Skip to content

Most valuable items

Hello,

Out of curiosity, is there a list of in-game prices? Searched around but didn't find nothing with the gold values.

Just to see what are the most expensive itens in the world.

Thx

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    This FAQ by Dan Simpson lists all the stores and their respective stocks, including prices. It also lists all gems in the game and how much you can sell them for.

The most expensive individual items in the game, IIRC, are the Robes of the Good/Neutral Archimagi, which have a base price of 20k gold (not considering discounts you may get for reputation and a high CHA, of course).

The most precious gems are Diamonds (500gp), Star Sapphires (1000gp) and Rogue Stones (2500gp).
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    dierde and joluv ( the 2 special merchants, one is in the adventurers mart, the other in the copper cohornet) sell the most expensive gear in the game, plate of balduran is around 44 000 gold
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Deidre and I are in BG2, though.
  • ilhdrilhdr Member Posts: 33
    Interesting.

What about items outside merchants, is there anything?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    the holy avenger is probably worth a lot, when I go to sell it, the store wants to give me 6000 GP for it, basically all the cool jazz you find that isn't in a store will rarely ever pay you more than 3000 gold, in ToB, the upgraded weapons you make can sometimes be worth quite a bit, but are usually worth less than what you made them for
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    The thing that would diminish the value of the Holy Avenger is that it only works for a very small market. Well that and Paladins cannot retain wealth (not enforced in the game).

It would be like determining the value of something made for Cistercian Monks...
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    A Ring of Wizardry sells for 9000 gold, if I recall correctly. Don't know how it compares to other clearly-expensive magic gear, as I don't know the sell-to-buy algorithm of the game (if there is any of course).
    Items have a base price and then each merchant has a set percentage of that for buying prices and a separate one for selling prices. So in BG1, most merchants will (by default) buy items from you for 50% of the base price and sell them to you for 150% of the base price. Charisma discounts and reputation modifiers get applied to the sell price. Depreciation gets applied to the buy price, so most merchants will pay less for an item depending on how many of that item they already have in stock. In BG2 most merchants will only give you 30% of an item's base value, but there are exceptions.

This means that to get the base price of an item, you should (in most cases) take the price from the Dan Simpson FAQ and multiply it by 8/9, since he was getting a 25% charisma bonus off the 150% sell price and (1-1/4)*3/2=9/8.

TL;DR: The Ring of Wizardry is worth 18000 GP, and the Robes of Archmagi are worth 20500 GP.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @joluv I was about to assume those robes would be right there near the top-most-expensive items, seeing their initial price at High Hedge, but usually didn't really pay enough attention because, by the time i get the Robe of the Evil Archmage, *IF* I do not require it, I blindly sell it because I'll usually be swarmed 80-100 thousand gold. Ring of Wizardry I knew simply because, when I sell it, I do so early due to availability at the Friendly Arm Inn, and decent money trade to buy something that might be more worth it.

Thanks for the info though, that's certainly a nifty piece of data that can be useful for future characters!
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    how much can you sell that elven chain mail +5 you upgrade for 20K gold in tob? :P
    It's worth 30K GP, so most merchants will pay 9K, and the upgrade costs 40K, not 20K.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    The wand of wonders can be sold for more than five thousand gold.