Skip to content

most interesting NPC duos or trios

triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Which duos or trios (or even entire parties!) do you think make for the most interesting/entertaining travelling companions?

Interesting dialogue, changes to quest outcomes, fights, deaths, humor all contribute. Not really looking to debate most powerful groups, want to hear who you think are the most entertaining groups.

Comments

• DelinomDelinom Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2012
    As I'm almost heading towards Suldanesselar in my latest BG2 re-run, I have to say: Korgan and Mazzy!!!

They get along so "well" for a LG and CE combination... Korgan is always hitting on her and failing miserably... and they are also so powerful and interesting NPC's on their own! I'm glad I picked them up despite being a very, very unlikely "duo".
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    Delinom said:

As I'm almost heading towards Suldanesselar in my latest BG2 re-run, I have to say: Korgan and Mazzy!!!

They get along so "well" for a LG and CE combination... Korgan is always hitting on her and failing miserably... and they are also so powerful and interesting NPC's on their own! I'm glad I picked them up despite being a very, very unlikely "duo".

That is pretty cool, I will have to try that out in BG2EE. What party dynamics do you like in BG1?

• DelinomDelinom Member Posts: 46
    BG1 is full of "fixed" duos which I really believe hurt the game to an extent. That been said, the main reason anyone keeps Montaron and Xzar until the end of the game - and I know I will in BG:EE - is their interjections and party interactions.

Not the most powerful NPC's by any means, but I really do feel like they add a lot of roleplaying value and fun to the game...
  • jpierce55jpierce55 Member Posts: 86
    Korgan and Aerie!
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    I'll keep it to just BG1 since we're going to be playing BG:EE in just under 2 weeks now.

Personalities I like best:

Imoen
    Khalid
    Minsc
    Garrick
    Yeslick

so strictly for traveling companions that would be who I'd pick if NPC pairs may be broken up.

If NPC pairs are not to be sundered then:

Imoen
    Xan
    Garrick
    Kivan
    Coran
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    edited September 2012
    I think DSimpson had a list on gamefaqs of certain combinations that elicited amusing results (although sometimes resulting in death). Some that I remember I'll include below.

Kivan and Viconia (I believe that Xan also has interesting interjections with both and maybe Coran)
    Kagain and Yeslick (One of them will likely end up dying)
    Tiax and Quayle (One of them will likely end up dying)
    Edwin and Alora
    Eldoth and Shar-Teel (One of them will likely end up dying)
    Minsc, Edwin, Dynaheir (I think Dynaheir ends up picking a fight with Edwin with one of her dialogues)

in BG2 I've heard of the following:
    Keldorn and Anomen (In the terms of Mentor/Learner)
    Mazzy and Valygar (Although having to listen to him constantly tell her no he doesn't want to be her squire got tiresome)
    Mazzy and Korgan (Mentioned earlier)
    Aerie and Minsc
    Aerie, Haer'dalis, PC Male (romancing Aerie (I think this love triangle made it in)
    Keldorn and Viconia (One of them will likely end up dying)
    CN Anomen and Anyone who picks on him (Will likely end with a dead Anomen)
    Korgan and Aerie (Forgot about this one. Thanks @Jpierce55 for the reminder)
    Minsc and Edwin Return!
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Xzar and Monty!!!
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I'll not ramble on (as I so often do).
    Cernd and Keldorn have very insightful banters. In ToB, they have a very very funny exchange. I'm not sure if any of you may know of it. So many people belittle Cernd, but as a party member - interactively and in combat - I find he's really good to have around. *shrug*
  • GrandeCGrandeC Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2012
    I'm playing BG1 non-tutu right now and Shar-Teel, Branwen, and Viconia are constantly complimenting each other. Branwen has a little back story with Tranzig. Kivan has his interactions with Tazok and Viconia of course. Someone more knowledgeable should correct me but I seem to remember Shar-Teel has connections with one of the big wigs in Baldur's Gate.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @GrandeC

You would be correct, her father is Angelo. (re: shar-teel)
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited September 2012
    Eldoth, Skie, Garrick and Shar-Teel is a favourite combination of mine.
    I don't think Imoen has any interjections with anyone since her voice set was originally a non-NPC guard and was a last minute change, right?
    Post edited by Jaxsbudgie on
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    GrandeC said:

,,,Someone more knowledgeable should correct me but I seem to remember Shar-Teel has connections with one of the big wigs in Baldur's Gate.

Shar-Teel is Angelo's daughter.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

Haha, I can definitely see this happening. Usually don't include either of them for very long as I'm not too fond of their personalities, but this might actually be good to see.

• JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Shin said:

Haha, I can definitely see this happening. Usually don't include either of them for very long as I'm not too fond of their personalities, but this might actually be good to see.

It's pretty blatant who ends up dying.

• raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    most interesting duo for me was xzar and montaron because at the beginning i didnt knwo anything about them and they allways seemed to hate each other for no apparent reason and still traveled together.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    edited September 2012

I think DSimpson had a list on gamefaqs of certain combinations that elicited amusing results (although sometimes resulting in death).

Here it is:
    And here are some interesting party combinations:

Have Minsc, Dynaheir and Edwin in the same party. Since Edwin wants to kill
    Dynaheir, Minsc gets all surly and protective.

Viconia and Kivan have a love-hate relationship, and also Viconia is very
    dimissive about Xan.

Put Yeslick and Kagain together to see just how different two Dwarves can be.
    Yeslick DESPISES Kagain.

Safana and Coran. Coran will flirt shamelessly with Safana, and she will
    rebuff his every attempt, quite humorously.

Quayle and Tiax. These two really don't like each other. Plus they're
    fairly amusing on their own.

Faldorn and Jaheira don't like each other either, as they belong to opposing
    druidic groups.

Put Eldoth, Skie, and Garrick together for a wild Love Triangle. Heh.
    (c) http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/75251-baldurs-gate/faqs/2456