Skip to content

Im bad at BG, a few questions.

2»

Comments

• SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    @AHF: Kensais also benefit from that Girdle of Piercing. A -3 against missile attacks is critical; these are usually the attacks that get the Kensai. I think they can wear boots of missile avoidance too!
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    @fake_sketch. Yes. It's just a named weapon as apposed to a generic +1 long sword
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389

@Cloutier LOL That's a great point

And just to add my voice in, UAI totally allows thieves to use heavy armour. In fact, I would even disagree with @sandmanCCL who says that they're better off in something that allows stealth because by the time UAI comes along, potions of invisibility are plentiful. Quaff it, backstab, have no fear of retaliation thanks to your great AC. Even quaff another one and backstab again.

Potions of invisibility are how my Assassin won his duel against Sarevok ;)

That's a very good point. As a guy who is a shameless consumables whore, I never thought about doing that. +1 to you, sir.

I think my Kensai/Thief I beat the game with forever ago ran around with the Human Flesh +5. Didn't really care about AC on that guy because I would just constantly run in and out of sight with his boots of speed, stealth again, then come back to clobber a guy. That +4 to all saves and 20% magic resistance helped keep him alive pretty damn good.

@reedmilfam: Cool. I applaud your efforts. Early game is going to be really tough for pure Kensai in BG1 for sure. I'd recommend playing him as any non-human simply because they all get such crazy bonuses. Dwarf would suffer from a lack of AC even greater than your other guys til you got the tome of dexterity but the extra HP and ridiculous saving throws would be good. I think I'd recommend going Gnome, honestly.

You'll also want to bring along a mage to cast Spirit and eventually Ghost armor on your guy. Can't be Dynaheir either because she can't use conjurations.

@Fake_Sketch: Yep. If it's not listed on the weapon, the +Thac0 or +extra damage on the weapon usually what the weapon is considered for purposes of breaking through magical defenses.

@Silence: Don't forget mages can cast Protection from Normal Missiles on any target they want.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @SandmanCCL

You might even want to bring along jaheria for a bit just to cast barkskin on your character rather early.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Silence said:

@AHF: Kensais also benefit from that Girdle of Piercing. A -3 against missile attacks is critical; these are usually the attacks that get the Kensai. I think they can wear boots of missile avoidance too!

This is a good point. You really could juggle all the different belts with a Kensai so that when an Ogre comes at you with a club you switch the girdle that protect against crushing blows, etc.

The missile attacks are the worst for sure with the Kensai in BG1.

• sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    @Dragonspear: Good call again. I dunno why I always forget about that spell. It's probably because it's a very limited usefulness spell. Unless you're a Diviner or Invoker, the level 1 Armor is just as good on your arcane casters til your priest hits 4, I think. Clerics never need it because they get more AC out of their heavy armors. It is helpful on druids really late game simply because the best leather armors are not quite as good.

I actually use Barkskin on my summoned creatures most of the time. It's fun when you manage to get a big-ass brown bear summoned and then make it tanky by way of barkskin.
    Yeah, Kensais have a lot of ways to improve their AC. Potions are another way. Barkskin alone almost makes Jaheria worth bringing. Protection from Arrows is good too. But I like having passive AC bonus as opposed to the (however long-term) buffs.

Does Protection from Arrows guard you from Acid/Fire/Cold Arrows?
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I think my efforts will be applauded up to the time of my untimely demise. With the last of the BhallSpawn reduced to dust, Sarevok will enslave Tiax and he will rule all!
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    Another question, how do epic lvl skills work? If I dualed from fighter at lvl 12 can I ever get epic fighter skills?
    edited September 2012
    No, I don't think you can. :( You must advance to epic levels in the class. And if you're going to dual, I'd wait until level 13 for fighter - extra half-attack :)