beginning of SoD in the same way as you can import characters into the start of ToB. That's why it has alignment based default starting parties.
    Fardragon said:

You can import a character into the beginning of SoD in the same way as you can import characters into the start of ToB. That's why it has alignment based default starting parties.

Yes, now I remember, sorry for my misinformation in my post above.
  • NatregNatreg Member Posts: 100

If it is possible to import a character to the point where SoD takes of, yes. But that's not at all sure, perhaps not even probable. SoD is an expansion to BG:EE, not a separate game, so the way it's meant to be played is as a continuation of the story. If it's possible to create a game starting at the beginning of SoD, hasn't been revealed by the devs. I wouldn't know.
    You can create a new character on SoD. It was revealed during the demo when they did exactly that.

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Siege of Dragonspear is to Baldur's Gate what Throne of Bhaal was to Baldur's Gate 2. It's an expansion that can be played independently.

I suppose Tales of the Sword Coast was never the equivalent of ToB in that regard. It was still a great expansion, though.
  • NatregNatreg Member Posts: 100
    Kilivitz said:

Siege of Dragonspear is to Baldur's Gate what Throne of Bhaal was to Baldur's Gate 2. It's an expansion that can be played independently.

I suppose Tales of the Sword Coast was never the equivalent of ToB in that regard. It was still a great expansion, though.

Well, on the original version of the game, there was a special savegame to start Tales of the Sword Coast from there. Not exactly independent, but it was a good option to have.